Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is Qatar the Next Dubai?

Is Qatar the Next Dubai?

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Qatar the Next Dubai?

Bumped up for Tootsie.

Tootsie, am I right in thinking you may be heading the M.E direction?
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:46 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

Well.......it IS very tempting .

NZ is ok but there must be more to life than this, after one has been here for a while it becomes very clear just how remote it is from so many things and how isolationist it is, sleepy backwater and all that.

DH is still very ambitious, and he'll want some new challenges to get his teeth into. It also depends very much on the right job coming up in a good part of the ME and getting a "stonking" amount of tax free for it . There are also some things about the NZ education system that I feel uneasy about - maths and literacy being just two examples......

So, I guess that's a "yes"
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tootsie
Well.......it IS very tempting

NZ is ok but there must be more to life than this, after one has been here for a while it becomes very clear just how remote it is from so many things and how isolationist it is, sleepy backwater and all that.

DH is still very ambitious, and he'll want some new challenges to get his teeth into. It also depends very much on the right job coming up in a good part of the ME and getting a "stonking" amount of tax free for it There are also some things about the NZ education system that I feel uneasy about - maths and literacy being just two examples......

So, I guess that's a "yes"
EXCELLENT news!!! Wow...we will be part of the famous Doha Damsels then if you land in Qatar?
Glad you made HEAPS on the land and house package though, suppose being up North helps tho, holds its value up there, flaming warmer thats why!!
Can you tell I am cold here today?
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:41 pm
Clear sighted member

It's taken two years to get to this stage but the land and build option turned out to be a prudent decision. You could've knocked me over with a feather when the valuation came back. Still some room for improvement on that too if we get the landscaping sorted out really well, tricky when it's so wet though and there's clay under the topsoil.

Doha damsels? lol!!! it's been a while since I've thought of myself as a damsel, I do like the term though. When I do my residency application can I enter it in the box marked " occupation" ?

I was going to do some research into the schools today, there seem to be a fair number of english schools doesn't there. I am so keen on the kids getting a "proper" education and "A" levels, rather than a NCEA. Tell you how bad it is - daughter is almost 13 and they still haven't taught her how to work out percentages properly. I was doing algebra at that age!! lol!! "in my day.............."
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:44 pm
Clear sighted member

It's freeking freezing there today too.

With the wind it's making it feel even colder. Poor rabbit, am going to have to bring her indoors before she shivers to death. Keep warm down there, good to know you can afford to put those heaters on at last
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's taken two years to get to this stage but the land and build option turned out to be a prudent decision. You could've knocked me over with a feather when the valuation came back. Still some room for improvement on that too if we get the landscaping sorted out really well, tricky when it's so wet though and there's clay under the topsoil.

Doha damsels? lol!!! it's been a while since I've thought of myself as a damsel, I do like the term though. When I do my residency application can I enter it in the box marked " occupation" ?

I was going to do some research into the schools today, there seem to be a fair number of english schools doesn't there. I am so keen on the kids getting a "proper" education and "A" levels, rather than a NCEA. Tell you how bad it is - daughter is almost 13 and they still haven't taught her how to work out percentages properly. I was doing algebra at that age!! lol!! "in my day.............."
TWO years? hell it doesn't seem that long! lol Where does time go?
Education here, well lets not go there. NCEA failed in Australia, NZ thought it could take it on board and make it work, teachers at my eldest school say "NO, it doesn't work"
My youngest is reading The Gingerbread Man (aged 11) and is still doing times tables! True.
Hubby has been ringing a few schools today in Doha, they all say to bring kids in to look around before he enrolls them, see if they like it. More like see if teachers like my kids I would have thought.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's freeking freezing there today too.

With the wind it's making it feel even colder. Poor rabbit, am going to have to bring her indoors before she shivers to death. Keep warm down there, good to know you can afford to put those heaters on at last
Yeh will be even hotter this weekend, am going to Pauanui staying with mates, beach house, be cold outside but hey, it has HEATING and all inclusive of price, so guess who will be as warm as toast this weekend?
Pity I have to come back Sunday and freeze again.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 12:05 am
Clear sighted member

Have a good time, Pauanui is lovely - you should enjoy it there. Yes, make the most of that free heat.

My oldest is reading "The Time Traveller's Wife" from the library but still isn't getting taught basic maths or grammar.