Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Please help with visa question for saudi

Please help with visa question for saudi

Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

WHISKYSPRITE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help with visa question for saudi

My husband has been offered a job in riyhad as a manager in construction.The job offer comes with an apartment in a compound. the company has told my husband that he has to travel alone and take on bachelor status to gain his visa first and then apply for me to join him! why can he we not go together as marital status on a family visa? Is this not possible? I have tried everywhere to gain an answer to this and still come up with nothing, any info will be greatly appreciated
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: Please help with visa question for saudi

Your husband first has to get an IQAMA (resident permit) then he can sponsor your visa. He will also have a 3 month probationary period in his contract. You can not go together,
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:48 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by WHISKYSPRITE
My husband has been offered a job in riyhad as a manager in construction.The job offer comes with an apartment in a compound. the company has told my husband that he has to travel alone and take on bachelor status to gain his visa first and then apply for me to join him! why can he we not go together as marital status on a family visa? Is this not possible? I have tried everywhere to gain an answer to this and still come up with nothing, any info will be greatly appreciated
Saudi? Bit different to Nova Scotia isn't it!
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a good choice of user-name if you're Riyadh bound....
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Your husband first has to get an IQAMA (resident permit) then he can sponsor your visa. He will also have a 3 month probationary period in his contract. You can not go together,
Hi, so does that mean he can't apply for my visa until after the three month probation period? Is there no way I can go on a temporary visa? I just don't want to be stuck in uk over christmas ! I am also bringing my two shih tzu puppies with me !!! Any advice to offer ? Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2012, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Hi
I think it all depends on the employer, the type of job and the employee nationality. I know that expats from the Middle East and South Asia who are emplyed in KSA have to travel alone first, get Iqama and apply for their families to get visas. However, I know employees from EU, US and the West who go together. The latter option requires the emplyer to go to what is called "Isteqdam office" and apply for the employee family to get what is called visa block for the whole family.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

I have not met anyone in KSA who has travelled out with spouse, nor have I met anyone who would advise doing so. Husband needs to get out their evaluate the situation with accommodation etc before you make the move. I do know people who do not have an IQAMA but have managed to get a visa for their wife. In these cases the wife has managed to get a business visa through the company giving a contract of employment. Remember your Husband will be working Christmas day so unless you have built up a social circle you will be spending a pretty miserable christmas sitting in a villa in a compound on your own. We enjoyed the social life in KSA but it took us 6 months to get visas, accommodation, transport etc sorted out. Step by step: don't rush it.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 5:14 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

I have not met anyone in KSA who has travelled out with spouse, nor have I met anyone who would advise doing so. Husband needs to get out their evaluate the situation with accommodation etc before you make the move. I do know people who do not have an IQAMA but have managed to get a visa for their wife. In these cases the wife has managed to get a business visa through the company giving a contract of employment. Remember your Husband will be working Christmas day so unless you have built up a social circle you will be spending a pretty miserable christmas sitting in a villa in a compound on your own. We enjoyed the social life in KSA but it took us 6 months to get visas, accommodation, transport etc sorted out. Step by step: don't rush it.
+1

Hubby goes first is the rule.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

+1 again - only time I know of that the wife has come at same time is if she is being employed and is coming on her own visa sponsored by employer.

As he will be in probation period it is unlikely he will be allowed to take leave during that time.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

mandm65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EastWest
Hi
I think it all depends on the employer, the type of job and the employee nationality. I know that expats from the Middle East and South Asia who are emplyed in KSA have to travel alone first, get Iqama and apply for their families to get visas. However, I know employees from EU, US and the West who go together. The latter option requires the emplyer to go to what is called "Isteqdam office" and apply for the employee family to get what is called visa block for the whole family.
Correct, we had had our family visa issued together but I still choose to travel alone, just was not sure what to expect and certainly wanted Mrs/Kids to avoid any unwelcome surprises. With the hindsight it was the best decision we made :-)
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

I think I would still rather be with my husband than apart at christmas, we have spent Christmas apart before due to him working out in Angola and it was awful, at least he would be coming home on a night, and I also will have my two doggies to keep me busy !! I really don't want to spend another few months apart if I can possibly travel with him then I would rather do this. Thanks again for your reply it's much appreciated
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandm65
Correct, we had had our family visa issued together but I still choose to travel alone, just was not sure what to expect and certainly wanted Mrs/Kids to avoid any unwelcome surprises. With the hindsight it was the best decision we made :-)
I just don't understand why my husbands company is saying he has to go on bachelor visa first , they are saying that there are no family visas! Yet I hear that you can get one . It's also noted that its very difficult to change your status from single staus to married once your out there, any info on this ? Thankyou for your help
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

Companies here are funny - it depends on their policies, what they are allowed to do by the government, how much wasta (influence) they have and whether they are prepared to pay the money to get these things. It would also depend upon how many iquamas the company is allowed to sponsor - there are limits on how many, to what country, how long etc and again each company is different.

So for example there are multi-entry exit/ reentry visas available - but in the company my husband works for they will only do this for families of VP's and above; Directors and above can get one for themselves but not their family and anyone else is not eligible unless they travel regularly for work. They are available and I know people in other companies whose families have them - but our company won't do it.

This may be the situation you are in - the company is prepared to get a single, probably business, temporary 90 day entry visa for your husband - which it is my understanding is the easiest and most common one to get. Then when he is here he applies for the Iquama (permanent resident card) with the company as his sponsor, which generally doesn't take very long. As such he is considered by the company as a bachelor because they are only sponsoring him, not you; not to be confused with the fact that he is married and you will have arrangements in a contract for house, flights etc.

He then makes an application for you to join him as his wife and the family visa will be issued to HIM, using his Iquama number, not to the company. This is not a problem as long as you have the necessary paperwork to prove you are married. This means that you are HIS responsibility and he is your 'legal guardian' (women are minors here), not the company. This means that you need only HIS permission to leave the country, while he needs the permission of the company. It also means the same for access to bank accounts etc.

Some companies will not apply for the family visa for 2 reasons:
1. because they do not want the added burden of being responsible for family members
2. they would have a limited number of iquamas that they are allowed to issue and would not want to 'waste' one on a family member when they could be using it to employ another person.

If they say they will not get or support a family visa - then you won't get one and will just have to come to terms with it, like we have had to about the multi reentry visa - this is KSA and there is not one set of rules......

Last edited by dragonladyoz; Sep 20th 2012 at 7:06 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

now I get it !! That seems to make sense, Thankyou. So can my husband apply for my visa once he gets his iqama or does he have to wait until he has done his 90 days ? He will be employed as a rigging manager so hopefully this will allow him to sponsor me. have you any experience of bringing any pets over with you ? I have 2 shihztu puppies that I am hoping to bring, just had there passports sorted out. also, how's life over there , sorry for the list of questions but my head is swimming with if and buts ha !!!!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Yes he can apply for your visa as soon as he gets the iquama - although some people/companies may make you wait until the probation is up, again no set rule here. Some wait as they don't want to go to expense when company / employee may terminate at end of probation. In all honesty, by the time he gets here, does medical, paperwork etc and gets iquama it is probably going to be at least 4 weeks minimum - assuming things like the Eid holiday at end of Oct doesn't get in the way (everything shuts down and does nothing in that time) and the process goes smoothly.

He should be able to sponsor you - I'm not sure if there are any job descriptions on the iquama where you aren't allowed to sponsor family - maybe others can shed light?

No experience with bringing pets into KSA sorry! We have a couple of cats that have 'adopted' us here though.

Life here is pretty good - but I'm in Jeddah which is much more relaxed (less conservative, more liberal) than Riyadh and has better weather (and beaches)! Make sure you have an idea of what you might like to do to keep yourself busy - otherwise there is the tendency to get a bit bored!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.