Reload this Page >

Offshore bank account

Offshore bank account

Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

keithboyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offshore bank account

Hi

First time i am settling into my role in kuwait. I have recieved my salary and am trying to set up an bank account (offshore). I selected lloyds tsb in Jersey as they only require GBP2,500 to open an account - but after completing the form i have been told "Due to cross border restrictions we cannot open a new account for you as you are in Kuwait."

Is there a bank that i can open an account with over the internet and send them copies of my passport from kuwait and ideally with a low opening balance (in GBP) or do i have to open an account from the UK first ?

Thanks
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:21 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offshore bank account

Are there any international banks in Kuwait that can do that for you once you are a regular customer and or have a salary statement letter?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

There are only 3 international banks in Kuwait from my research - HSBC who require 60k GBP and Citi and BNP Paribas who don't do retail clients.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why offshore ? No need that I can see for this.

Try these guys

http://www.islamic-bank.com/

Last edited by scot47; Feb 27th 2013 at 4:28 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks scot47 but thats not what im looking for
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:15 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC don't require 60k at first. You can become Premier on your salary assuming you earn enough - and if you don't then you have no need for offshore, surely?
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:59 am
Just Joined

The Premier facility isnt available in Kuwait for some reason
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scot47
Why offshore ? No need that I can see for this.

Try these guys

http://www.islamic-bank.com/
Again why do you want to open a bank offshore - if you are non resident you can remit your salary to UK tax free. If you stick it into an offshore bank account and remit it to UK when you are resident then you will have tax problems. The main reason to have an offshore bank account is to receive interest tax free but the banks you are looking at pay crap interest !! And as Ms Sunshine says if you haven't got 60K then why bother.

Last edited by gottheTshirt; Feb 28th 2013 at 4:39 am.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:30 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I can't be bothered to retype the reasons why, so see this linke. One main reason for many - Sharia law...

http://www.souqalmal.com/blog/blog/t...ng-for-expats/
Old Feb 28th 2013, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Meow
I can't be bothered to retype the reasons why, so see this linke. One main reason for many - Sharia law...

http://www.souqalmal.com/blog/blog/t...ng-for-expats/
True
The main difference between offshore and regular in country bank accounts is in the way that tax is payable on interest earned and thus become rather more relevant for expatriates, who frequently enjoy tax benefits from living overseas. Interest is generally paid without the deduction of tax, which can make matters easier for people who are not subject to tax on their worldwide income, or it can allow for tax planning.

Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:24 am
Just Joined

I have my own reasons - and not returning back to the UK is one of the drivers, and to keep my money out of Kuwait (incase the worst happens) is another driver. I didnt think that opening an account would be this difficult !
Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:51 am
womble

(sheesh I'm hoping that isn't your real name, and you don't work for Crown Relocations - if you do, you might want to change your username...)

anyway - open a local account with HSBC, you can still do overseas transfers, and when you have saved enough, open an account with them in Jersey, and do transfers across, even if it is not Premier status.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

I guess i will have to wait until i pop back to UK and set something up. Thanks for your help. And no i am not Keith Boyd from Crown Relocations - I am Keith Boyd from a University in Kuwait.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

These problems for people trying to open banks account is only going to get harder. Following US sanctions, some banks are already refusing accounts from certain nationalities and that is likely to spread to certain local accounts, not just offshore ones.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:59 am
womble

Originally Posted by Meow
These problems for people trying to open banks account is only going to get harder. Following US sanctions, some banks are already refusing accounts from certain nationalities and that is likely to spread to certain local accounts, not just offshore ones.
that's HSBC doing that, and if they have Premier status then the bank funnily seems to think that they are ok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.