Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Oman ROP Traffic Office / Coronavirus...

Oman ROP Traffic Office / Coronavirus...

Old Mar 31st 2020, 11:26 am
Just Joined

pw93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oman ROP Traffic Office / Coronavirus...

(Sorry - a post about the C-Word we're all bored of)

Hello! I'm confident the answer is no, because nobody really knows what's going on right now, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway (and yes, I've tried to contact the ROP to ask them myself but nobody picks up the phone).

I'm a new expat here, got my Resident Card a couple of weeks ago just before everything shut down. Now I'm after a driving license (UK license so eligible for a simple exchange to an Omani one) but the traffic office that issues these is closed. This means, presumably, I can't buy a car, and am going to have to continue pissing money down the drain on a rental. Or can I? I don't know the process of buying a car here as I haven't done it but I understand it involves going to the ROP with the seller and the vehicle to complete the change of ownership paperwork. So that's no paperwork, and no driving license... I also know the Police have said that anybody who overstays their visa right now won't be penalised - but nobody's said anything about driving on a foreign license for longer than is technically permitted. I'd like to think that's okay as well, and therefore that buying a car now and doing the paperwork with the Police later would also be okay... But who knows!

Do you know? Maybe you can offer wise words of advice. Or maybe I'm pissing into the wind even asking

Thanks!
Old Apr 1st 2020, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oman ROP Traffic Office / Coronavirus...

Welcome to Muscat and the forum, well things are super chaotic right now, they are having road closures etc.....and Oman's had it first death from the virus yesterday. Your probably better off having a rental given the present situation, in case things go tits up and everyone has to pack our bags you can just return the rental car and head out. Remember its a crime to have unpaid loans and you can go to jail.

ER