Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Offer- Saudi Arabia, Riyadh

Offer- Saudi Arabia, Riyadh

Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

rdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nice
Default Offer- Saudi Arabia, Riyadh

Hi
Fin serv co in riyadh has contacted me and enquired on salary-the initial proposal their hr put fwd was 8kUSD(SR360k) as a base salary and they wanted to know if negotiable. This excl bonus(3x monthly) and accomodation (25% so 90k SR), flights, med aid, car allow.
I have 2 kids aged 8 +4, so a 3 bed villa would be min I guess.
Can anyone advise if this is a decent offer?
I have 9 yrs exp in fin serv with a bachelors in accounting and CFA.
thanks
R

PS- I am fully aware of the disliking of KSA fm certain members, but can those based in Riyadh advise?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:57 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offer- Saudi Arabia, Riyadh

Originally Posted by rdan0209
Hi
Fin serv co in riyadh has contacted me and enquired on salary-the initial proposal their hr put fwd was 8kUSD(SR360k) as a base salary and they wanted to know if negotiable. This excl bonus(3x monthly) and accomodation (25% so 90k SR), flights, med aid, car allow.
thanks
R

PS- I am fully aware of the disliking of KSA fm certain members, but can those based in Riyadh advise?
Yup, I work in Riyadh every couple of weeks...but then im one of "those" members

I dont know anyone else who works there on a semi-regular basis, apart from Northern Lad, but then his views are similar to mine.

I must say though, its pretty blinkered to exclude opinions you dont like, just because it doesnt fit.

Feel free to search for Riyadh or Saudi on this forum...im bored of hating and im not going to type it out again.

Actually sod it, you have got as far as an offer so you a clearly going to go..let me give you some advice.

Riyadh is great, as a capital city it is no different to any other, vibrant, buzzing with lots of things to see and do.

Being such a multicultural country, Locals are keen to welcome foreign nationals to learn about different cultures and belief systems.

Best thing to do, wander around the old part of town after Friday prayers (chop-chop square is ideal).
Identify yourself as an american by wearing a NY or Lakers style baseball cap, stars and stripes shirt, and brightly patterned shorts.
Also sandals with white socks are a must this season.

Or if you are british, anything with a union jack on it.

This will identify you to the locals as a worldly traveller, and pretty soon they will be eager to hear your stories.

Saudi's love kids, in fact last month they even went so far as to seperate the women and children from a group of french tourists and only shot the men.!!...ahh..the religion of peace..!

In all seriousness i work out there for all fin/srv (SABB,Riyadh Bank,Tadawul,Saudi Hollandi, Etc Etc)
They are all the same, and working environment is similar in all of them (although SABB/HSBC/Saudi British Bank is the best IMHO)

Let me know via pm and i will put you in touch with people.
Rgds
JD
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:36 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
thanks
R

I would never consider it, but with 2 kids? You must be mad.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

monies great, being dead isn't, having kids should change your risk assessment versus gains...there offering you a lot for a reason after all...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
monies great, being dead isn't, having kids should change your risk assessment versus gains...there offering you a lot for a reason after all...
I would rather try Iraq ......................
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I would rather try Iraq ......................

been there in 03. Boy that was fun. Was more frightened of the Yanks than the Iraqi's to be honest

not all its cracked up to be.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:41 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
been there in 03. Boy that was fun. Was more frightened of the Yanks than the Iraqi's to be honest

not all its cracked up to be.
well who wouldn't be they are all idiots!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

well who wouldn't be they are all idiots!

usually i would make a comment about your generalising and stereotyping, but with the shermans IMHO your assessment is spot on.

Only the americans could shoot down a Tornado, mistaking it for an Iraqi jet!! (when the Iraqi's did not at the time have ANY militarty air capability)

too many Arnie movies

anyway, we have drifted off topic!!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:31 am
Concierge

usually i would make a comment about your generalising and stereotyping, but with the shermans IMHO your assessment is spot on.

Only the americans could shoot down a Tornado, mistaking it for an Iraqi jet!! (when the Iraqi's did not at the time have ANY militarty air capability)

too many Arnie movies

anyway, we have drifted off topic!!
back on topic - working in saudi - not for us!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:34 am
Just Joined

MzAngel is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband spent 17 yrs in Saudi, his father was working there so he grew up there. Now that were moving to Dubai, i brought up Saudi in conversation and judging by his reaction (lots of $#%$^^## not on ur life ur must be joking) i would say no, Saudi is not the country for u or ur kids.

Cheers

Angel
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

back on topic - working in saudi - not for us!
agreed
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:27 pm
Concierge

agreed
so are you going then Rtdan?? I note your American, not really a wise move if I am honest with you. Even this most tolerant and Western placesn (Dubai) in the Middle East the Americans left after 9/11.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

rdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nice

Still early in negotiations.
What gave you the idea I am American?
Lol,,,not close. I am South African actually. Also, am muslim so it is not so much a culture shock and easier to understand.
Ironically, most SA enjoy staying Saudi(check out the forum www.sainsaudi.co.za).
Thanks for the advice though-one can never be to safe no matter where in the world you are. For me, experiencing the culture etc is an added incentive as opposed to a detraction(if you're used to partying, wine, etc guess you'll see this as a drawback).
What would be interesting is whether any of you would consider coming to South Africa
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:17 pm
Concierge

Still early in negotiations.
What gave you the idea I am American?
Lol,,,not close. I am South African actually. Also, am muslim so it is not so much a culture shock and easier to understand.
Ironically, most SA enjoy staying Saudi(check out the forum www.sainsaudi.co.za).
Thanks for the advice though-one can never be to safe no matter where in the world you are. For me, experiencing the culture etc is an added incentive as opposed to a detraction(if you're used to partying, wine, etc guess you'll see this as a drawback).
What would be interesting is whether any of you would consider coming to South Africa
sorry , misread our location. Done SA went there as a kid, great place. Still don't think Saudi is good option.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:13 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice though-one can never be to safe no matter where in the world you are
Better to be safe than Saudi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.