British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   The property apocalypse draws closer... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/property-apocalypse-draws-closer-445264/)

Blue Cat May 24th 2007 7:23 pm

Re: The property apocalypse draws closer...

Originally Posted by GarethR (Post 4829000)
It's what I genuinely think. If you have that much money, why the hell do you want *our* opinions? We're all just middle-class scum :rofl:

speak for yourself Gareth!!!! :rofl:

rushey May 24th 2007 8:14 pm

Ah I see Gareth, does your pending apocalypse not effect the well off ? :D

N.

shiva May 24th 2007 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by rushey (Post 4828862)
Of course I cannot vouch for the the number of units that have been sold off plan, you have to put some trust in the developers

( really really bad idea)

and belief in the project you are placing your hard earned in.

I am sure with all the construction taking place there are going to be horror stories from people who feel hard done by and I am under no false illusion that the whole build will be deliverd on time and to the quality of the pictures in the brochures ! There will be snag lists on completion that the contractor will have to sort or he won get paid,

(you'd think so but do some reaserch on the list of snags on almost every build here and the owners fights to get them sorted, oh and if you dont pay its you NOT the developer who gets screwed by the law)

pretty much the same as any new build. In relation to the build becoming "delayed by 2 years" it would depend on the contract the person signed, if its a time based contract then his down payments would have to be paid regardless. I would only ever buy off plan on a construction based downpayment scheme whereby you pay the chunks as and when the building is 10/50/100 floors completed. Therefore if it was 2 years late getting out of the ground you would only have paid your original holding deposit.

( and what about the finished buildings people are paying for that havent been released, by contact people are paying for them but they cant live in them or rent them out JBR springs to mind......again)

Take the Damac Ocean Heights build for example, we looked at investing in that tower in Feb 2005. I cant remember when they said completion would be then, but the building isnt even out of the ground yet - still looks lke a car park !! However this hasnt stopped the capital appreciation of the appts. We looked at a penthouse in the build which was for sale for around 8m, this same unit was for sale for 17m when we were over last month.

( what capital appreciation, an imaginary profit on an imaginary property, with the numbers coming from the developer, yup makes sound financial sense that one)

I know you will say "but does it sell for that" I can only comment that I saw noone who was prepared to discount anything. So yes the build is in a terrible state in terms of completion deadlines and is prob attracting its fair share of critism, but it does not seem to have effected the appt values.

( according to the people who are building it and cleary in need of more cash to actually build it because they spent all their money on marketing and not building materials)

The Damac tower works out at around 4500 psqft, the Trident appts I am interetsed in have been launched from 1400 psqft. I still stand by my belief that this looks a good investment over the 4 (alright I will concede it will prob be 5 :D) year build.

R.

Is this what your looking at?
http://www.signaturepropertiesworldw...gue.asp?pid=45

if so, couple of quick ones for you and in no order.

this is the third(maybe more, who keeps count anymore) "highest" in the world project here, how many will the market support?

building anything over 300 odd metres starts to get VERY complicated and expensive, given that , why is the price so low especially when each floor is one appartment, given the cost of construction something smells fishy here.
(Google it, but the construction cost should be well over $1 Billion US)

The value of the appartments on the lower floors will be crap, the plot this is being built on is surrounded by other "super towers" so anything below the 80th odd floor will have very limited views.

If this is such a flagship, luxury blah blah project then why are the prices lower than other projects by the same developer?

if it looks too good to be true then......

rushey May 24th 2007 9:25 pm

Yes thats the one, thanks for your thoughts

1) The Chicago Spire will be the tallest resi building in the world. I am not expecting this one to be, its just going to be very tall !
2) Build costs - will have to take your word for it, thats Tridents problem ! The one appt per floor is misleading. Its actually two per floor but they have claimed that because the building has been split in half with separate entrances that they are two towers - sales patter at its best IMO :D
3) The view was my main concern as you can never predict what towers will sping up from nowhere. As I undertsand it anything 40 floors and above will be fine. The appt I am looking at will be palm facing and will view out over Al Seef. Yes Ocean heights at 80 odd floors will obstruct but other than that it "should" be OK.
4) I dont think its priced at less than there other developments, more like the same as MarinaScape which seems to have been a huge sucess. It seems to be priced competitively to make them sell. After all there are 130 plus appts some as much as $10m to shift !

R.

shiva May 24th 2007 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by rushey (Post 4829413)
Yes thats the one, thanks for your thoughts

1) The Chicago Spire will be the tallest resi building in the world. I am not expecting this one to be, its just going to be very tall !
2) Build costs - will have to take your word for it, thats Tridents problem The one appt per floor is misleading. Its actually two per floor but they have claimed that because the building has been split in half with separate entrances that they are two towers - sales patter at its best IMO :D
3) The view was my main concern as you can never predict what towers will sping up from nowhere. As I undertsand it anything 40 floors and above will be fine. The appt I am looking at will be palm facing and will view out over Al Seef. Yes Ocean heights at 80 odd floors will obstruct but other than that it "should" be OK.
4) I dont think its priced at less than there other developments, more like the same as MarinaScape which seems to have been a huge sucess. It seems to be priced competitively to make them sell. After all there are 130 plus appts some as much as $10m to shift !

R.

more info here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=410579

the height of 516m is taller than Tapei 101 currently the worlds tallest building, this is no small undertaking so i would expect a very long construction delay with this one. as for cost being the developers problem, well technically yes, in practice if they dont sell enough appts then they may not have the money to build it or complete it, leaving a lot of people screwed.

The market here is based on illusion and deception, with a project of this magnitude i would walk away or proceed with extreme caution.

one other thing, you are aware that this is being built about 500m from an active geological fault line? to earthquake proof Tapei 101 took some VERY fancy engineering and i dont see anything about this design being earthquake proof let alone having taken quakes into consideration. the taller you get the more suseptible to tremors and quakes a building gets so even a small one will start to cause major problems. The building my wife works in actually staterd to shows cracks after our last ( very minor) earthquake and its only 20 stories!

rushey May 24th 2007 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 4829472)
The market here is based on illusion and deception, with a project of this magnitude i would walk away or proceed with extreme caution.

The skyscraper forum is just full of people who Dubai bash all the time so I cannot be bothered to post in there. Why is your belief that a project of this size cannot be acheived ? Trident are a proven developer in dubai and I think they shoudl be commended for pushing the boundaries.

I didnt know about the earthquake line but does that not apply to all the buildings in the marina ? I know nothing about contructing a building of this type but I am guessing Trident have researched to the extreme. Yes I am sure the build will overun, but the stage payments are based on construction progress not time as per the Damac building.

R.

shiva May 24th 2007 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by rushey (Post 4829522)
The skyscraper forum is just full of people who Dubai bash all the time so I cannot be bothered to post in there. Why is your belief that a project of this size cannot be acheived ? Trident are a proven developer in dubai and I think they shoudl be commended for pushing the boundaries.

I'm not saying it cant be done, just that there is currently 1 building in the world that height and that it is a major build. look at the problems the Burj Dubai is experiencing

I didnt know about the earthquake line but does that not apply to all the buildings in the marina ? I know nothing about contructing a building of this type but I am guessing Trident have researched to the extreme. Yes I am sure the build will overun, but the stage payments are based on construction progress not time as per the Damac building.yes it does and not just to the marina area but the whole of dubai.

R.

assuming companies here either give a damn or have done some research is a dangerous business, most have not and will not!

how does the cost of these properties compare to the Burj appts. ?

Eeyore May 25th 2007 2:05 am

Originally Posted by rushey (Post 4829213)
Ah I see Gareth, does your pending apocalypse not effect the well off?

The well-off are *never* affected by this sort of thing as badly as middle-income earners. Surely you were aware of that?

Like I said, if you've got the money to be seriously considering an AED 17m penthouse (and do you actually have that sort of money? Or do you just want us to *think* that you do?), then what are you doing asking advice from the likes of us?

I didnt know about the earthquake line but does that not apply to all the buildings in the marina ?
Absolutely. We're told that "all towers in Dubai are earthquake-proof", but the problem is that we just have to accept that at face value, because the developers never allow anyone in to examine construction methods.

I very seriously doubt that the quake-proofing here is anything like as sophisticated as that employed in California or Japan.

I know nothing about contructing a building of this type but I am guessing Trident have researched to the extreme
Don't guess. Find out. Ask to see full technical details of the quake-proofing. I'll be very surprised indeed if they let you have that information (which would, quite rightly, be publicly available in every other country where earthquakes are a concern).

Blue Cat May 25th 2007 3:55 am

I didnt know about the earthquake line but does that not apply to all the buildings in the marina ? I know nothing about contructing a building of this type but I am guessing Trident have researched to the extreme. Yes I am sure the build will overun, but the stage payments are based on construction progress not time as per the Damac building.

R.

the earthquake thing doesn't bother me, I would be more worried about a fire, this country doesn't seem to be able to hand them too well! added onto that the fact they it is rare that anyone living any higher than the 6th floor will get out alive. Sorry - had to say it. :(

IndieG May 25th 2007 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4830972)
the earthquake thing doesn't bother me, I would be more worried about a fire, this country doesn't seem to be able to hand them too well! added onto that the fact they it is rare that anyone living any higher than the 6th floor will get out alive. Sorry - had to say it. :(

Same here BC, it is the fire hazard that really scares me - especially after reading that sad incident involving the lady who threw both toddlers from the 5th(?) floor to escape a fire in her apartment. Only one survived.

W10 May 25th 2007 6:11 am

Quite - the response of the elite tower fire fighting units to the recent average fires in unfinished buildings do not fill me with confidence.

If there was a big fire in an inhabited tower at night I think the death toll would be pretty scary.

Blue Cat May 25th 2007 7:21 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4831539)
Quite - the response of the elite tower fire fighting units to the recent average fires in unfinished buildings do not fill me with confidence.

If there was a big fire in an inhabited tower at night I think the death toll would be pretty scary.

it is an accident waiting to happen in my humble opinion. Let's hope it doesn't for everyones sakes. :thumbdown:

expat.brat May 25th 2007 10:18 am

R.

I am quite optimistic about DXB real estate but even I am a bit sceptical of this project. I'll believe it when I see it. And as for it being earthquake proof: as they say in the Middle East, in'shallah........

Blue Cat May 25th 2007 6:20 pm

sorry, slight thread hijack. Does anyone have a web link for the development that they advertise on 103.8 all the time - the one with 'the arabian horse arose and al Khahil???' Development I am sure is called Al Khahil - with horses etc? anyone got a clue what I am talking about??

IndieG May 25th 2007 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4833208)
sorry, slight thread hijack. Does anyone have a web link for the development that they advertise on 103.8 all the time - the one with 'the arabian horse arose and al Khahil???' Development I am sure is called Al Khahil - with horses etc? anyone got a clue what I am talking about??

is is meydan....?