Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Percentage uplift for moving

Percentage uplift for moving

Old Jun 30th 2021, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Mr Cenary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Percentage uplift for moving

What idiot works six days a week though?
Old Jul 1st 2021, 3:45 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Cenary
What idiot works six days a week though?
It's reasonably standard for a lot of construction roles, especially on the execution side.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 4:38 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Preaching to the converted about a job paying a rate. I can't stand people with 3 or 4 kids moaning that school fees aren't paid and villas aren't provided. These benefits aren't needed in high volume or cost for a single man/woman, why should they be paid a huge amount more money just because they've reproduced more?

Still, I was using the days/week one as a great example of someone simply wanting 20% more to go from 5 to 6 days, if there's a 20% increase in hours, it's not an unreasonable request at all.........but telling someone you think they should accept a good % less for 6 to 5 days - suddenly it doesn't work like that.
I find salary negotiations fascinating, people bring all their personal circumstances to the table as valid points for my consideration. I'd only be interested if I literally cannot find anyone else and am forced into hiring them. Sell me on how you are personally going to make more profit etc. for the company despite your higher cost, then I'm listening.

It's depressing how much hiring is simply bums on a seat at a budgeted cost these days rather than what they bring - even in more senior roles.

Last edited by weasel decentral; Jul 1st 2021 at 4:40 am.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 7:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I find salary negotiations fascinating, people bring all their personal circumstances to the table as valid points for my consideration. I'd only be interested if I literally cannot find anyone else and am forced into hiring them. Sell me on how you are personally going to make more profit etc. for the company despite your higher cost, then I'm listening.

It's depressing how much hiring is simply bums on a seat at a budgeted cost these days rather than what they bring - even in more senior roles.
Preach.

Jobs are worth an amount to perform them. If an individual costs 2x as much as another because they have children and greater financial burdens, the problem is theirs, not the company employing them.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Mr Cenary is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that was a bullet dodged.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

slo0079 is an unknown quantity at this point

If an individual costs 2x as much as another because they have children and greater financial burdens, the problem is theirs, not the company employing them.
Company has to pay for schools otherwise I'm not moving from a country with free schooling to one with very expensive ones. After all, we want to earn more money here, not lose a lot.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slo0079
Company has to pay for schools otherwise I'm not moving from a country with free schooling to one with very expensive ones. After all, we want to earn more money here, not lose a lot.
What if you get a big pay rise and no schooling?
Old Sep 29th 2021, 7:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
What if you get a big pay rise and no schooling?
Too much difficult to compute.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 8:29 am
Just Joined

If you don't have kids, what's the question?
Old Sep 29th 2021, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Preach.

Jobs are worth an amount to perform them. If an individual costs 2x as much as another because they have children and greater financial burdens, the problem is theirs, not the company employing them.
Very 'black and white' view there Scamp

If I were building a team of expats I'd be happy with a mix of single status dudes and more costly family-men (equally dudesses/-women). The networking opportunities when kids are in Brit School or Football/Rugby/Netball Clubs are important. Relationships built with potential clients and peers where the singletons are building relationships with members of the night time economy (and also some peers and potential clients).Staff retention possibly better for family status. Hard to quantify though.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 9:24 am
Account Closed

If you don't have kids, what's the question?
Question is, how much more do I get paid to compensate for not receiving schooling.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

company doesn’t have to do anything….. if you don’t want to move someone else will …… unless of course your skill set and experience is so unique that they can’t pass you by. ….. but with respect I doubt that is the case.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Question is, how much more do I get paid to compensate for not receiving schooling.
Nothing. Life is not fair.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by UKMS
company doesn’t have to do anything….. if you don’t want to move someone else will …… unless of course your skill set and experience is so unique that they can’t pass you by. ….. but with respect I doubt that is the case.
I had one initial video interview for 15 minutes, without any follow up. I thought they either hated me or had made a choice already, and were just ticking a box... The offer came a few days later - total surprise.

I was so disappointed when I saw it. I turned them down politely. They asked for salary slips, etc. In the end, the company made 4 offers - the last one was 61% higher than the first - which I accepted. I don't know how they justified internally. It's the same JG.

In terms of uplift (OP's query), I'm getting 56% above current net salary rates. However, I will need to save some funding for pension as my state UK and previous employers' private plans are not going to cut it. So I estimate, after higher living costs (and pension), I will save 100% more per month than currently. That's what clinched the deal for us.

I'm really hoping the allowances cover housing and schooling as advertised. The latter is the scariest part since I haven't found one with spaces.

The uplift will be greater if I get a bonus...
Old Sep 29th 2021, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

I had one initial video interview for 15 minutes, without any follow up. I thought they either hated me or had made a choice already, and were just ticking a box... The offer came a few days later - total surprise.

I was so disappointed when I saw it. I turned them down politely. They asked for salary slips, etc. In the end, the company made 4 offers - the last one was 61% higher than the first - which I accepted. I don't know how they justified internally. It's the same JG.

In terms of uplift (OP's query), I'm getting 56% above current net salary rates. However, I will need to save some funding for pension as my state UK and previous employers' private plans are not going to cut it. So I estimate, after higher living costs (and pension), I will save 100% more per month than currently. That's what clinched the deal for us.

I'm really hoping the allowances cover housing and schooling as advertised. The latter is the scariest part since I haven't found one with spaces.

The uplift will be greater if I get a bonus...
Regarding your education and housing allowance is this in your formal offer and/or contract ? The way you describe ’hoping’ it’s as advertised sounds as though it’s not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.