Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar - company paying rent

Qatar - company paying rent

Old Sep 21st 2016, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Qatar - company paying rent

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Remember you'll be dealing with very low level HR who won't deviate from any policy whatsoever.

Try and get in front of a Senior honcho and get your case across in a measured manner .

You'll find there's always politics at play and one upmanship coupled with the usual office demographics in this region .

Good Luck !
NO. WAY.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 1:04 pm
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

When i moved here, i was told "we will pay you hotel stay until you get a home" What actually happened is they did pay, and deducted it from my salary. Thanks guys!
Old Sep 21st 2016, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by iggle
When i moved here, i was told "we will pay you hotel stay until you get a home" What actually happened is they did pay, and deducted it from my salary. Thanks guys!
You didn't expect them to pay for the brass you charged to the room did you?
Old Sep 21st 2016, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
I've never paid for digs in 25 years , you need to up your game fella
Old Sep 21st 2016, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish wife
Thanks everyone

Sadly, we didn't get anything in writing...hindsight, for next time!

However, they verbally agreed to pay for our hotel for the first month. Then once he had a pay cheque (which included the HA), we were on our own. The reason we are so cross is now they say we have to actually pay for the hotel using his September wage/HA...which we have arranged to use for October rent. Hope that makes sense.

We are still negotiating with them now. All other staff at the company are moved into accommodation that is owned by the company from the beginning, but we are not as we have children and my husband is higher up the line and the company don't want him to live with the staff. (For whatever reason?) Hence we are finding our own.

Maybe I am very naive, but I am afraid I did expect the company to put us up for the first month 'for free' since he hasn't had a pay cheque from them yet. This is also how it works for all the other staff. If we went over the month of course we would pay it from his wage/HA. I am not expecting double HA at all. Just somewhere to live while we set up.

Oh well, who knows!! Thanks for everyone's feedback.
That is totally normal.

They used your Housing Allowance to pay for your hotel bills while you were in hotel. Why would they pay the hotel and also give you a housing allowance for a house you didn't have and didn't pay for?

You haven't lost out in any way. Your complaint is only that you need to pay housing costs for October a month in advance?
Old Oct 18th 2016, 3:27 am
Just Joined

bmitten is an unknown quantity at this point

First thing you should check: Does the contract state that you have to PAY BACK the first month housing should you not complete the contract (because you are let go or terminated)

Second thing: Some companies pull the scam that was pulled on you and some do not. And yes, it is a scam. They could have been upfront and clear that they DO NOT actually provide you first month housing, since YOU PAY for it. They didn't do that. They led you to believe they provided 1st month accomodations. It is unethical and you have every reason to be cross. But take as a sign of what else is in store from this company, and get out as soon as your contract is finished.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bmitten
First thing you should check: Does the contract state that you have to PAY BACK the first month housing should you not complete the contract (because you are let go or terminated)

Second thing: Some companies pull the scam that was pulled on you and some do not. And yes, it is a scam. They could have been upfront and clear that they DO NOT actually provide you first month housing, since YOU PAY for it. They didn't do that. They led you to believe they provided 1st month accomodations. It is unethical and you have every reason to be cross. But take as a sign of what else is in store from this company, and get out as soon as your contract is finished.
Really? I didn't get the OPs complaint at all. She appears to want a hotel and a housing allowance for September, even though she didn't have a house because she was in a hotel.

Looks like the complaint comes from a cash flow timing issue but I would have thought somebody apparently too senior to share temporary accommodation with other staff could pay one months rent in advance!
Old Oct 18th 2016, 5:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bmitten

Oh dear.

The kind of candidate that wants the hotel provided, the accommodation allowance on top, the laundry paid for, the room service paid for, a car and driver 7 days a week, no traffic on the roads and for the company to pay to ship 4 containers and 17 dogs.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 5:28 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Oh dear.

The kind of candidate that wants the hotel provided, the accommodation allowance on top, the laundry paid for, the room service paid for, a car and driver 7 days a week, no traffic on the roads and for the company to pay to ship 4 containers and 17 dogs.
I got the company to provide dogs of equivalent value, rather than shipping my own 17 dogs.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

When I first came to Dubai I was given accommodation paid for by the company (to last through the probation period) and the housing allowance was on top of that.

When I returned to Dubai I got a month's hotel apartment with the housing allowance separate from it.

If that was your experience with previous expat posting it's understandable if you think that's the norm, especially if the terminology on the contract doesn't seem to contradict it. From talking to old time expats it was pretty normal up through 2006 or 2007 for people to get all these benefits on top of the salary.

Oh dear.

Old Oct 18th 2016, 5:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I got the company to provide dogs of equivalent value, rather than shipping my own 17 dogs.
Very wise. Rented bitches.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
When I first came to Dubai I was given accommodation paid for by the company (to last through the probation period) and the housing allowance was on top of that.

When I returned to Dubai I got a month's hotel apartment with the housing allowance separate from it.

If that was your experience with previous expat posting it's understandable if you think that's the norm, especially if the terminology on the contract doesn't seem to contradict it. From talking to old time expats it was pretty normal up through 2006 or 2007 for people to get all these benefits on top of the salary.
Pre '08 people could demand almost what they wanted, got it and then continued to expect it forever, which I don't blame them for... I don't disagree with your logic that you wouldn't check as you hadn't had any different before.

I now laugh down the phone at people who demand everything provided. We're not in O&G, it's not a hardship location, we're not paying school fees (I agree with this, it's unfair). Get on with it. It's either enough money or it isn't. If it's not, don't worry, take another job, we'll find someone else. If it's borderline - a bird in the hand remember.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

Well you're all very luck, I got 3 days to sort myself out when I moved here in 2010!
Old Oct 18th 2016, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear.

I got most of that
Old Oct 18th 2016, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

First 14 nights gratis in a hotel then on your own.
However, monthly housing allowance can be advanced and they will write the cheque directly to the landlord/agent. Advance of pay is also available if required to see you through the first month or so.
New joiners are however being paid c5000/month for the same grade and also half the amount of flights.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I got 3 months free in the company villa as they dragged their heels sorting my visa out.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.