Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Are the people in Dubai Superficial??

Are the people in Dubai Superficial??

Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are the people in Dubai Superficial??

Originally Posted by MovingToMidEast
Mata Hari - you made valid points. its not necessarily superficialness - i guess more than anything, on a general basis, are people in dubai (or do people in dubai) become arrogant because of potential lifestyle changes?
i agree with mh...and i do agree it's arrogance that hits some people rather than superficiality...

i mean, at what point do these women become too important to pick stuff off supermarket shelves and put them in their own trolley...the number of women you see pointing stuff out to the maid to put in is incredible...same as the ones who seem incapable of picking their kids up from school without a maid in tow to carry the bags...

MM, xx
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

that whole supermarket with the maid thing always made me laugh - says so much about the person doing it LOL. I think the problem is that many people forget where they came from - the worst part of course if that they end up with foul ex-pat brats who treat their maids like scum and are totally incapable of carrying their school bags, brushing their hair or tying their shoes.

N
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:43 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

MH’s comment about attacking people for superficiality without knowing the rest of the story is on target.

When my sister lived in Jakarta, she always took her maid to the markets with her. Why? Because the maid liked getting out of the villa for a few hours. They’d do the marketing and then my sister would have coffee somewhere for a hour and the maid would have a hour of her own to wander around the mall.

I won’t defend everyone taking their maids to the market out here. But often you can tell just by looking whether it’s an overburdened maid and a demanding madam, or if it’s a pair with an easygoing relationship that wants to get out of the villa for a bit. I imagine the maids must have a boring life if they spend all day in the villas and don’t have much opportunity for a change of scenery.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:41 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

I have a related question:

Do people in Dubai discriminate against other expats from the "wrong" developments?

If we lived in the Springs and met someone from Jumeirah, would we hear "Oh, the Springs... how nice".
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:48 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i agree with mh...and i do agree it's arrogance that hits some people rather than superficiality...

i mean, at what point do these women become too important to pick stuff off supermarket shelves and put them in their own trolley...the number of women you see pointing stuff out to the maid to put in is incredible...same as the ones who seem incapable of picking their kids up from school without a maid in tow to carry the bags...

MM, xx
yea i agree with that also, which means i guess i agree with MH as well..
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:51 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aikman7981

Do people in Dubai discriminate against other expats from the "wrong" developments?

If we lived in the Springs and met someone from Jumeirah, would we hear "Oh, the Springs... how nice".
its hardly discrimination lol, its more a perceived status thing. I lived in the springs and to be honest, i would have killed to have lived down Jumeirah..but simply couldnt afford it..

now i am the opposite, i live in without doubt the best area in AD and i see people like poor old busybee who just cant make the grade to get in here..its a crying shame..
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:55 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Al Ain...how quaint...
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:59 am
banned

Originally Posted by Roadking
Oh, Al Ain...how quaint...
chur chur
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:12 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

I'm American... what does chur mean?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:20 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
its hardly discrimination lol, its more a perceived status thing. I lived in the springs and to be honest, i would have killed to have lived down Jumeirah..but simply couldnt afford it..

now i am the opposite, i live in without doubt the best area in AD and i see people like poor old busybee who just cant make the grade to get in here..its a crying shame..
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

aah the dubai post code snobbery(without the postcode that is) the amount of brits i have seen that get there arses turned here by trying to live in an area that is deemed 'more upmarket' is countless.
iv seen them all come and go off and on for over 15yrs and theres nothing turns a brit faster than VILLAS,POOLS,MAIDS and BRUNCHES,i have never lived anywhere else than deira/bur dubai in all my time here, for one its real , for two im here to work and for three i would probably commit murder if i was living next door to CRISPIN,the 23year old senior business development manager from surrey who likes to 'chill out at the barasti'with friends on a weekend.
no wonder this towns on its arse!!!!
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander

Where's that!?

I think MH's post is spot on and would like to add that people's confidence can soar here after moving up a few steps in the buying chain. Hence, those who spoke to others like crap before hand are even more likely to do it now they just feel more at ease doing it. Also some play acting is involved as being at the bottom of the food chain previously, they have no idea how to act with a bit of grace.

SOme people stay nice though and keep their sense of humour, it's just finding them!
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:49 am
banned

Originally Posted by co durham boy
aah the dubai post code snobbery(without the postcode that is) the amount of brits i have seen that get there arses turned here by trying to live in an area that is deemed 'more upmarket' is countless.
iv seen them all come and go off and on for over 15yrs and theres nothing turns a brit faster than VILLAS,POOLS,MAIDS and BRUNCHES,i have never lived anywhere else than deira/bur dubai in all my time here, for one its real , for two im here to work and for three i would probably commit murder if i was living next door to CRISPIN,the 23year old senior business development manager from surrey who likes to 'chill out at the barasti'with friends on a weekend.
spot on
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:50 am
banned

Originally Posted by al dente
Where's that!?

I think MH's post is spot on and would like to add that people's confidence can soar here after moving up a few steps in the buying chain. Hence, those who spoke to others like crap before hand are even more likely to do it now they just feel more at ease doing it. Also some play acting is involved as being at the bottom of the food chain previously, they have no idea how to act with a bit of grace.

SOme people stay nice though and keep their sense of humour, it's just finding them!
mangrove (and i am only kidding before you start faulting the place!!)
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:59 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
wonderful!! if we could get back down to real Dubai we would be there like a shot, we are looking at RAK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.