Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Possibly moving to Riyadh - need advice

Possibly moving to Riyadh - need advice

Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:51 am
Just Joined

moonlake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibly moving to Riyadh - need advice

My husband is looking at an offer that would move us to Riyadh. Quick background, we don't have kids and I work full-time in marketing and there is no plan for either of those to change. My question is to any trailing spouses out there, what has been your experience in Riyadh trying to find work? Any input is greatly appreciated. -M
Old Jun 9th 2009, 3:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly moving to Riyadh - need advice

Welcome to BE...

But really, have a search and read some threads on the place, there's quite a lot of info already here and also a little in the wiki, though probably less so there than for other parts of the ME.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:56 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moonlake
My husband is looking at an offer that would move us to Riyadh. Quick background, we don't have kids and I work full-time in marketing and there is no plan for either of those to change. My question is to any trailing spouses out there, what has been your experience in Riyadh trying to find work? Any input is greatly appreciated. -M
Virtually NIL opportunity for western wives to find employment in Saudi Arabia where its technically illegal for women to work and/or drive, as you presumably know already. Some nursing, teaching and consular employment does exist but few and far between.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

kellieb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
Virtually NIL opportunity for western wives to find employment in Saudi Arabia where its technically illegal for women to work and/or drive, as you presumably know already. Some nursing, teaching and consular employment does exist but few and far between.
I am a female and there are a huge number of nursing jobs available in Saudi and have heard of teaching jobs available also.

Try www.bayt.com
Old Jun 9th 2009, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

To work as a nurse you have to get your papers attested by the health department. Marketing would be difficult for two reasons, the first because you are a woman and can't legally work in this profession and secondly you (I am making an assumption here, forgive me if I am wrong) can't speak Arabic.

Women do work, but the vast majority don't. Teachers assistant at school, or teacher if you are qualified, medical areas ditto, admin in a private school or nursery is about the limit for Western women.

I do know of quite a few Arabic women who work tho.

Good luck
N
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's a qualified teacher, and she's been offered a shed load of jobs, at virtually everywhere she's applied. Very easy to find work for her, though the rates of pay did vary quite significantly.

Marketing will be tougher to get into was woman, as the posters have replied - most of the jobs will be in healthcare / education.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:40 am
Just Joined

abdhulrahib is an unknown quantity at this point

The question at hand has not been addressed. Very clever threatening to prosecute people that voice their opinions in Dubai, thats just traits of this region and you guys play into it very well.

Bayt and its clans are not going to return back my money by posting a lousy come-back to my complaints. I am short of $250 thats almost a 1000 AED. Unlike you, I can give you my name, and its Anand Malhotra and I have paid you for your service 4 months ago. I want Bayt and its owners to be responsible of its illegal scam charge that they procure to get job seekers hired.

I do not care if Rabea Ataya has received his Knighthood. He is a FRAUD and that doesn't change for me only because he charges poor job seekers $250 for a CV that is not justified in content nor is it justified in layout. Only charge if you can honor your claims, you clearly have not, in my case rather or perhaps many more who do not know how to voice their opinions online. I bet you guys rather deal with jobs seekers that fax in their CV's or call you for an appointment.

My order number is 5543325.22 thats all you need to know in order to track my payment made on November 24th, 2009. The position that I have applied for was for an Accountant Analyst.

If you issue me a refund, I will reduce or quit the frequency of my postings as a sign of good faith from other sites. I will also give you another week or so for you to decide what steps you must taken for me to receive this payment.

Looking forward to your legally coated clever bullshit response that is baseless of material facts. Please do peruse me for prosecution but do return my money back as thats all I need for now.

I guarantee you that no Indian would ever register on your website if I do not get my money back.

I have gotten every crafty response from you guys up until now for reasons my money cannot be refunded. I was told that your CV services were availed and that there was no money back guarantee. So what about the job guarantee ? I was under the assumption that I had a job lined up and all I had to do was get my CV created by Bayt.

I have yet to see what response you guys are capable of coming up with this time.

This frustration made possible only by Bayt and only in Dubai where company's like these get away only because money taken from job seekers like me are probably stashed away into the local partners bank account.

Until next time.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abdhulrahib
The question at hand has not been addressed. Very clever threatening to prosecute people that voice their opinions in Dubai, thats just traits of this region and you guys play into it very well.

Bayt and its clans are not going to return back my money by posting a lousy come-back to my complaints. I am short of $250 thats almost a 1000 AED. Unlike you, I can give you my name, and its Anand Malhotra and I have paid you for your service 4 months ago. I want Bayt and its owners to be responsible of its illegal scam charge that they procure to get job seekers hired.

I do not care if Rabea Ataya has received his Knighthood. He is a FRAUD and that doesn't change for me only because he charges poor job seekers $250 for a CV that is not justified in content nor is it justified in layout. Only charge if you can honor your claims, you clearly have not, in my case rather or perhaps many more who do not know how to voice their opinions online. I bet you guys rather deal with jobs seekers that fax in their CV's or call you for an appointment.

My order number is 5543325.22 thats all you need to know in order to track my payment made on November 24th, 2009. The position that I have applied for was for an Accountant Analyst.

If you issue me a refund, I will reduce or quit the frequency of my postings as a sign of good faith from other sites. I will also give you another week or so for you to decide what steps you must taken for me to receive this payment.

Looking forward to your legally coated clever bullshit response that is baseless of material facts. Please do peruse me for prosecution but do return my money back as thats all I need for now.

I guarantee you that no Indian would ever register on your website if I do not get my money back.

I have gotten every crafty response from you guys up until now for reasons my money cannot be refunded. I was told that your CV services were availed and that there was no money back guarantee. So what about the job guarantee ? I was under the assumption that I had a job lined up and all I had to do was get my CV created by Bayt.

I have yet to see what response you guys are capable of coming up with this time.

This frustration made possible only by Bayt and only in Dubai where company's like these get away only because money taken from job seekers like me are probably stashed away into the local partners bank account.

Until next time.
Could I just say 'hello' before you are deleted? Thanks.

It's been fun.............. goodbye.