Qatar work visa

Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

damo47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar work visa

Hi everyone

I have been offered a job, but have a criminal record from 17 years ago. Does anyone know if this would stop me working or getting a visa. In the Uk it has no effect in any way except put some employers off. Any advice would be appreciated
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

captainjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qatar work visa

Originally Posted by damo47
Hi everyone

I have been offered a job, but have a criminal record from 17 years ago. Does anyone know if this would stop me working or getting a visa. In the Uk it has no effect in any way except put some employers off. Any advice would be appreciated
Really hate to be the bearer of bad news but they do ask for a police clearance report so if it was committed after the age of 18 then it will show on your disclosure report. Its actually a pre-requisite to come out here in addition to passing medical checks, no way around them.

Last edited by captainjack; Feb 19th 2014 at 5:07 pm. Reason: added extra info
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:08 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainjack
Really hate to be the bearer of bad news but they do ask for a police clearance report so if it was committed after the age of 18 then it will show on your disclosure report.
It depends what your job is here. Out of 10 of my friends maybe only 1 or 2 had to have the police clearance. What job is it?

It also depends on the Employer - Maybe government workers need them.........
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76
It depends what your job is here. Out of 10 of my friends maybe only 1 or 2 had to have the police clearance. What job is it?

It also depends on the Employer - Maybe government workers need them.........
My bad, thought it was a mandatory pre-requisite. What jobs/industries are your friends in where its not needed?
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

JamesandTamsin is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't have to have my records checked, though I hasten to add there wouldn't be anything incriminating to find. Must be employer specific
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Totally understand having the check, but is it a pre-requisite that visas are only granted if you have a clear police record, regardless of when the offence was committed etc. Do you know if visas have been granted if anyone has an offence on the police check or do Qatar insist on a complete clean check?
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Totally understand having the check, but is it a pre-requisite that visas are only granted if you have a clear police record, regardless of when the offence was committed etc. Do you know if visas have been granted if anyone has an offence on the police check or do Qatar insist on a complete clean check?
If the role insists on a police check - apparently it depends on employer requesting it - and it comes back with a history there is no way you are getting a Visa period. Think about it, whats the point of requesting a disclosure report and allowing you into the country if there is history of crime(s) on it?
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

My employer asked me to get a police clearance (criminal record). It seems it is an employer -and not a visa- requirment.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im already here and havent heard anything on police records.
i hope they wont ask them, I didnt bring it, and it would be a pain to get it
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:17 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Like most things in Qatar, the need to provide a criminal record check is his and miss. Some private firms manage without, government employers usually require one.

I from personal experience, a Basic Disclosure from Disclosure Scotland is all that is required for your work permit (RP). So it will only show up 'unspent' convictions. You can order one online, as long as you have a uk address. It will require to be attested by a Uk solicitor, stamped by the FCO (Milton Keynes), Qatar Embassy (London) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Doha, near Gulf Signal).

Usually your employer helps with all of this, they hire Pros that know how to work the system.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

I from personal experience, a Basic Disclosure from Disclosure Scotland is all that is required for your work permit (RP). So it will only show up 'unspent' convictions. You can order one online, as long as you have a uk address. It will require to be attested by a Uk solicitor, stamped by the FCO (Milton Keynes), Qatar Embassy (London) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Doha, near Gulf Signal).

Usually your employer helps with all of this, they hire Pros that know how to work the system.[/QUOTE]

Cheers for that, I need to speak to my new employer before accepting the offer regarding this
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Ang76 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just going throught the process and the airline say only local hires require police clearance and they are a govt org so the process seems inconsistent....probably safest to get a certificate and have it attested
Old Oct 30th 2014, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Governmental and anything attached to the public sector usually ask for clearance but private sector very rarely .

Remember the Taliban have an office here and the exiled leader of Hamas is a resident . I doubt those lads would pass a police clearance .