Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

oman, doha or dubai- decisions???

oman, doha or dubai- decisions???

Old Mar 28th 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold
Default oman, doha or dubai- decisions???

....have googled (job interviews completed) so have some idea, but not sure how this fits with reality..... what do you guys think for:
1. living/ lifestyle
2. schools
3. safety
4. easiest to settle in
5. other
Old Mar 29th 2007, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: oman, doha or dubai- decisions???

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
....have googled (job interviews completed) so have some idea, but not sure how this fits with reality..... what do you guys think for:
1. living/ lifestyle
2. schools
3. safety
4. easiest to settle in
5. other

Dubai:
massively overpriced
false
full of arrogant wannabee's.
Nice food,
expensive everything
safe-as long as you NEVER enter any form of moving vehicle
schools- expect your kids never to even have heard of israel and make sure your company pays for the fees as it is a rip off.
Sports: good if you like golf

Cant really comment on others as i have only visited on business and holidays. but my opinion of Doha is it is like Dubai was 10 years ago and is now trying to hard to follow suit.

opinions are like a$@@holes we all have one, and that is mine.

good luck with your choice
Old Mar 29th 2007, 5:41 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
Dubai:
massively overpriced
false
full of arrogant wannabee's.
Nice food,
expensive everything
safe-as long as you NEVER enter any form of moving vehicle
schools- expect your kids never to even have heard of israel and make sure your company pays for the fees as it is a rip off.
Sports: good if you like golf

Cant really comment on others as i have only visited on business and holidays. but my opinion of Doha is it is like Dubai was 10 years ago and is now trying to hard to follow suit.

opinions are like a$@@holes we all have one, and that is mine.

good luck with your choice

all this just because you have to wear a bandana...

anyway...I don't agree with most of it....as you all know. Plus, life is what you make it, where ever you go...but that's an old song as well...do a search on this forum, its been talked about over and over again these last couple of months....and you'll never know untill you try it...
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

search = life in dubai.... with a few exceptions.
....someone must be living in oman or doha...anyone out theeeeer?!

ps. no time to try before i buy...get it wrong & big sh*t - don;t ya need employer to 'free' you again?!
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
all this just because you have to wear a bandana...

anyway...I don't agree with most of it....as you all know. Plus, life is what you make it, where ever you go...but that's an old song as well...do a search on this forum, its been talked about over and over again these last couple of months....and you'll never know untill you try it...

I agree with what you are saying. That was my opinion of the place, yet i still choose to stay here. It is too easy to see negative in everything i suppose!

The day the negatives outweight the positives which for me are pure and simply financial and nothing else, then ill move back to civilisation

until then............
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:50 am
W10

I think the acid test of a place always has to be.

If you were (as a Westerner) earning crap money would you stay...

If I could get a job in Muscat then I would be there in a heartbeat, love the place to bits. The total opposite to Dubai.

Old Mar 29th 2007, 12:25 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I think the acid test of a place always has to be.

If you were (as a Westerner) earning crap money would you stay...

If I could get a job in Muscat then I would be there in a heartbeat, love the place to bits. The total opposite to Dubai.
I hear that all the time, W10. There are a few people in our company who used to work there and they rave about it.

They say: "MUSCAT? IT'S ******G GREAT!" in a raving manner.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 12:31 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I hear that all the time, W10. There are a few people in our company who used to work there and they rave about it.

They say: "MUSCAT? IT'S ******G GREAT!" in a raving manner.
are you having a funny turn....
Old Mar 29th 2007, 12:46 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

are you having a funny turn....
I'm in the middle of a 70-odd year funny turn, pet.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 12:49 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I'm in the middle of a 70-odd year funny turn, pet.
that's good to know...keep them coming
Old Mar 29th 2007, 1:22 pm
Excess Baggage

that's good to know...keep them coming
If you insist.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

yeahhh- good feedback, thanks guys. it's nice to talk to people with the balls to tell it as it is.

dubai would seem the obvious and safest choice just because it gets splashed all over the papers.

i like the sound of oman more than dubai. i don't mind doha.=- like what i've seen on google video ( http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50694033482725) and qatar forum so far.

but oman seems to draw me- will have to try and get some contact there on the ground.

be happy.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:45 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

yeahhh- good feedback, thanks guys. it's nice to talk to people with the balls to tell it as it is.

dubai would seem the obvious and safest choice just because it gets splashed all over the papers.

i like the sound of oman more than dubai. i don't mind doha.=- like what i've seen on google video ( http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50694033482725) and qatar forum so far.

but oman seems to draw me- will have to try and get some contact there on the ground.

be happy.
muscat, beautiful slower pace, just starting to develop with the sale of properties etc.

Doha - not been in a while just a 'baby' version of Dubai

Dubai - great if you get the right package - which needs to be looked at in great detail before you sign anything. Everything very pricey. School fees just been capped at 16%!!!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

excellent, why, thank you. Hope it's muscat. Lets see how the offers play themselves out. 2nd choice will be doha, 3rd then is dubai.

thanks guys 'n gals.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
muscat.....just starting to develop

Doha - ..... 'baby' version of Dubai

Dubai - ....before you sign anything.....School fees just been capped at 16%!!!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

be happy.
My parent-in laws who have lived in Dubai for 3 years now, lived in Muscat before that for 10 years i think and totally loved it there. They say it was the exact opposite to dubai. Nicer people, a more relaxed atmosphere, just a better way of life. I think he was kind of gutted to be promoted and have to leave for Dubai

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.