Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Primary school in Dubai

Primary school in Dubai

Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

RoadRunner is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Primary school in Dubai

I am moving to Dubai in September with my family and need to decide on a primary school for my daughter. We presently live in Canada but we are British. Any input or recommendations on school from every one experiences would be greatly appreciated
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary school in Dubai

Schooling is such a personal thing, you really do have wait to you get here and check the schools out for yourself to get a feel for them. If you're brave you could go the expatwoman.com and check out the six zillion school threads on there and try and read between the crazed Dubai Witch syndrome that happens and you may be able to get some helpful information.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Schooling is such a personal thing, you really do have wait to you get here and check the schools out for yourself to get a feel for them. If you're brave you could go the expatwoman.com and check out the six zillion school threads on there and try and read between the crazed Dubai Witch syndrome that happens and you may be able to get some helpful information.
kim, no one is that brave, lol...

roadrunner, where will you be living, that's the most important thing when considering a school...

MM, xx
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

How much do you care about your child's education?

Let me be blunt: schooling can be divided into two groups:

Those who who are aiming to send their children to Oxbridge, Bristol, UCL, Durham and the rest of the Russell group of universities.

Those who are perfectly happy with a bog standard university.

If the former, the best primary schools in DXB are Jess, Dess, Jebel Ali Primary, King's and Repton. Jess will be impossible to gain a place at the last minute, but DESS and Jebel Ali may have a place. Repton will take anyone above average and who can pay the fees.

If the latter, there's a whole league of schools to select from. May I suggest Regent's?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83

Those who who are aiming to send their children to Oxbridge, Bristol, UCL, Durham and the rest of the Russell group of universities.

If the former, the best primary schools in DXB are Jess, Dess, Jebel Ali Primary, King's and Repton. Jess will be impossible to gain a place at the last minute, but DESS and Jebel Ali may have a place. Repton will take anyone above average and who can pay the fees.

If the latter, there's a whole league of schools to select from. May I suggest Regent's?
jess isn't impossible now...depends which year...

MM, xx
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
kim, no one is that brave, lol...

roadrunner, where will you be living, that's the most important thing when considering a school...

MM, xx
Probably won't see you at school in September (that's if you're still there) as I think we'll head off home in the next month or so. My kids will all do a term of the year they've just finished here when they get home, so I'll let you know if Dubai schooling has left them too far behind the eight ball to ever catch up.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Probably won't see you at school in September (that's if you're still there) as I think we'll head off home in the next month or so. My kids will all do a term of the year they've just finished here when they get home, so I'll let you know if Dubai schooling has left them too far behind the eight ball to ever catch up.
oh wow, didn't realise you were off, back home then...? mine are moving schools though...what have i done, lol...

MM, xx
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
oh wow, didn't realise you were off, back home then...? mine are moving schools though...what have i done, lol...

MM, xx
I thought you were moving them. Good luck. At least you won't have to put up with Mrs Control Freak any more. She locked the gates and wouldn't let anyone in on the last day and I had to scale the front fence and break my eldest child out like an episode of Prison Break - old cow.

Yes, back home to our own place. The plan was only to ever stay two years and that time is up. It was a nice experience for the kids but we're all looking forward to being under blue skies with great weather and school, ballet, singing studio, sporting fields all within a couple of km's of home. Hopefully the boy child's coughing will improve once he's back and we can get him off the asthma medication.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

In fairness, they are looking for a primary school - Oxbridge entry probably isn't that high up on the list just yet... any why on earth have you put Bristol and Durham on the good list?!

I believe that DBS still has places and looked ok to me.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:00 am
Account Closed

I was offered places at the two so therefore they must be excellent universities. Where did you go?

The pretentious middle classes are obsessed with their children's education because its a useful status symbol without the naffiness of, say, driving a Mercedes. Life has shown that certain groups of the pretentious middle classes are never satisfied with anything but the 'best' schools of the area, and they use the excuse of being keen on ensuring that the loved ones receive a top notch education to aid in the acceptance at certain universities years down the road. If you fall in this group, then in Dubai there's only four or five acceptable schools.

If you don't - then there are plenty of average schools that suits the bill for a few years.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
In fairness, they are looking for a primary school - Oxbridge entry probably isn't that high up on the list just yet... any why on earth have you put Bristol and Durham on the good list?!

I believe that DBS still has places and looked ok to me.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought you were moving them. Good luck. At least you won't have to put up with Mrs Control Freak any more. She locked the gates and wouldn't let anyone in on the last day and I had to scale the front fence and break my eldest child out like an episode of Prison Break - old cow.

Yes, back home to our own place. The plan was only to ever stay two years and that time is up. It was a nice experience for the kids but we're all looking forward to being under blue skies with great weather and school, ballet, singing studio, sporting fields all within a couple of km's of home. Hopefully the boy child's coughing will improve once he's back and we can get him off the asthma medication.
oh she drove me nuts...

hope it all goes well...enjoy...!
MM, xx
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was offered places at the two so therefore they must be excellent universities. Where did you go?

The pretentious middle classes are obsessed with their children's education because its a useful status symbol without the naffiness of, say, driving a Mercedes. Life has shown that certain groups of the pretentious middle classes are never satisfied with anything but the 'best' schools of the area, and they use the excuse of being keen on ensuring that the loved ones receive a top notch education to aid in the acceptance at certain universities years down the road. If you fall in this group, then in Dubai there's only four or five acceptable schools.

If you don't - then there are plenty of average schools that suits the bill for a few years.
Surely being offered a place at a university doesn't necessary make it a good one?

I attended a piss poor primary school, an average secondary school and stayed on for the sixth form (I couldn't be bothered to change) and finally went to one of your 'good list' (which I thought was shite).
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:26 am
Account Closed

It's all about mindset, dude.

I've always gone to highly regarded schools and universities, generally considered among the best in either the US or the UK, and what difference has it made down the road?

Not much.

I was snotty about it at one time but these days I'm realistic and get amusement out of watching the pretentious middle classes obsess over and generally be uptight over a very expensive and yet largely irrelevant field - their children's education.

To make it worse I'll be suckered down the same road when the time come.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Surely being offered a place at a university doesn't necessary make it a good one?

I attended a piss poor primary school, an average secondary school and stayed on for the sixth form (I couldn't be bothered to change) and finally went to one of your 'good list' (which I thought was shite).
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's all about mindset, dude.

I've always gone to highly regarded schools and universities, generally considered among the best in either the US or the UK, and what difference has it made down the road?

Not much.

I was snotty about it at one time but these days I'm realistic and get amusement out of watching the pretentious middle classes obsess over and generally be uptight over a very expensive and yet largely irrelevant field - their children's education.

To make it worse I'll be suckered down the same road when the time come.
I think we totally agree with each other! I went to what is often viewed as the best university in the country. It made bugger all difference - and looking at the people I went to university with, with the exception of a couple (who would have made it anyway), it made bugger all difference for them too.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:04 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Aye....

But Regents????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.