British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Potential move to Bahrain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/potential-move-bahrain-488777/)

MataHari Oct 22nd 2007 12:18 pm

Re: Potential move to Bahrain

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 5453306)
I'm obviously hanging around with the wrong women then :confused:

oh boy...

MataHari Oct 22nd 2007 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5453327)
These "friends" seem to know a lot, is it all inside information?!!

if you use the "quote" we know who you're talking to...

expat.brat Oct 22nd 2007 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 5453306)
I'm obviously hanging around with the wrong women then :confused:

If you want cheap females then there are places you can go..of course they may not be human females, but as they say, beggars can't be choosers...

JohnG Oct 22nd 2007 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 5454067)
If you want cheap females then there are places you can go..of course they may not be human females, but as they say, beggars can't be choosers...

Beggars.???? Cheers, that's really nice ain't it.!!! :unsure::unsure:

Rog_Rams Oct 23rd 2007 6:52 am

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5452774)
Hi All,

I've started discussions with a company on a potential move to Bahrain. I've had a look through the forum and it seems that some info is a little bit old, so was hoping if someone could help me out.

I wanted to know where the current property rental market is. I know over the past couple of years prices have increased, but how much would I be able to rent a 2 bedroom apartment for? The office is located in the Diplomatic area, so I wouldn't want it to be too far away, and a well furnished seaview apartment would be nice. How much would I be able to lease a car for? Probably looking at a BMW X5 or a Mercedes CLK.

Being 27 and single, I do enjoy my clubbing, but how do clubs in Bahrain compare with London? How good are the golf courses there? I hear membership is expensive? And is there still a waiting list for the Ritz-Carlton club membership?

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

T

The quote you had earlier for an apt would be about right. Cars are MUCH cheaper here than in the UK. Buying, leasing etc is all easy. If and when you get here can direct you to a place to lease whatever you fancy at a cheaper rate than the international companies. X5 would be 350 / 400 per month depending on whether you wanted brand new or lightly used.
Yes, there is a waiting list at the Ritz Carlton - in fact, there is a waiting list to get on the waiting list!
The grass golf course is currently being remodelled to a Colin Montgomerie design, so is not in tip top shape at the moment. The sand course is not much fun IMHO.
As for being 27 and clubbing, Jeez, I'll try and cast my mind back.......

OK, the clubs here are OK - not so much London, more like a night out in Staines, Walsall or Sunderland I'd say (with accompanying multi-national ambience of course). It's OK though, and quite fun and quaint in its own right.

t19hlr Oct 23rd 2007 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5456182)
The quote you had earlier for an apt would be about right. Cars are MUCH cheaper here than in the UK. Buying, leasing etc is all easy. If and when you get here can direct you to a place to lease whatever you fancy at a cheaper rate than the international companies. X5 would be 350 / 400 per month depending on whether you wanted brand new or lightly used.
Yes, there is a waiting list at the Ritz Carlton - in fact, there is a waiting list to get on the waiting list!
The grass golf course is currently being remodelled to a Colin Montgomerie design, so is not in tip top shape at the moment. The sand course is not much fun IMHO.

OK, the clubs here are OK - not so much London, more like a night out in Staines, Walsall or Sunderland I'd say (with accompanying multi-national ambience of course). It's OK though, and quite fun and quaint in its own right.

Thanks for the info Rog_Rams, much appreciated. I'll have to squeeze out as much money from the company as I can to make up for the lack of clubbing I'll get out there!! I could always ask for an allowance to go on a monthly clubbing trip to Dubai....what are the chances they'll agree?!!! :D

Rog_Rams Oct 23rd 2007 7:36 am

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5456238)
Thanks for the info Rog_Rams, much appreciated. I'll have to squeeze out as much money from the company as I can to make up for the lack of clubbing I'll get out there!! I could always ask for an allowance to go on a monthly clubbing trip to Dubai....what are the chances they'll agree?!!! :D

Yeah, that would answer that requirement pretty well for you. There are a couple of lively places over in Dubai.

The Dubai ladies on this board would no doubt take good care of you - one way or another!!

BTW - have you seen this site? Gives you a bit of an overview of the better venues in Bahrain.

http://www.nightlifeinbahrain.com/nightlife/site2.html

MataHari Oct 23rd 2007 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5456281)
Yeah, that would answer that requirement pretty well for you. There are a couple of lively places over in Dubai.

The Dubai ladies on this board would no doubt take good care of you - one way or another!!

BTW - have you seen this site? Gives you a bit of an overview of the better venues in Bahrain.

we're the city that cares...

Blue Cat Oct 23rd 2007 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5456182)

Sunderland!! jesus that is an insult to Bahrain :eek:

Rog_Rams Oct 23rd 2007 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5456707)
Sunderland!! jesus that is an insult to Bahrain :eek:

Don't want the lad building his hopes up too high now do we!

After that description I was aiming for the reality coming as a moderately pleasant surprise!

Blue Cat Oct 23rd 2007 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5456755)
Don't want the lad building his hopes up too high now do we!

After that description I was aiming for the reality coming as a moderately pleasant surprise!

ok I see your point :thumbsup:

JohnG Oct 23rd 2007 11:48 am

These are the lot we lease all our vehicles from mate......

http://www.ekkanoo.com.bh/?q=kanoo_vehicles_leasing

Give them a shout, they do everything from little runarounds to tope exec motors.!!!

expat.brat Oct 23rd 2007 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 5454101)
Beggars.???? Cheers, that's really nice ain't it.!!! :unsure::unsure:

welcome to the brash middle east...

camel jockey Oct 23rd 2007 7:03 pm

Definately go for Juffair if you're single.. Check out apartments for a bit if you can to get the best deal, Juffair is stuffed with decent apartments now.

About the hookers, as anyone can tell you that has lived in the ME for a while, they are everywhere but if you go to decent bars they are few and far between. No comparision to London clubs though sorry mate, your fresh out of luck there! There are some nice bars that have been opening recently but the choice is rather scarce.

If you are going to be here for a while I would probably recommend buying as opposed to leasing because you will basically be paying less to buy..

Good luck xo

t19hlr Oct 24th 2007 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5456281)

Thanks for the site.