Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Pubs across the UK extend drinking hours...

Pubs across the UK extend drinking hours...

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:40 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Pubs across the UK (except Scotland) extend drinking hours...

In a move that has left critics pulling their hair out, thousands of pubs across the UK will begin operating for longer hours at 1 minute past midnight, tonight. In London alone 5000 pubs will stay open for longer which has promted fears of binge drinking, more violent crimes and more late night vandalism.

So how do you think this will affect the UK? Are the streets going to be safe after dark? Or do you think that this is a good move by the government?

Charles Clarke's beer belly obvioiusly shows that he is in complete favour of the move.... he must obviously be looking forward to staying out later. LOL

Last edited by Face81; Nov 23rd 2005 at 9:15 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:11 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pubs across the UK extend drinking hours...

Originally Posted by Face81
In a move that has left critics pulling their hair out, thousands of pubs across the UK will begin operating for longer hours at 1 minute past midnight, tonight. In London alone 5000 pubs will stay open for longer which has promted fears of binge drinking, more violent crimes and more late night vandalism.

So how do you think this will affect the UK? Are the streets going to be safe after dark? Or do you think that this is a good move by the government?

Charles Clarke's beer belly obvioiusly shows that he is in complete favour of the move.... he must obviously be looking forward to staying out later. LOL
I expect it will cause problems initially, but will hopefully put an end to people quaffing as many pints/spirits as they can before 11:00 (or 11:20 if you include drinking up time) then rolling out into streets to vomit, fight, pass out, etc...
Critics have said that this will still happen - hopefully the new hours will stagger the trouble, make it easier to avoid

Personally I look forward to the change - especially on weekends, we used to have to go to a nightclub to stay out later (or one of the very few bars with late license) - would much prefer staying out later in a bar of my choice.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:18 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I expect it will cause problems initially, but will hopefully put an end to people quaffing as many pints/spirits as they can before 11:00 (or 11:20 if you include drinking up time) then rolling out into streets to vomit, fight, pass out, etc...
Critics have said that this will still happen - hopefully the new hours will stagger the trouble, make it easier to avoid

Personally I look forward to the change - especially on weekends, we used to have to go to a nightclub to stay out later (or one of the very few bars with late license) - would much prefer staying out later in a bar of my choice.
well i suppose I it makes sense and I only hope that the extended hours have the desired affect in the long term atleast.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:41 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Scotland has had late night drinking for years, so less of the whole of the UK thing.

pubs there can be open to two or three in the morning and open at 6am :scared:
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:50 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Scotland has had late night drinking for years, so less of the whole of the UK thing.

Hmmm... true to a point.... used to be mostly Edinburgh that enjoyed that mostly and out in the sticks...

Was a lot better to have the freedom of choosing to go out later at 10pm and have a few come home at 1am or 2am rather than going straight from work etc....

It'll all work well - should have been done years ago. The open hours were put in place during WW 1 were they not?
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:01 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by shiva

and what affect has it had on violent, alcohol related crime? :scared:
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:28 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
and what affect has it had on violent, alcohol related crime? :scared:
I don't know what you're trying to imply, Face... the fact that Scotland is officially the most violent place in the developed world has nothing to do with its extended drinking hours
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:56 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
... the fact that Scotland is officially the most violent place in the developed world has nothing to do with its extended drinking hours
You've not been to Newcastle Bigg Market on a Saturday night? :scared:
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 10:55 am