Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Pool Maintenance costs

Pool Maintenance costs

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pool Maintenance costs

Hello - against my better judgement I'm considering a villa with a private pool.*

Any idea how much the monthly cost is to have a man come around fish out the leaves and chuck in the chlorine?

*Things are really that desperate in the house search that I'm considering taking on the liability that is a pool as there is nothing else available.

Thanks, Millhouse

Last edited by Millhouse; Jul 22nd 2012 at 3:57 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pool Maintenance costs

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Hello - against my better judgement I'm considering a villa with a private pool.*

Any idea how much the monthly cost is to have a man come around fish out the leaves and chuck in the chlorine?

*Things are really that desperate in the house search that I'm considering taking on the liability that is a pool as there is nothing else to available.

Thanks, Millhouse
I pay a company 400dhs a month for twice weekly visits. They clean/add chemicals/backwash etc as nec. That price includes all chemicals.
The dewa costs are not too much, just don't use a chiller/heater...my pool temp is fine in the summer...remember? You were here last Ramadan..the pool wasn't too hot was it?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I pay a company 400dhs a month for twice weekly visits. They clean/add chemicals/backwash etc as nec. That price includes all chemicals.
The dewa costs are not too much, just don't use a chiller/heater...my pool temp is fine in the summer...remember? You were here last Ramadan..the pool wasn't too hot was it?
Perfect - Thank you Patsy.

Yes, I do remember the temp... perfect.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You don't need one mate.

My old man's pool in Crete is maintained by him. 60 mins of reading online, buy the chlorine blocks and the powder, the test kit and get someone to show you how to use the pump room etc.

Will take you 20 mins a week to maintain yourself.

Plus, you're small enough to negotiate pump rooms.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be taking your maid on holiday next......
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
You'll be taking your maid on holiday next......
Exactly what I was thinking! I wonder if she will be allowed to use the pool
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

You lush Millhouse!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Guys guys guys. The last thing I want is a pool... but that's pretty much all there is to view at the moment. All the decent houses (read cheap) have gone.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You don't need one mate.

My old man's pool in Crete is maintained by him. 60 mins of reading online, buy the chlorine blocks and the powder, the test kit and get someone to show you how to use the pump room etc.

Will take you 20 mins a week to maintain yourself.
Plus, you're small enough to negotiate pump rooms.
Darling, that is fine if you have nothing better to do with your time.. I know how to maintain a pool, check ph levels, backwash etc BUT..why would I want to when for the equiv. of 70 pounds a month somebody does it for me? The pool man takes about an hour to clean the filters/vacumn/test the levels etc and tidy up. I get to sit by the pool with some bubbly and watch
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 10:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Darling, that is fine if you have nothing better to do with your time.. I know how to maintain a pool, check ph levels, backwash etc BUT..why would I want to when for the equiv. of 70 pounds a month somebody does it for me? The pool man takes about an hour to clean the filters/vacumn/test the levels etc and tidy up. I get to sit by the pool with some bubbly and watch
Yeah I agree (and the old man is retired).

But it's not difficult. I'm trying to keep the mindset of - I can do it, so why pay someone else to.

So far cut back on dry cleaning and pressing shirts (350 dhs a month saved)
Cleaner once every two weeks (300 dhs saved)

108 quid a month saved from that = 1300 quid a year saved = flights home at Xmas for the Mrs and I paid for.

........in an ideal world.........now, where the **** are my shirts.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah I agree (and the old man is retired).

But it's not difficult. I'm trying to keep the mindset of - I can do it, so why pay someone else to.

So far cut back on dry cleaning and pressing shirts (350 dhs a month saved)
Cleaner once every two weeks (300 dhs saved)

108 quid a month saved from that = 1300 quid a year saved = flights home at Xmas for the Mrs and I paid for.

........in an ideal world.........now, where the **** are my shirts.
Well done darling, I know that is what I should do, but TBH, saving the equivalent of a bottle of bubbly a month (650dhs) having to clean my own house or having to do my own ironing doesn't seem worth it to me
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:23 am
Account Closed

Well done darling, I know that is what I should do, but TBH, saving the equivalent of a bottle of bubbly a month (650dhs) having to clean my own house or having to do my own ironing doesn't seem worth it to me
It doesn't seem worth it to me either. But I've got 2 weeks in 'Nam to pay for. So easy to be flippant with 100 and 200 dizzle notes. Still mickey mouse money.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It doesn't seem worth it to me either. But I've got 2 weeks in 'Nam to pay for. So easy to be flippant with 100 and 200 dizzle notes. Still mickey mouse money.
you have settled in well young Scamp
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

you have settled in well young Scamp
Not really. I'm still a twat that blows 1,000 dizzers on a night at Rocky Bottoms.

I'm not all sensible.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not really. I'm still a twat that blows 1,000 dizzers on a night at Rocky Bottoms.

I'm not all sensible.
Dear God darling!!! 1k at RB's...surely the working girls there are not that expensive???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.