British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Potential move to Bahrain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/potential-move-bahrain-488777/)

t19hlr Oct 22nd 2007 9:26 am

Potential move to Bahrain

Hi All,

I've started discussions with a company on a potential move to Bahrain. I've had a look through the forum and it seems that some info is a little bit old, so was hoping if someone could help me out.

I wanted to know where the current property rental market is. I know over the past couple of years prices have increased, but how much would I be able to rent a 2 bedroom apartment for? The office is located in the Diplomatic area, so I wouldn't want it to be too far away, and a well furnished seaview apartment would be nice. How much would I be able to lease a car for? Probably looking at a BMW X5 or a Mercedes CLK.

Being 27 and single, I do enjoy my clubbing, but how do clubs in Bahrain compare with London? How good are the golf courses there? I hear membership is expensive? And is there still a waiting list for the Ritz-Carlton club membership?

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

T

JohnG Oct 22nd 2007 10:45 am

Re: Potential move to Bahrain

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5452774)
Hi All,

I've started discussions with a company on a potential move to Bahrain. I've had a look through the forum and it seems that some info is a little bit old, so was hoping if someone could help me out.

I wanted to know where the current property rental market is. I know over the past couple of years prices have increased, but how much would I be able to rent a 2 bedroom apartment for? The office is located in the Diplomatic area, so I wouldn't want it to be too far away, and a well furnished seaview apartment would be nice. How much would I be able to lease a car for? Probably looking at a BMW X5 or a Mercedes CLK.

Being 27 and single, I do enjoy my clubbing, but how do clubs in Bahrain compare with London? How good are the golf courses there? I hear membership is expensive? And is there still a waiting list for the Ritz-Carlton club membership?

T

Hi..... I've been out here for about three months now, my 2 bed appartment is fully furnished in Juffair (about 10 mins drive from Diplomatic area) and it costs 650Bhd per month, pool, gym, internet etc. Juffair is busy with loads of nightlife. Hope that helps a bit mate... John

Eeyore Oct 22nd 2007 10:47 am

I'm sure others will comment, but everything I've heard about Bahrain says that it's fine for families and others who want a quiet life, but it's crap for singles who want a bit of nightlife. But maybe I was talking to particularly demanding singles :)

lionheart Oct 22nd 2007 10:48 am

Originally Posted by GarethR (Post 5452977)
I'm sure others will comment, but everything I've heard about Bahrain says that it's fine for families and others who want a quiet life, but it's crap for singles who want a bit of nightlife. But maybe I was talking to particularly demanding singles :)

Most of the nightclubs in Bahrain are packed solid with Russian/Chinese hookers...so my friends tell me.

JohnG Oct 22nd 2007 10:51 am

Originally Posted by GarethR (Post 5452977)

It's ok mate, there's plenty to do and compared to the rest of the Middle East it's very very liberal.!!! The clubs and bars ain't too bad but theres nothing out here like London...... more like what you'd find in a decent sized town. Some half decent clubs but London it ain't.!!!!!

JohnG Oct 22nd 2007 10:52 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5452981)
Most of the nightclubs in Bahrain are packed solid with Russian/Chinese hookers...so my friends tell me.

Plenty of them and Thai hookers too............... so my friends tell me as well.!!! :o:o:o

MataHari Oct 22nd 2007 10:58 am

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 5452990)
Plenty of them and Thai hookers too............... so my friends tell me as well.!!! :o:o:o

where would we be without friends...

JohnG Oct 22nd 2007 11:00 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5453008)
where would we be without friends...

Haha.... not hanging around in those sorts of bars.!!!

t19hlr Oct 22nd 2007 11:15 am

Thanks for the warning about the hookers guys.
John I would guess a budget of BD650-700 should be expected then, thanks.

JohnG Oct 22nd 2007 11:18 am

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5453050)

Yeah but that is fully furnished with everything mate, I'll see what I can find out about a lease car as well :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Inselaffen Oct 22nd 2007 11:18 am

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5453050)

is that your hooker budget :confused:

expat.brat Oct 22nd 2007 11:31 am

Happiness comes at a high price these days...

MataHari Oct 22nd 2007 11:58 am

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 5453115)
Happiness comes at a high price these days...

my friends always tell me women are cheap...

JohnG Oct 22nd 2007 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5453198)
my friends always tell me women are cheap...

I'm obviously hanging around with the wrong women then :confused:

t19hlr Oct 22nd 2007 12:17 pm

These "friends" seem to know a lot, is it all inside information?!!

MataHari Oct 22nd 2007 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 5453306)

oh boy...

MataHari Oct 22nd 2007 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5453327)
These "friends" seem to know a lot, is it all inside information?!!

if you use the "quote" we know who you're talking to...

expat.brat Oct 22nd 2007 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 5453306)

If you want cheap females then there are places you can go..of course they may not be human females, but as they say, beggars can't be choosers...

JohnG Oct 22nd 2007 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 5454067)
If you want cheap females then there are places you can go..of course they may not be human females, but as they say, beggars can't be choosers...

Beggars.???? Cheers, that's really nice ain't it.!!! :unsure::unsure:

Rog_Rams Oct 23rd 2007 6:52 am

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5452774)
Hi All,

T

The quote you had earlier for an apt would be about right. Cars are MUCH cheaper here than in the UK. Buying, leasing etc is all easy. If and when you get here can direct you to a place to lease whatever you fancy at a cheaper rate than the international companies. X5 would be 350 / 400 per month depending on whether you wanted brand new or lightly used.
Yes, there is a waiting list at the Ritz Carlton - in fact, there is a waiting list to get on the waiting list!
The grass golf course is currently being remodelled to a Colin Montgomerie design, so is not in tip top shape at the moment. The sand course is not much fun IMHO.
As for being 27 and clubbing, Jeez, I'll try and cast my mind back.......

OK, the clubs here are OK - not so much London, more like a night out in Staines, Walsall or Sunderland I'd say (with accompanying multi-national ambience of course). It's OK though, and quite fun and quaint in its own right.

t19hlr Oct 23rd 2007 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5456182)
The quote you had earlier for an apt would be about right. Cars are MUCH cheaper here than in the UK. Buying, leasing etc is all easy. If and when you get here can direct you to a place to lease whatever you fancy at a cheaper rate than the international companies. X5 would be 350 / 400 per month depending on whether you wanted brand new or lightly used.
Yes, there is a waiting list at the Ritz Carlton - in fact, there is a waiting list to get on the waiting list!
The grass golf course is currently being remodelled to a Colin Montgomerie design, so is not in tip top shape at the moment. The sand course is not much fun IMHO.

OK, the clubs here are OK - not so much London, more like a night out in Staines, Walsall or Sunderland I'd say (with accompanying multi-national ambience of course). It's OK though, and quite fun and quaint in its own right.

Thanks for the info Rog_Rams, much appreciated. I'll have to squeeze out as much money from the company as I can to make up for the lack of clubbing I'll get out there!! I could always ask for an allowance to go on a monthly clubbing trip to Dubai....what are the chances they'll agree?!!! :D

Rog_Rams Oct 23rd 2007 7:36 am

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5456238)
Thanks for the info Rog_Rams, much appreciated. I'll have to squeeze out as much money from the company as I can to make up for the lack of clubbing I'll get out there!! I could always ask for an allowance to go on a monthly clubbing trip to Dubai....what are the chances they'll agree?!!! :D

Yeah, that would answer that requirement pretty well for you. There are a couple of lively places over in Dubai.

The Dubai ladies on this board would no doubt take good care of you - one way or another!!

BTW - have you seen this site? Gives you a bit of an overview of the better venues in Bahrain.

http://www.nightlifeinbahrain.com/nightlife/site2.html

MataHari Oct 23rd 2007 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5456281)
Yeah, that would answer that requirement pretty well for you. There are a couple of lively places over in Dubai.

The Dubai ladies on this board would no doubt take good care of you - one way or another!!

BTW - have you seen this site? Gives you a bit of an overview of the better venues in Bahrain.

we're the city that cares...

Blue Cat Oct 23rd 2007 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5456182)

Sunderland!! jesus that is an insult to Bahrain :eek:

Rog_Rams Oct 23rd 2007 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5456707)
Sunderland!! jesus that is an insult to Bahrain :eek:

Don't want the lad building his hopes up too high now do we!

After that description I was aiming for the reality coming as a moderately pleasant surprise!

Blue Cat Oct 23rd 2007 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5456755)
Don't want the lad building his hopes up too high now do we!

After that description I was aiming for the reality coming as a moderately pleasant surprise!

ok I see your point :thumbsup:

JohnG Oct 23rd 2007 11:48 am

These are the lot we lease all our vehicles from mate......

http://www.ekkanoo.com.bh/?q=kanoo_vehicles_leasing

Give them a shout, they do everything from little runarounds to tope exec motors.!!!

expat.brat Oct 23rd 2007 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 5454101)
Beggars.???? Cheers, that's really nice ain't it.!!! :unsure::unsure:

welcome to the brash middle east...

camel jockey Oct 23rd 2007 7:03 pm

Definately go for Juffair if you're single.. Check out apartments for a bit if you can to get the best deal, Juffair is stuffed with decent apartments now.

About the hookers, as anyone can tell you that has lived in the ME for a while, they are everywhere but if you go to decent bars they are few and far between. No comparision to London clubs though sorry mate, your fresh out of luck there! There are some nice bars that have been opening recently but the choice is rather scarce.

If you are going to be here for a while I would probably recommend buying as opposed to leasing because you will basically be paying less to buy..

Good luck xo

t19hlr Oct 24th 2007 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5456281)

Thanks for the site.

t19hlr Oct 24th 2007 7:01 am

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 5457083)
These are the lot we lease all our vehicles from mate......

http://www.ekkanoo.com.bh/?q=kanoo_vehicles_leasing

Give them a shout, they do everything from little runarounds to tope exec motors.!!!

Thanks JohnG, I'll be in Bahrain in a couple of weeks time so I might pop in and have a look.

t19hlr Oct 24th 2007 7:08 am

Originally Posted by camel jockey (Post 5458860)
Definately go for Juffair if you're single.. Check out apartments for a bit if you can to get the best deal, Juffair is stuffed with decent apartments now.

About the hookers, as anyone can tell you that has lived in the ME for a while, they are everywhere but if you go to decent bars they are few and far between. No comparision to London clubs though sorry mate, your fresh out of luck there! There are some nice bars that have been opening recently but the choice is rather scarce.

If you are going to be here for a while I would probably recommend buying as opposed to leasing because you will basically be paying less to buy..

Good luck xo

Thanks CJ. How far is Juffair from the Diplomatic area? I don't want to be too far away as I hear the traffic seems to be getting worse in Bahrain. One reason I want to move away from London is the commute, and the last thing I want is to have problems commuting to and from work.

I have thought of buying my own place, but firstly I want to be in Bahrain and have a proper look around, and secondly most of the apartments are off plan, and if they're completed they seem to have a big premium on them. But I guess buying is the better option.

JohnG Oct 24th 2007 7:42 am

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5460468)
Thanks CJ. How far is Juffair from the Diplomatic area? I don't want to be too far away as I hear the traffic seems to be getting worse in Bahrain. One reason I want to move away from London is the commute, and the last thing I want is to have problems commuting to and from work.

I have thought of buying my own place, but firstly I want to be in Bahrain and have a proper look around, and secondly most of the apartments are off plan, and if they're completed they seem to have a big premium on them. But I guess buying is the better option.

AsI said earlier mate it's about 10/15 mins depending on traffic..... The traffic isn't too bad around the diplomatic area. They are building a new roundabout near Sitra and thats where lots of the problems are.!! Juffair is deffo where you wanna be looking at living mate, close to work, loads of serviced, furnished apartments to choose from and it's where most of the nightlife is.!!!

Rog_Rams Oct 24th 2007 11:28 am

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 5460562)
AsI said earlier mate it's about 10/15 mins depending on traffic..... The traffic isn't too bad around the diplomatic area. They are building a new roundabout near Sitra and thats where lots of the problems are.!! Juffair is deffo where you wanna be looking at living mate, close to work, loads of serviced, furnished apartments to choose from and it's where most of the nightlife is.!!!

Ditto to all that. Juffair has plenty of choice, but Adliya, Um Al Hassan, Zinj would all be possibilities for you too. Commuting from any of those to the Diplomatic Area would be a doddle compared to London.

Buying property is a very new concept for expats in Bahrain and as you've noted, not much is completed yet.

Best to have a few months here first before thinking of going down that road IMHO.

JohnG Oct 24th 2007 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5461286)
Ditto to all that. Juffair has plenty of choice, but Adliya, Um Al Hassan, Zinj would all be possibilities for you too. Commuting from any of those to the Diplomatic Area would be a doddle compared to London.

Buying property is a very new concept for expats in Bahrain and as you've noted, not much is completed yet.

Best to have a few months here first before thinking of going down that road IMHO.

I'e heard that there are only certain places that Ex-Pats an buy property in.... i.e only on reclaimed land??? Dunno how true this is but might do well to check that out.!!!

Rog_Rams Oct 25th 2007 8:13 am

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 5461438)
I'e heard that there are only certain places that Ex-Pats an buy property in.... i.e only on reclaimed land??? Dunno how true this is but might do well to check that out.!!!

That's pretty much correct. More and more are in the pipeline, but at the moment, they are few and far between.

Jeeper Oct 27th 2007 6:32 pm

Don't go as a single.
Don't go as a couple.
Fine for families.

There really is nothing to do there. OK - so there's some bars and clubs but they are sh.it and outside of that there is sod all except malls (also sh.it) except for the tree of life which is only world famous in Bahrain because of the fact that no one can find it.

You can't even go for a drive to get out of town because the island is so damn small (unless you want to drive to Saudi:ohmy:)

Just don't bother - you'll regret it.

Great resturants there though! Only thing I miss. (really don't like the whole 'restuarants in hotels or malls' malarky here in Dubai).

(just re-read you intial questions and realised I didn't answer anythem really but that just means that maybe you didn't ask the right one ;-) )

t19hlr Oct 30th 2007 8:34 am

Thanks all for the advise people, I'm in Bahrain next week so I'll have a good look around.
Could anyone suggest a reliable estate agent I can go to see to enquire about property? My potential move is in January, so I think I should start looking at possible flats to rent.
I see there are a few small islands around Bahrain (a couple north-west of Bahrain which can be seen on Google Earth), are these private islands or can people visit them freely?
Also, what is the Bahraini royal family like?

Thanks again.
T

Jeeper Oct 30th 2007 8:57 am

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5487609)
Thanks all for the advise people, I'm in Bahrain next week so I'll have a good look around.
Could anyone suggest a reliable estate agent I can go to see to enquire about property? My potential move is in January, so I think I should start looking at possible flats to rent.
I see there are a few small islands around Bahrain (a couple north-west of Bahrain which can be seen on Google Earth), are these private islands or can people visit them freely?

Thanks again.
T

I will PM you the email of the agent I used - he was good - had lots of properties on his list etc

Rog_Rams Oct 30th 2007 11:31 am

Originally Posted by t19hlr (Post 5487609)

Thanks again.
T

One of the islands you mentioned is a private island, a "senior" member of the family owns it.

As for the family..........they are like any other family, some nice fellows, some not so nice, they have had oil since the 30's though, so are not lacking in home comforts.