Reload this Page >

Omanisation and Spouse working

Omanisation and Spouse working

Old Jun 8th 2022, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Pepper01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Omanisation and Spouse working

Hi All,

I've been following the news regarding Omanisation and visas for some time now. We are contemplating a move to Oman as I have been in discussion about a potential job there for a few months, however opportunities for my wife are a source of concern. Ideally we would like for her to work, but I understand this is not always a given. The reasons for my posting is I have come across this news article: https://timesofoman.com/article/1174...heaper-in-oman
Having lived internationally for many years, I've seen news articles like this before. Its all good and well saying that fees have been lowered, but this doesn't actually translate into more visa's being issued as the Govt doesn't issue them, regardless of the fees charged.

Does anyone have any insights into how Omanisation is playing out in Oman currently, what's it like for a spouse to find and get work? Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old Jun 8th 2022, 10:22 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Omanisation and Spouse working

It might help others to reply if you could give some idea of in which sector your wife might wish to work.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks hnd .
She's been out of work for the past few years to raise our 2 children, but before that she was in generic office work, perhaps with a environmental focus. I guess I was asking more generally about the status of visas and how difficult they are to obtain given this article...
Old Jul 26th 2022, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Scottles45 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been living and working in Oman for three years now. I was issued a family visa based on my job, my wife is only allowed to work casually up to 16 hrs week on this visa. To work full time they would need to get a visa in their own right which would only be issued if she could get a job. I would have to say that unless your wife has a particular skill that is currently needed in Oman (teaching seems to be one of the main ones) then it would be very difficult to get a full visa as Omanisation here is pretty strict with expats completely barred from many professions
Old Jul 26th 2022, 8:05 am
Just Joined

@Scottles45, thankyou for this reply, very helpful to get an idea of what it's like in Oman.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Scottles45 is an unknown quantity at this point

No problem. If you want an insight on anything else let me know. We have been pretty happy here for the most part.
Old Aug 7th 2022, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

When you negotiate your package include her salary or have an enough of an uplift % to make it worthwhile, also negotiate school fees or a contribution