Reload this Page >

Possible - Dubail from UK

Possible - Dubail from UK

Old Aug 17th 2013, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

mcooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible - Dubail from UK

Hi All,

I was wondering if you could offer some advice...

I have been in basic discussions regards moving to Dubai to take a job.

Q1 - If I moved and started work say, October 1st2013 - how would this work out tax wise? obviously I have already paid tax this financial year. Would I have to pay tax in Dubai? Could I claim back some tax from HMRC?

Q2 - Generally do you think the package below sounds enough to live and save (this is yet to be negotiated). I don't have any children.
*Housing and Bills
*Car and Fuel
*Health Insurance
*Salary in Dubai of £52,000 a year + bonus (4-8%ish).

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

M
Old Aug 17th 2013, 2:15 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible - Dubail from UK

Tax situation is dealt with in various other threads, do a search--its a commonly asked question. Trust Meow's advice.

As to package--hell yes. Basically all you'll have to fork out is flights home (usually you get at least one of those a year), so your £52k per year is split between expenses you'll still have in UK (if any, eg mortgage), essentials (food, which if you're frugal is cheaper than in UK, if you're lavish then hugely more expensive), fun (comparable or hugely more expensive), pension alternative, and saving. A single person can live comfortably on £1k a month for food and fun.

In essence you'll be on a salary equivalent to £77k (before bonus), with all your major (and some minor) expenses paid.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 2:17 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Get them to provide accommodation otherwise it's a bit tight.

Edited to add, £52k and all the above benefits. That's a yes then.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bahtatboy,

Apologies I forgot - 3 return flights are on the table....

I have read the tax threads, and the HMRC - Seems v complicated as ever! I will get the advice of an accountant.

Regards,
Old Aug 17th 2013, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Kix - just to confirm the offer includes accommodation and bills (Not sure what or where yet...) Hopefully its not a tent and hole in the sand!

Cheers.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 2:29 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcooper
Thanks Bahtatboy,

Apologies I forgot - 3 return flights are on the table....

I have read the tax threads, and the HMRC - Seems v complicated as ever! I will get the advice of an accountant.

Regards,
On a basic level not really that complicated. Have a scout round Meow's site. However, better safe than sorry, just make sure you ask someone who really knows.

Kix - just to confirm the offer includes accommodation and bills (Not sure what or where yet...) Hopefully its not a tent and hole in the sand!

Cheers.
Accommodation varies greatly. Location is important vis-à-vis your workplace--driving is mental, but if you're used to a major UK city then you'll get used to it quickly. You'll still find it mental, though. Location is also important from a lifestyle perspective (did I just write that?)--I doubt most westerners would be happy stuck in a suburb, or a whole city, that's more like Mumbai than you're expectations of Dubai. Again, there's lots of advice on here about locations.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 6:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I was wondering if you could offer some advice...

I have been in basic discussions regards moving to Dubai to take a job.

Q1 - If I moved and started work say, October 1st2013 - how would this work out tax wise? obviously I have already paid tax this financial year. Would I have to pay tax in Dubai? Could I claim back some tax from HMRC?

Q2 - Generally do you think the package below sounds enough to live and save (this is yet to be negotiated). I don't have any children.
*Housing and Bills
*Car and Fuel
*Health Insurance
*Salary in Dubai of £52,000 a year + bonus (4-8%ish).

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

M
The tax situation depends on how long you remain UK non-resident in total. You need to be out of the UK for at least one full tax year, but liability to UK income tax during partial years of non-residency is dependent on total years out. You may qualify for the A11 split year concession or you may need to be out for at least four tax years for the partial year to be non-taxable.

If you complete and return HMRC form P85 you should get a refund as your Personal Allowance is recalulated over just six months.

Note that not all UK accountants are familar with the rules for non-residency as few deal with such issues.

As Bahtatboy kindly suggested take a look at my site and these articles.

http://financialuae.me/2013/02/12/in...esidency-test/

http://financialuae.me/2012/05/03/gu...ated-may-2012/

Last edited by Meow; Aug 18th 2013 at 6:56 am.