Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The Pretentious Music Thread

The Pretentious Music Thread

Old May 19th 2007, 7:58 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Pretentious Music Thread

After my little outburst on the MOR thread, here are some tracks that are currently on the music snob stereo...

The Grates - 19 20 20

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps

Arctic Monkeys - Brain Storm

Mark Ronson - Stop Me

Jamie T - Shiela

and a classic track from the 80's that kicked off dance music M/A/R/R/S - Pump Up The Volume

Hope you like them...

Auto.
Old May 19th 2007, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Pretentious Music Thread

Auto, cmon, where is Jamie T Calm Down Dearest...that has to be a classic...

Err...and I don't see any Mozza on your list either
MM, xx
Old May 20th 2007, 12:02 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
After my little outburst on the MOR thread, here are some tracks that are currently on the music snob stereo...

The Grates - 19 20 20

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps

Arctic Monkeys - Brain Storm

Mark Ronson - Stop Me

Jamie T - Shiela

and a classic track from the 80's that kicked off dance music M/A/R/R/S - Pump Up The Volume

Hope you like them...

Auto.
Auto, you clearly have been sniffing glue.
I used to respect you until you came out with the "pump up the volume " nonsense.

Either you are being nostagiac or you have taken leave of your senses :P
Old May 20th 2007, 3:41 am
W10

Going through an older music phase right now. My playlist.

Belle and Sebastian: Stars of Track and Field and Dylan in the Movies
Kinky Machine: Gooseberry fool
Silver Sun: Lava
Beastie Boys: Paul Revoir
Blak Twang: Kik it
Kyoto Jazz Massive: Mind Expansion
Boards of Canada: Geodaddi (the whole album...I need to chill!)

Old May 20th 2007, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Auto, you clearly have been sniffing glue.
I used to respect you until you came out with the "pump up the volume " nonsense.

Either you are being nostagiac or you have taken leave of your senses :P

disagree,

Pump up the volume was an anthem in Auchtermuchty in the early 90's
Old May 20th 2007, 3:46 am
W10

It still is, after so long, still a superb example of sampling.

Old May 20th 2007, 7:16 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

If we are talking about 80-'s era music, IMHO Prince was at his best.
He lost the plot with his last 5 albums, but the guy did some great stuff.
Old May 20th 2007, 7:19 am
W10

Can't disagree with that.

In the 80s, Prince = sex

Old May 20th 2007, 7:54 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

If we are talking about 80-'s era music, IMHO Prince was at his best.
He lost the plot with his last 5 albums, but the guy did some great stuff.
I really never liked symbolman too much...

However - you'd best get back to the UK asap if you did like the pocketsized popstar poppet 25 bands you must see this summer (The Observer)
Old May 20th 2007, 8:08 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fed up as the song stuck in my head today is Billy Don't be a Hero...

Old May 20th 2007, 8:38 am
Up in the air

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I really never liked symbolman too much...

However - you'd best get back to the UK asap if you did like the pocketsized popstar poppet 25 bands you must see this summer (The Observer)
I heard that he is not going to do any of his classic stuff and is only doing his new material..so ill pass.

He got his head stuck up his arse and started releasing utter garbage as he thought with his level of success he could get away with it.

A bit like what Robbie Williams is doing now..
Old May 20th 2007, 8:44 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

I heard that he is not going to do any of his classic stuff and is only doing his new material..so ill pass.

He got his head stuck up his arse and started releasing utter garbage as he thought with his level of success he could get away with it.

Leave my Robbie alone
Old May 20th 2007, 8:47 am
Up in the air

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
Leave my Robbie alone
The guy is a nobber and is stuck up his own bottom.
His decent stage craft makes up for the fact he doesnt really have a great voice.

Could have been a reasonable artist, but has lost the plot
Old May 20th 2007, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

The guy is a nobber and is stuck up his own bottom.
His decent stage craft makes up for the fact he doesnt really have a great voice.

Could have been a reasonable artist, but has lost the plot
And they call "Rudebox" a hit!!!!
Old May 20th 2007, 8:55 am
W10

It was more the fact that he got locked into a long term contract (his own fault I guess) with WB and had to release a certain number of albums to get out of it.

He tried to battle in court, remember him having 'slave' written across his cheek.

but he released utter tat on purpose (although some of it was pretentious arse)

Musicology was a very good album.