Reload this Page >

QATAR - ADVISE PLEASE

QATAR - ADVISE PLEASE

Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Bailey13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default QATAR - ADVISE PLEASE

new starter to this forum.

looking for some advise: I am snr MEP PM looking for a new challenge with wife + 3 kids.

any indication on the going salaries in Doha - appreciate dependant on experience/company etc. range only to help.

what about schools - any recommedantions/contacts oldest in yr 3 + middle FS2.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QATAR - ADVISE PLEASE

get yourself the Explorer book and welcome
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:47 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

I personally would not come here for anything less than 60,000 QAR a month which is about £10,500 as this place whilst not a hardship posting is dull and boring and the weather for four months of the year is unbearable. You will need schooling in addition to your salary. The government pays employees about 25,000 QAR a year per child which just about covers the standard private schools with the more expensive costing up to 60,000 a month for the top end. The guys I know who have come out here with private companies (and no school fees added onto package) on about 50,000 QAR a month and who have a few kids have struggled with the cost of schools - three kids will cost you £20,000 a year. You will also need to get shipping costs etc covered and overall will still find yourself out of pocket with the move. I would hazard a guess that my start up costs out here were at least £10,000 - this covers paying for two of everything whilst I had a house in the UK and a place here (which I had to also pay a deposit on) whilst I worked through the probation period. The best advice I can give you is, if you are serious come out here yourself for at least three months and live like a monk till your through probation - then organise a family set up, rent out the house in the Uk and move everything and everyone over here. It will take at least six to seven weeks from when you shut the door on the container in the UK to opening it outside your place in Doha.

MEP covers a multitude of things so cannot really advise you on jobs, but for the top end positions you need either the best international experience and/or all the bells and whistles when it comes to qualifications. The previous poster hit the nail on the head - get the explorer book and read it and do come back if you have any questions. Those of us who are now out here have all been exactly where you are.

Good Luck
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bailey13
new starter to this forum.

looking for some advise: I am snr MEP PM looking for a new challenge with wife + 3 kids.

any indication on the going salaries in Doha - appreciate dependant on experience/company etc. range only to help.

what about schools - any recommedantions/contacts oldest in yr 3 + middle FS2.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
There's loads of variables in your questions mate , have you been offered a position or are you just punting for work ?

Have a browse through the forum and use the search function then fire back any specific questions you have and i'll be happy to help you.

General info for you would be

Salary for your position - anything from 22,000- 40,000 QAR - yes there can be a massive range all depending on a host of variables

Schools - Expensive and very difficult to get into , waiting list for the best ones as in Doha British School , Sherborne and so on .

Housing - Expensive as well i'm afraid and a standard choice .

Make sure all your benefits are covered in your package , you cannot do it otherwise .

Good luck
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:50 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

We are applying for my son to start in Sept 2012 and need to apply now to be sure of a place - these are the five British Schools we applied to:-

http://www.acs-schools.com/acs-doha.aspx

http://www.cisdoha.com/

http://www.dohabritishschool.com/

http://www.parkhouseschool.com/

http://www.dohacollege.com/
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Why the capital letters in the title and why use the order "Advise" rather than asking for "Advice"? Do your own research. There are umpteen threads on here about Qatar.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Why the capital letters in the title and why use the order "Advise" rather than asking for "Advice"? Do your own research. There are umpteen threads on here about Qatar.
Try and be nice eh , it's not that difficult , the guy is asking for a bit of help mate , no need to be rude fella.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:14 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Try and be nice eh , it's not that difficult , the guy is asking for a bit of help mate , no need to be rude fella.
Reminds me of Lionheart with that "welcome".
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Reminds me of Lionheart with that "welcome".
Yes mate i know , manners maketh the man ......