Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways - not all it seems?

Qatar Airways - not all it seems?

Old Feb 5th 2014, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar Airways - not all it seems?

The only thing better about QR is their economy seating in the 777s, 9 across rather than the 10 in EK and EY
Old Feb 5th 2014, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Please don't.

This is an important issue so please let's not trivialise it. Thanks

And my mentioning its similarity was not to trivialise it either, maybe add a little impression, which admittedly came from an outside source but one I would trust for such a comment.

It leaves me with something of a quandary. I would happily boycott them but to do so would really mean going elsewhere to work. I use them most months and they are the only airline that flies DOH-BKK with times that work. Coupled with the fact my tickets are paid by the company and they will only use QR, its in the contract!

From all I've heard, not a huge amount admittedly, they seem to be shedding western European staff for more compliant nationalities. Further, and without wishing to tar all with the same brush, it seems that many stories involving abusive, arrogant and obnoxious supervisors and managers point to them being of Indian origin. What gives.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Please don't.

This is an important issue so please let's not trivialise it. Thanks

sorry
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
. Further, and without wishing to tar all with the same brush, it seems that many stories involving abusive, arrogant and obnoxious supervisors and managers point to them being of Indian origin. What gives.
The guy mentioned as being responsible for monitoring all personnel is Sri Lanka
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
The guy mentioned as being responsible for monitoring all personnel is Sri Lanka
Indeed!
Old Feb 5th 2014, 11:22 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I try to avoid QR.
I boycott GulpAir after narrowly avoiding crashing three times (aborted landings) in Bahrain on the same flight (one of which had the wheels touching the runway with fire engines and ambulances chasing after us only for a massive engine surge and landing abort) and then having to fly to Saudi to refuel. I still shove as I write and it was 3 years ago.
Emirates economy is ok. emirates business is rubbish, and the bc staff are hopeless (chattering away in the galley at night, rude etc)
OmanAir is pretty good in comparison and great compared to what it used to be 5 years ago. Lots of direct flights from Muscat.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

I stick to Etihad. So far so good. Gulf have shown me the most abysmal customer service I've ever had from a national airline. Never fly them again.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Shocking article but I am not surprised about anything in Doha. I first visited Doha in 1992 and arrived at the very old airport - the customs still used chalk on bags then to show it had been checked and rifled through most people's suitcases, particularly females. The entry and exit procedures were terrible and you always expected some problem to appear that would stop you entering or leaving the Country. I remember feeling very happy every time I left Doha in those days and still do; the quote by a migrant worker to the deportee "Why are you sad? You're leaving Qatar!" is so true.... Unfortunately I am flying with Qatar Air next week but will now make every effort to avoid them in future. This article confirms that new technology is aiding modern day slavery. I hope the article gets more coverage and I will be sharing it with all my facebook friends who often use the airline. Qatar may have lots of new buildings etc and some good PR companies to enhance the image of anything Doha but the mentality hasn't changed one bit.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I believe everything in that article is true...and most likely even worse.
Am I boycotting QA ? Well, my first gut feeling says I should.
But then I would have to boycott every single thing here in Qatar.
And most likely in many other places.
Is that a valid excuse ? Probably not.
But I have made the choice to be here , I know what is going on. I can;t change it.
What I can do is to be as respectful, nice and helpful to people as possible.
At some point in time the whole shaky tower is going to collapse, that much is for sure.
I intend to watch from afar.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:26 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Thats what they want you to belive and a lot of people do as well . Its the same as the "Doha is just like Dubai was 15 years ago" routine . It sounds more than probable to an outsider but there's not one shred of truth to it .

Without doubt Qatar is one of the biggest white elephants in the modern world . It's whole PR game is based on illusion , perception and media promotion of it's sovereign wealth funded purchases driven on the back of 2022 . It also pushes itself on a world and political front which has given it more enemies than friends especially in the region .
This
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Flown with them once, to 'Nam and back. Quite good.

Much of a muchness any operator nowadays. Emirates are my choice because A: it's convenient and B: the entertainment system is ****ing brilliant. I don't enjoy flying and that selection of shit to watch and listen to is quality.

Will avoid them from now on.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

I believe it to be fairly accurate.

One of my technicians stayed in an apartment building that had QA female crew living in. He said that they had to swipe in and out of the accommodation and had to be in (even on days off ) early each night
Old Feb 6th 2014, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flood2
I believe it to be fairly accurate.

One of my technicians stayed in an apartment building that had QA female crew living in. He said that they had to swipe in and out of the accommodation and had to be in (even on days off ) early each night
I know some people who work for Gulf Arabs that have to log in and out of work using finger print technology so that they can't fiddle their hours etc. Swipe cards can be used by others to log you in and out. Maybe Qatar Air would be interested
Old Feb 6th 2014, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

How do we know that there are not more to the stories? There could be some other real reasons behind and that it's just easier to say thay they broke some company rules of cerfew for example.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
I believe everything in that article is true...and most likely even worse.
Am I boycotting QA ? Well, my first gut feeling says I should.
But then I would have to boycott every single thing here in Qatar.
And most likely in many other places.
Is that a valid excuse ? Probably not.
But I have made the choice to be here , I know what is going on. I can;t change it.
What I can do is to be as respectful, nice and helpful to people as possible.
At some point in time the whole shaky tower is going to collapse, that much is for sure.
I intend to watch from afar.

Frankly the entire region is rife with stories like this and you can't boycott everything. Yes I know that's a very selfish and uncaring stance, but still valid to a certain extent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.