Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Paypal and Shop and Ship

Paypal and Shop and Ship

Old Aug 20th 2012, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paypal and Shop and Ship

Paypal locked my account because i logged from Qatar (a UK account). I called them and explained I am out here but still wish to use my paypal for ebay, etc. So that I can ship items to UK via shop and ship.

They say no UK account can only be accessed from UK. WTF.

How are existing people in Qatar using paypal along with shop n ship? Problem is if I open a Qatar paypal account (dont even know if it exists), how will i link it to my UK bank account and credit card? Also, if the shipping address will be of UK, wont paypal again have the same problem of billing address in Qatar while shipping address in UK?
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:23 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paypal and Shop and Ship

Originally Posted by AirBender
Paypal locked my account because i logged from Qatar (a UK account). I called them and explained I am out here but still wish to use my paypal for ebay, etc. So that I can ship items to UK via shop and ship.

They say no UK account can only be accessed from UK. WTF.

How are existing people in Qatar using paypal along with shop n ship? Problem is if I open a Qatar paypal account (dont even know if it exists), how will i link it to my UK bank account and credit card? Also, if the shipping address will be of UK, wont paypal again have the same problem of billing address in Qatar while shipping address in UK?
Really? I've never had that problem before.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that's weird, I have a UK Paypal account I used from here recently with no issues?
Old Aug 20th 2012, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

----------------> VPN is your friend. Try Witopia, I've used it for years and you can select multiple VPN locations, is gr8 for watching BBC/ITV/C4 but also Hulu etc
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Really? I've never had that problem before.
Tell me about it, now they want to have my bank statement and credit card statement which is linked to my account to show the exact same UK address that I have on Paypal.

I have already changed my address at bank and at credit card company to be of Doha.

I am now thinking to send my statements to shop and ship address, and then scan and send it to them. Will at least take a month or two to sort out.

The customer service guy says, sorry we cannot remove the lock. The management have reviewed it and decided to not unlock it until conditions are met (sounds like a Doha style customer services).
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

I've heard of them doing this kind of thing before, which IMHO is completely illegal. Basically they are holding your money unlawfully. Imagine if they do this with 5% of their customers... Is a nice chunk of cashflow, and interest for them. Demand they repay your money immediately and close your account. Who the fvck needs paypal anyway? Use a credit card mate.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
I've heard of them doing this kind of thing before, which IMHO is completely illegal. Basically they are holding your money unlawfully. Imagine if they do this with 5% of their customers... Is a nice chunk of cashflow, and interest for them. Demand they repay your money immediately and close your account. Who the fvck needs paypal anyway? Use a credit card mate.
Thats what I am going to do now. They dont have any of my money. I only used them as a route to pay for ebay items. Its just convenient. Only money they ever held for me was when I got a refund for any purchase.

You're right fu** them. I will start using card from now on and close my account.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

brightonguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, Paypal and their stupid illogical policies! You can't even open a new account now because they don't allow duplicate accounts for the same person. I've been through that before when I was in the UK because I opened my account on a holiday when I was in Turkey and they decided to consider it a Turkish account even though the bank account was a UK one. They even held my 1,000 quid for 6 months in their account!!! I finally got my money back, will never do any business with them anymore.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Guess what. I wrote them a really nasty email full of swear words and asked them to close my account and shove their policy up where the sun dont shine. I got an email a day later saying senior management reviewed and decided to restore your account.

What a ****ing joke i swear. They are working Doha style.....
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AirBender
Guess what. I wrote them a really nasty email full of swear words and asked them to close my account and shove their policy up where the sun dont shine. I got an email a day later saying senior management reviewed and decided to restore your account.
Now empty the account and leave £0.01 in there or US$0.01 etc. It will cost them more to administer and keep your account open than the interest they earn. Cvnts.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 11:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mildredolson
Paypal is one of the well known payment gateway used for online payment. I am not very much familiar with this Paypal gateway because I am using<spam> which is secure, fast and reliable payment gateway that run your business with greater control over your funds.
I reckon I know who you work for...

Last edited by Bob; Oct 29th 2012 at 12:12 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 12:30 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I reckon I know who you work for...
Wonder how long he was hanging about to get that one in
Old Oct 30th 2012, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rowell
Wonder how long he was hanging about to get that one in
Please post who he worked for (or PM me) so I know never to use them