Reload this Page >

Passport issues in Dubai

Passport issues in Dubai

Old Mar 1st 2004, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

1962 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport issues in Dubai

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone would know if it is normal practice to hand your passport over to your employer/sponsor in return for a 'labor identity card'. I'm coming over to Dubai soon and I don't know if I like the idea of doing this. The passport is kept in a secure place, whenever you leave the country you hand your card in and get your passport back???!!!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:41 am

philipz is on a distinguished road

It has become a regular practise by employers to keep a worker's passport and us to keep the labor card, but this practise is not legally correct. But if your employers asks for your passport, say "Hell NO" and look at this gulf news article for more information why.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:55 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

I told my employer that it wasn't my property to give to them, it is the property of my embassy and that she was free to ask them if she could have it- that soon stopped her. I also said that I was not confident in the security she had in the office and that it was safer with me.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 9:32 pm

philipz is on a distinguished road

Nice approach Desert Dweller, that would be the easiest way to get them to decline.