Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to obtain title for an abandoned vehicle in Dubai?

Is it possible to obtain title for an abandoned vehicle in Dubai?

Old Jan 13th 2011, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Gheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really nice
Default Is it possible to obtain title for an abandoned vehicle in Dubai?

I was given the keys for a motorcycle that was owned by someone who has left the country never to return. I can contact the owner but as I understand it, he needs to transfer ownership in person which would require his presence in the UAE.

Obviously I have not used it as it would be illegal to do so but now that I have a residency visa is there any way I can gain legal ownership so that I can?
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:07 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to obtain title for an abandoned vehicle in Dubai?

I doubt it very much, is there any finance owed?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Dubai GRO is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gheko
I was given the keys for a motorcycle that was owned by someone who has left the country never to return. I can contact the owner but as I understand it, he needs to transfer ownership in person which would require his presence in the UAE.

Obviously I have not used it as it would be illegal to do so but now that I have a residency visa is there any way I can gain legal ownership so that I can?
Better not use until ownership transferred. what you could do is, after consulting the concerned traffic department and clearing any outstanding debts, is to obtain original ownership transfer letter from current owner, duly attested from UAE's embassy in London (or wherever he resides) and send that to UAE. I guess owner can't travel to UAE in person huh?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Gheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really niceGheko is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dubai GRO
Better not use until ownership transferred. what you could do is, after consulting the concerned traffic department and clearing any outstanding debts, is to obtain original ownership transfer letter from current owner, duly attested from UAE's embassy in London (or wherever he resides) and send that to UAE. I guess owner can't travel to UAE in person huh?
Nah I daren't use it at all until I can legally. Thanks for the advice though, I shall look into that.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gheko

surely first step is to go and talk to the traffic dept they will let you know what to do, but you will have to pay off any outstanding fines, and if there is a loan on it then thats where the fun and games will start.