Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

QATAR - Salary comparison to UK

QATAR - Salary comparison to UK

Old May 25th 2012, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

london_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura about
Default QATAR - Salary comparison to UK

Hi All,

I am British and have recently accepted a job in Doha. It is with company which is well known in the western world. In UK, after tax I get about 65 to 70k GBP per year (including bonus, etc).

In Qatar I am offered roughly 620k QAR per annum (including bonus). In essence monthly I will get 39K SAR and annual bonus + flights, etc all in cash comes up to 620k QAR figure.

So its 70k vs 103k GPB (620 QAR translates to 103k GBP).

Total difference is about 30k extra savings per annum, given that apart from housing the rest of the cost of living is very cheap and of high quality/luxury.

What do you guys think?

Have I short sold myself?
Old May 25th 2012, 4:51 pm
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all
Default Re: QATAR - Salary comparison to UK

Sounds like you are coming out here for the same money you get in the UK but are just not paying any tax.

There was no way I was accepting that sort of deal and managed to get 30k more sterling on top of my UK gross salary i.e before tax.

Your cost of living will be slightly higher here but whether you have sold yourself short or not will depend on what you do and how experienced you are.
Old May 25th 2012, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Rule of thumb is UK salary +50%, but of course it depends on the rest of the steal.
Old May 25th 2012, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult to comment on package until we know what sort of work you do.
Old May 26th 2012, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

london_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura aboutlondon_lad has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone. It gets really confusing and messed up with allowances and add ons. However, if I combine everything then this is the comparison:

Gross before tax in UK is 105k GBP (of which bonus not guaranteed and last year I got less, so using the year before bonus for calculations)

Gross in Qatar = 112k GBP (with 6 as conversion rate rather than 5.7 - to be on conservative side). Additional benefits include interest free loan, etc.

On Net basis (ie, after tax in UK) the difference is about 45k GBP more in Qatar. Which is a considerably higher jump than I could ever get in the UK.

For people who say rule of thumb is 50% more I think are people with lower salaries in UK (ie, in range of 30 to 60). When you go above 100k GBP in UK, then you sort of start hitting the ceiling. The reason I say is that I havent heard of anyone in my profession's circle getting this much in the middle east. The max I have heard is someone reaching 35k QAR/AED/SAR range.

My area of work is accounting/auditing.

Any insights would be helpful.
Old May 26th 2012, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london_lad
Thanks everyone. It gets really confusing and messed up with allowances and add ons. However, if I combine everything then this is the comparison:

Gross before tax in UK is 105k GBP (of which bonus not guaranteed and last year I got less, so using the year before bonus for calculations)

Gross in Qatar = 112k GBP (with 6 as conversion rate rather than 5.7 - to be on conservative side). Additional benefits include interest free loan, etc.

On Net basis (ie, after tax in UK) the difference is about 45k GBP more in Qatar. Which is a considerably higher jump than I could ever get in the UK.

For people who say rule of thumb is 50% more I think are people with lower salaries in UK (ie, in range of 30 to 60). When you go above 100k GBP in UK, then you sort of start hitting the ceiling. The reason I say is that I havent heard of anyone in my profession's circle getting this much in the middle east. The max I have heard is someone reaching 35k QAR/AED/SAR range.

My area of work is accounting/auditing.

Any insights would be helpful.
Just one tip... Don't assume you will be getting any bonus. A bonus is exactly that - a bonus.

Whether you will be better off depends, largely, on the number of dependants. If you have kids they can be expensive (don't forget the free education in the UK vs. paid for in Qatar).
Old May 26th 2012, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Hi All,

Total difference is about 30k extra savings per annum, given that apart from housing the rest of the cost of living is very cheap and of high quality/luxury.

What do you guys think?

Have I short sold myself?
I think you need more research. The cost of living is very high. accommodation, utilities car purchase/rental, school fees etc all need to be included in the equation.
Old May 26th 2012, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys.

The bonus is guaranteed. Even without bonus I will be better of by around 27,000 GBP per annum on a net basis (ie, net take home in UK vs Qatar)

We dont have any kids, so no worries about that for next few years.

Cost of living is higher than UK? really guys?

I understand about the housing, but everything else seemed dirt cheap compared to UK. Think about it those who have been out of UK for long time (eg, Council tax, energy bills, car insurance, food, 20% VAT, Petrol, etc.

As an example: in UK it goes around 150 GBP each week for weekly shopping vs, I went to LuLu in Doha and took an inventory of what we buy every week, and even went overboard with extra 100 QAR in my calculation and it came up around 500QAR which is 50GBP saving per week in comparison.

I feel I am having the same problem as QL crowd (over there most of the people are from Asia region and they think I will live like a king on this salary), while over here I think people were lowly paid in UK and not in senior management position like myself and for them the jumps were crazy in comparison to their UK incomes.

Anyone here above more than 35k QAR range?
Old May 26th 2012, 7:32 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Remember to factor in the following, which you won't get in Qatar:

Job security
Employment right, of any kind
Pension
Sickness benefit
Healthcare, other than basic Hamad Hospital randomness
Decent holidays (30 callendar days being the norm)

[J]
Old May 27th 2012, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

The bonus is guaranteed. Even without bonus I will be better of by around 27,000 GBP per annum on a net basis (ie, net take home in UK vs Qatar)

I understand about the housing, but everything else seemed dirt cheap compared to UK. Think about it those who have been out of UK for long time (eg, Council tax, energy bills, car insurance, food, 20% VAT, Petrol, etc.

As an example: in UK it goes around 150 GBP each week for weekly shopping vs, I went to LuLu in Doha and took an inventory of what we buy every week, and even went overboard with extra 100 QAR in my calculation and it came up around 500QAR which is 50GBP saving per week in comparison.

I feel I am having the same problem as QL crowd (over there most of the people are from Asia region and they think I will live like a king on this salary), while over here I think people were lowly paid in UK and not in senior management position like myself and for them the jumps were crazy in comparison to their UK incomes.

You'll not shop in Lu Lu for long it's a toilet , it's not cheap to live here that's for sure . We can spend 700 QAR a week on shopping and there's only two of us.

Throw in a few nights out as well and it creeps up . 64 QAR for a bottle of Magners cider , yes 11 quid.....
Old May 27th 2012, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Doha? - A Nation Yawns!
Old May 27th 2012, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
You'll not shop in Lu Lu for long it's a toilet , it's not cheap to live here that's for sure . We can spend 700 QAR a week on shopping and there's only two of us.

Throw in a few nights out as well and it creeps up . 64 QAR for a bottle of Magners cider , yes 11 quid.....
agreed - Lu Lu's, carrefore and geante are totally the lower end of the produce chain - their fruit and veg is totally shyte.
Old May 27th 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

What is the QL crowd? Is 70K in the UK really "senior management" these days??! Sounds like you have an over inflated opinion of yourself that isn't quite matched by your salary.
Old May 27th 2012, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
What is the QL crowd? Is 70K in the UK really "senior management" these days??! Sounds like you have an over inflated opinion of yourself that isn't quite matched by your salary.
I think you didnt really read the whole thread. 70k is after tax a senior management (Director) level position (yes still in UK). This is after paying 40% tax. You do the maths for gross now.
Old May 27th 2012, 5:28 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I think you didnt really read the whole thread. 70k is after tax a senior management (Director) level position (yes still in UK). This is after paying 40% tax. You do the maths for gross now.
is that all directors get paid? Thank **** I never stuck in at school. We pay our service engineers better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.