Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Potential Middle East Move

Potential Middle East Move

Old Aug 4th 2016, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Middle East Move

Bahrain has cheaper COL though salaries tend to be lower. It's more laid back but there's far fewer things to do.

It's a tiny island so there's not much in the way of activities to do. There's no exploring the deserts or mountains or Oman as in the UAE, without making it a full trip from Bahrain. But unlike Saudi there's alcohol and the cinema and the Bahrainis aren't arrogant with a massive tree trunk up their rear.

For a family wanting a quiet life Bahrain could be doable. Find a decent set of friends, some type of club membership (if they exist) and you could be content enough.

Originally Posted by Globetrottersx4
Understood - thanks for all of your input! Wow this got quite the thread hijack, I can see I'm going to fit right in on here...

Luckily my Mrs. is focussing her efforts on International schools. Perhaps it wont pay well enough in UAE, based on your guys experiences - I guess time (an offers) will tell.

Bahrain was always an 'even keel' favourite, alongside AD and Dubai. Can anyone shed some light on its merits/expenses/benefits? Please & thanks...
Old Aug 4th 2016, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you planning to work as well ? Living off one salary is a recipe for poverty.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Globetrottersx4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I do plan on working. We were hoping that the Mrs. would be the foundation and anything I earnt would be gravy.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In Bahrain there is the British Club. It was called "The Gymkhana Club" and dates back to the 1930s. Members' attitudes are still firmly anchored in that era.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Job market is much bigger in the UAE than Bahrain, that's for sure. I'd focus on the UAE for this reason, unless you lined up a job in Bahrain before you went over (along with your wife).

Originally Posted by Globetrottersx4
Yes I do plan on working. We were hoping that the Mrs. would be the foundation and anything I earnt would be gravy.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Wahoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in Dubai, Doha and Bahrain and of them all, I would choose Bahrain for family life every time. If you are the type of person who is more down to earth and not impressed by the glitz and glamour, Bahrain is your choice.

Some people may say that there is less to do in Bahrain, and it is true, but depends what you want from life. Dubai looks at expats as consumers, where Bahrain you are more part of the community.

A good quality family sized apartment costs 800-1000 BD (8-10k AED), where a villa will cost perhaps the same, with compounds being mature and competitive.

Schools are plentiful and the August/September teacher merrygoround is starting this time of year, with lots of offers available. As long as your name / CV is with the schools, invariably you will get an offer. I know this because my wife is a teacher and it happens every year.
Don't bother with employment agencies; teaching work in Bahrain is from talking to the schools directly and word of mouth.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wahoo
I have lived in Dubai, Doha and Bahrain and of them all, I would choose Bahrain for family life every time. If you are the type of person who is more down to earth and not impressed by the glitz and glamour, Bahrain is your choice.

Some people may say that there is less to do in Bahrain, and it is true, but depends what you want from life. Dubai looks at expats as consumers, where Bahrain you are more part of the community.

A good quality family sized apartment costs 800-1000 BD (8-10k AED), where a villa will cost perhaps the same, with compounds being mature and competitive.

Schools are plentiful and the August/September teacher merrygoround is starting this time of year, with lots of offers available. As long as your name / CV is with the schools, invariably you will get an offer. I know this because my wife is a teacher and it happens every year.
Don't bother with employment agencies; teaching work in Bahrain is from talking to the schools directly and word of mouth.
Brilliant advice - thank you. Question though, if your wife is a teacher, does her package not include accommodation and amenities?
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:07 pm
On the look out

smilingcamel will become famous soon enoughsmilingcamel will become famous soon enough

I agree. I returned to the UK last year after 30 years in the Gulf. I have lived in Bahrain (first job overseas!), Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha, Sharjah and last posting Riyadh! Bahrain is my preference. Great place for family living in my opinion. COL lower, small place with some good restaurants and reasonable entertainment. Some good clubs if you want to join. Bahraini's are really nice people generally and there is a mix of old culture and new. In my opinion and I will always have my fondest memories in Bahrain. If you want to trip down to DXB or SHJ for short break in the UAE its very easy with FlyDubai or Air Arabia, so not far from the glitz if you need to have a break. If I had an opportunity to live in Bahrain again I would not hesitate.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wahoo
I would choose Bahrain for family life every time. If you are the type of person who is more down to earth and not impressed by the glitz and glamour, Bahrain is your choice.

absolutely right. My wife (v. experienced primary teacher) teaches here in Bahrain. She had her first job offer a week after arriving here. If you're experienced and qualified, Bahrain is a good place to find work in international schools the British School and St Christophers being the top two although I'd try for the latter if I were you as the former is run like a machine.

My wife gets a housing allowance and medical in her deal as well as annual flights. We've no kids so I can't speak to that side of life.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Wahoo is an unknown quantity at this point

My Wife is not teaching at the moment as we have a new baby, but suffice to say, she has never been offered any housing allowance or visas allocations with job offers.
I know of at least one top international school which provides staff dedicated accommodation, but this would definitely be the exception.
re. visas, you have to understand that the Bahrainisation of the workforce in international companies tends to limit visa allocations available from private companies, and you are at an advantage if already in country with (e.g.) spouse visa because it's cheaper and quicker for the schools to hire you. I believe that visas would be provided if schools recruit key positions from abroad, but they would probably be limited to a maximum number since the ministry of education in Bahrain likes to keep the local/expat ratio fairly even.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Superb insight - many thanks