Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Part Time work for House Husband

Part Time work for House Husband

Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

_jon_ will become famous soon enough_jon_ will become famous soon enough
Default Part Time work for House Husband

My wife is currently discussing a job offer that will see us living in Dubai.

At the moment we are being offered a Villa, car,annual flights home and 10K US$ for kids education.
Salary negotiation is ongoing but we are aiming for 30k a month on top of the package frills.

I would be a house husband as it stands, but can't see me coping with that for too long.

I do computer forensics, I had initial thoughts of doing a computer repair business from home.

Google hasn't offered much help as to whether this is possible.

If not, do many wifes/husbands get decent part-time work that fits in with being with the kids when school has finished.

Cheerz
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Part Time work for House Husband

Hi and welcome Jon,

I don't think a woman is able to sponsor a man here so you might want to check on that or just do visa runs.

Computer forensics- is that when you go to the death scene of a computer and work out which floor it has been thrown out of? oh I'm funny!
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

From Foreign Office website

Female Sponsor
In Abu Dhabi, a wife can only sponsor her husband and children if she holds a residence permit stating that she is an engineer, teacher, doctor, nurse or any other profession related to the medical sector and her salary is not less than AED10,000 or AED8000 plus accommodation. The same documents listed above will be required. In Dubai, if a woman is not employed in one of these categories she may still get approval to sponsor her family based on her salary being more than AED10,000 and with special permission from DNRD (Department of Naturalisation and Residency Department).
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I shall zip my mouth then
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Her job is Senior exec level in Medical Equipment company.

I examine the computers of paedophiles and murders.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

>>unzips mouth<<

That sounds interesting Jon, if somewhat unsettling I imagine

Part time work is a no no here (unless you know something I don't again) You could work as a consultant though if you register as freelance or take up golf and become a Jumeriah Jon.

>>zips mouth back up<<
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

We may have to negotiate an IT job with her company as well then.

The consulting thing is an option I suppose. If all else fails I'll can offer to volunteer with the Dubai Police...........
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The consulting thing is an option I suppose. If all else fails I'll can offer to volunteer with the Dubai Police...........

Disclaimer- no disrespect to the local police at all (big brother if you're reading)

Anyway, jobs are much easier to find once you are out here and do a bit of networking. I'm sure you'll find something once you've found your feet here
Old Oct 5th 2011, 12:09 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I sponsor my husbanD and am nothing to do with teaching, engineering or medecine.

My ex employers sorted it out. Two things: your wife will have to pay a 5,000 dhs bond to the ministry for your visa and you and the kids will be on a yearly renewable as opposed to a three yearly renewable. For me this means that whilst my visa is fine for two more years, my family's visas all run out this month. And I'm not allowed to sponsor them anymore. Therefore I would get it written into the contract that she can sponsor dependants for as long as she works there.

My husband was also a house husband - he was doing courses to pass time as he was on a career break. If you could get an embassy job the hours would fit in with school (almost). Otherwise you could work independently.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 12:47 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
I sponsor my husbanD and am nothing to do with teaching, engineering or medecine.

My ex employers sorted it out. Two things: your wife will have to pay a 5,000 dhs bond to the ministry for your visa and you and the kids will be on a yearly renewable as opposed to a three yearly renewable. For me this means that whilst my visa is fine for two more years, my family's visas all run out this month. And I'm not allowed to sponsor them anymore. Therefore I would get it written into the contract that she can sponsor dependants for as long as she works there.

My husband was also a house husband - he was doing courses to pass time as he was on a career break. If you could get an embassy job the hours would fit in with school (almost). Otherwise you could work independently.
Why are you not allowed to sponsor them any more?
Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Why are you not allowed to sponsor them any more?
perhaps its because its ex-employers and new employers will not pull the strings, most times you have to be one of the specified professions, teachers, lawyers, engineers etc to sponsor your husband but it does also depend on the company too.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 6:25 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

my company didn't pull strings - it's to do with your level, job title and, unsurprisingly, salary. I met quite a few women who also sponsored their husbands. They were not in the above criteria either. When I said my company sorted it I meant I left it to them to do.
The problem now is to do with being on a freelance visa - despite the fact that my actual visa is the same: same title, same bit of paper in the passport. All my male colleagues, no matter how junior, all had their families on three year renewables. So even though they are now freelance, it doesn't matter.

They promised that I could sponsor... Then while I was on holiday sent us all a message that they were mistaken and we now couldn't. However if your family still had visas they would honour them to the end date.
Fat lot of good etc
Old Oct 5th 2011, 10:13 pm