Offer shall i accept or not?

Offer shall i accept or not?

Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:06 am
Just Joined

nonono is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offer shall i accept or not?

Hello All,

What a great forum!!

Ok iam an engineer and i have been offered a package of basic salary 15,000 dir + 6,000 housing allowance in Abu Dhabi.

Now iam single and not really sure if this salary is any good or not? Do you think i can rent something with kind of money and if so how much will that cost me?

Do you think i would be able to save much from my salary because if not then i will not consider the move at all and just wait till something better comes up.

I really appreciate your comments and feedback as i have never been to Abu Dhabi and don't know how it would be to live there.

P.S. They mentioned the following "You will also be given 6
months housing allowance as advance to facilitate payment of rental." Can someone explain what it exactly means? Do that mean i get the cash for 6 months rental in advance which is 36,000 cash in hand?

Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offer shall i accept or not?

There are lots of posts and responses to those re offers to jobs.

72,000dhs won't get virtually anything other than a good apartment share, unless you can find a studio, which are apparently like dodo eggs.

As for the 15,000dhs a month. Its £2k, give or take.

Look at your life and your lifestyle. Thats what moving abroad is about while you are young. You won't save anything meaningful on that salary once you factor in a car and general living, but then would you be able to in the Uk?

Only you know how you live and how much money you spend..

The reason for 6 months accom allowance up front is because its how rent is paid here. Again, read previous threads and you will understand.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

rent is paid one year in advance, so if they are only giving you 6 months then you could be in a problem, some landlords will allow you to postdate a cheque so you pay for one year but in 2 installments, but they are arent that common. Housing here is a BIG problem, a lot of single people try to share accommodation, but unless its with the permission of the owner, its not allowed, and so you would need to find a 1 bed place which are very expensive looking at least 150k a year if you can find one. But not everyone comes over here to save money, some do come for a different culture and lifestyle.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:08 pm
Banned

zuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nice

Originally Posted by busybee2
rent is paid one year in advance, so if they are only giving you 6 months then you could be in a problem, some landlords will allow you to postdate a cheque so you pay for one year but in 2 installments, but they are arent that common. Housing here is a BIG problem, a lot of single people try to share accommodation, but unless its with the permission of the owner, its not allowed, and so you would need to find a 1 bed place which are very expensive looking at least 150k a year if you can find one. But not everyone comes over here to save money, some do come for a different culture and lifestyle.

Do you seriously think some people come here for the different culture and lifestyle rather than the money?

A number of western expats are only aware of one culture i.e. the one they came from. They have no understanding or appreciation for any other culture but thier own.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes they did in the past, before the uae became popular! the pay that we got way back wasnt very good, a little better than the uk, but that was because I had to give up my well paid job to look after my newborn son who was born with a lot of medical problems, and I got no help from the NHS etc so it made it a little easier coming here then. Obviously some things have changed and the money is better now, but not brilliant compared to some if you are in a different industry.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:25 pm
Banned

zuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nice

Originally Posted by busybee2
yes they did in the past, before the uae became popular! the pay that we got way back wasnt very good, a little better than the uk, but that was because I had to give up my well paid job to look after my newborn son who was born with a lot of medical problems, and I got no help from the NHS etc so it made it a little easier coming here then. Obviously some things have changed and the money is better now, but not brilliant compared to some if you are in a different industry.
Sorry about your son - I do appreciate you may have a willingness to empathise will another culture other than your own which is admirable.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thanks, but when we first moved to abu dhabi people didnt really know where it was apart from being the middle east, and we lived in shrewsbury close to the welsh border, and we told people that we had to get on a plane to come here, but they couldnt understand that you only need to catch the train to go to 'aberdovey' which is in north wales, so just up the road....!!!!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:57 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zuzu143
Do you seriously think some people come here for the different culture and lifestyle rather than the money?

A number of western expats are only aware of one culture i.e. the one they came from. They have no understanding or appreciation for any other culture but thier own.
I came here because my family are here and then I met my husband here and we had Rachel. I love the culture and have very fond memories of spending Eid with some rather important locals.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

macteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nice

Originally Posted by zuzu143

That's a bit of a generalisation don't you think??

Most of the 'western' world is filled with many different cultures. My 'home' country (Australian) is filled with the influences of so many different cultures, that you cannot say what an 'Aussie' typically looks like.

One example I love telling people about is when I was on a 3mnth exchange to Hawaii back in '99 and I went on a whale watching cruise with hostdad's work. When we first arrived at the docking area, the first thing one of hostdad's colleagues said was "so YOUR the Aussie? I was expecting someone blue eyed with blonde hair" (I'm half Balinese, so am a little bronzer than the average Aussie and with dark hair) to which I replied "well, that's my best friend (the description), but she's actually half Italian".

In this day and age, to suggest that a lot of westerners are uncultured, is a little unfair methinks....
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

My one word answer is...nonono
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by macteepee
That's a bit of a generalisation don't you think??

Most of the 'western' world is filled with many different cultures. My 'home' country (Australian) is filled with the influences of so many different cultures, that you cannot say what an 'Aussie' typically looks like.

One example I love telling people about is when I was on a 3mnth exchange to Hawaii back in '99 and I went on a whale watching cruise with hostdad's work. When we first arrived at the docking area, the first thing one of hostdad's colleagues said was "so YOUR the Aussie? I was expecting someone blue eyed with blonde hair" (I'm half Balinese, so am a little bronzer than the average Aussie and with dark hair) to which I replied "well, that's my best friend (the description), but she's actually half Italian".

In this day and age, to suggest that a lot of westerners are uncultured, is a little unfair methinks....
Um with regards to the British I dont think its a generalisation as one Australian told me not so long ago - Australians in Dubai adjust more easily compared to the British who still carry thier colonial baggage.

Aboriginies are not Australian are they now?
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

This offer seems very low - I would not accept it unless you are desperate!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

well it seems like it quite low like al you guys say ...

so you think i can not save with this kind of moneyy??

By the way i only have 4 years experience so not sure of this still suits or not!

thank you guys..please feedback me as i still cant make up my mind
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by nonono
Hello All,

What a great forum!!

Ok iam an engineer and i have been offered a package of basic salary 15,000 dir + 6,000 housing allowance in Abu Dhabi.

Now iam single and not really sure if this salary is any good or not? Do you think i can rent something with kind of money and if so how much will that cost me?

Do you think i would be able to save much from my salary because if not then i will not consider the move at all and just wait till something better comes up.

I really appreciate your comments and feedback as i have never been to Abu Dhabi and don't know how it would be to live there.

I think you should seriously consider the job but try to further negotiate the salary and package.

P.S. They mentioned the following "You will also be given 6
months housing allowance as advance to facilitate payment of rental." Can someone explain what it exactly means? Do that mean i get the cash for 6 months rental in advance which is 36,000 cash in hand?

Thanks
Hi

15,000 AED equates to just over £2000 - In the UK you would need to hit a gross salary of just over £33,000.

You would be able to rent a room on 6,000 AED which would be preferable rather than being alone due to your age and the fact you will be coming here alone.

You have 4 years professional experience - I would think its a good start if you take into consideration your age and experience. Even if you stick it out for a year it would look good on your CV.

If you really want to save money you can - it all depends on your life style and allowances the company will give you.

Please state your complete package - are you getting car allowance, flights etc?

Last edited by zuzu143; Jun 1st 2008 at 11:08 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:39 am
Just Joined

heey zuzu

yes this 15,000 includes the car allowance and utlities which is 1,000 so base is 14k.

It does not seem to be much at all i know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.