Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Please help me decide where I should get paid

Please help me decide where I should get paid

Old Feb 5th 2021, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Don63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please help me decide where I should get paid

As others have said, an offshore USD account in the name of the account holder with a residential address (possibly in Canada) could work. To open this account you need to apply and may have to complete an International Tax Compliance Form, a form that permits the automatic exchange of information for tax/government reasons. The residential address could be for correspondence only but the bank will also need proof of an actual residence in KSA. Best to have an account that allows you to transfer USD to CAD between accounts within the same bank but you take the risk with FOREX. Try Santander International, Isle of Man/Jersey who may have this facility. For this to work, the employment contract may be in SAR but you must be sure the employer is prepared to convert salary payments to USD, @ c 3.65 SAR / USD that may change with each payment due to FOREX. What may be a pain is the country where the Business Visa will be processed that will also be the location of the Saudi Embassy issuing the visa. It is usually the applicants passport country or third country if holding a residency other than the passport country (tax residency is not the same). Without a third country it could mean Canada and a trip there to obtain and renew the visa (every 6 or 12 months). KSA Embassies usually nominate VFS Tasheel to process visas who act as interface with the embassy and are quick in processing the visa (1 / 2 days). Note, issuance of a Business Visa means (probably) no employment rights; you cannot open a bank account (as you are aware) and; you would need an International Drivers License for car rental as you cannot buy a vehicle. This is from experience, but finding accommodation should not be a problem. Good luck.

Last edited by Don63; Feb 5th 2021 at 3:33 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 6:00 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don63
As others have said, an offshore USD account in the name of the account holder with a residential address (possibly in Canada) could work. To open this account you need to apply and may have to complete an International Tax Compliance Form, a form that permits the automatic exchange of information for tax/government reasons. The residential address could be for correspondence only but the bank will also need proof of an actual residence in KSA. Best to have an account that allows you to transfer USD to CAD between accounts within the same bank but you take the risk with FOREX. Try Santander International, Isle of Man/Jersey who may have this facility. For this to work, the employment contract may be in SAR but you must be sure the employer is prepared to convert salary payments to USD, @ c 3.65 SAR / USD that may change with each payment due to FOREX.

What may be a pain is the country where the Business Visa will be processed that will also be the location of the Saudi Embassy issuing the visa. It is usually the applicants passport country or third country if holding a residency other than the passport country (tax residency is not the same). Without a third country it could mean Canada and a trip there to obtain and renew the visa (every 6 or 12 months). KSA Embassies usually nominate VFS Tasheel to process visas who act as interface with the embassy and are quick in processing the visa (1 / 2 days). Note, issuance of a Business Visa means (probably) no employment rights; you cannot open a bank account (as you are aware)

......and; you would need an International Drivers License for car rental as you cannot buy a vehicle. This is from experience, but finding accommodation should not be a problem. Good luck.
Thank you for the detailed inforDon63 . I am aware that I wot be able to buy a car on a Business Visa, but are you sure that I have to have an international driving license to rent a car? Because I thought that my Canadian license would suffice for that purpose.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Don63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: Drivers license - i had Australian that was not accepted on its own. When in KSA 2014-2018, the car hire company (SIXT) only accepted other GCC drivers licenses without international. I became UAE Resident who allowed a transfer from AUS meaning no International Drivers license after that point for driving in KSA. Maybe check the policy of the hire company but when i had an accident it became a serious point of concern and fortunately i had the International.