Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Novel Coronavirus HCoV-EMC

Novel Coronavirus HCoV-EMC

Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Novel Coronavirus HCoV-EMC

Worldcue® Alert
Severity: Informational Alert

Health: Authorities Increasing Global Surveillance for Novel Coronavirus Infections

The locations affected by this alert are:

Germany
Pakistan
Jordan
Qatar
United Arab Emirates
Saudi Arabia
United Kingdom

This alert began 27 Mar 2013 21:45 GMT and is scheduled to expire 30 Apr 2013 23:59 GMT.

Summary
International authorities continue to report sporadic cases of the novel coronavirus, HCoV-EMC. Although the majority of cases have been linked to the Middle East - especially Saudi Arabia - some cases have occurred or have been treated in Europe.

To date, authorities have confirmed 17 HCoV-EMC cases and 11 related deaths.

Novel Coronavirus HCoV-EMC-capture.pngBackground

The novel HCoV-EMC virus is related to but distinct from the coronavirus responsible for the 2002-2003 SARS outbreaks. These two pathogens cause different pathologies and appear to be transmitted differently. Although the earliest known HCoV-EMC cases occurred in Jordan in April 2012, most infections have occurred in Saudi Arabia since September.

Officials have closely monitored all close contacts of known HCoV-EMC cases since the virus was first discovered; because instances of secondary infections have been so rare, officials maintain that the risk of person-to-person HCoV-EMC transmission is very low. Researchers continue to search for a definitive source of infection, and authorities have issued recommendations on what pneumonia patients should be tested for HCoV-EMC. As authorities improve surveillance and reporting of HCoV-EMC cases, experts anticipate an increasing number of confirmed infections - including infections confirmed in an increasing number of countries. This would not necessarily indicate increasing transmission, but could reflect a more accurate understanding of HCoV-EMC prevalence in the environment.

Advice
Because of the extreme rarity of known HCoV-EMC infections and the lack of definite sources of infection, health officials can only emphasize the need for general health precautions to prevent infection. Individuals - especially residents of or travelers to the Middle East - should maintain strict hand and respiratory hygiene, should avoid obviously ill individuals, and may consider avoiding large crowds. Individuals seeking medical attention for pneumonia should inform their healthcare provider of any travel history. Individuals should ensure they are up-to-date on all recommended vaccinations, because HCoV-EMC coinfections have occurred alongside other pathogens, and such coinfections may exacerbate HCoV-EMC illness.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:16 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novel Coronavirus HCoV-EMC

The CDC have a dedicated page for this new corona virus. So far it's limited in transmission to people within the same households or close contact but it could well be one a threat.

The real worry here is that should this or any other nasty virus become a real problem then cases will be hidden, mis reported, unreported and generally lied about until its too late. Most western governments and developed nations share information a out these things openly and freely to help combat them. Not something that comes naturally to the powers that be in the region.

One of the viral nightmare scenarios is a nasty bug in Saudi during Haj. Not nasty enough to kill during Haj but nasty enough to be spread around the world by millions of pilgrims.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:17 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I should add that so far it seems all the fatalities have been in people with existing respiratory problems
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:19 am
**** it we'll do it live

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/...abia-qatar.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/ncv/case-def.html
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
I should add that so far it seems all the fatalities have been in people with existing respiratory problems
also - it doesn't seem very infectious.

edit - I'm not scaremongering here - I get these alerts most days.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:29 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Millhouse
also - it doesn't seem very infectious.

edit - I'm not scaremongering here - I get these alerts most days.
No so far it's transmission is vey limited and there are hundreds of these alerts each year. This one however is being seen as having some potential to become nasty. Potential only mind, so kcco
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No so far it's transmission is vey limited and there are hundreds of these alerts each year. This one however is being seen as having some potential to become nasty. Potential only mind, so kcco
of course, the UAE infection and subsequent death has not been reported as far as I can see... confirming your first statement.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:45 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Millhouse
of course, the UAE infection and subsequent death has not been reported as far as I can see... confirming your first statement.
what statement, i made no statement, you are mistaken my fiend.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

what statement, i made no statement, you are mistaken my fiend.
I can down with red spots over my body after eating out and have had a runny nose since. Anything to worry about?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:38 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Beakersful
I can down with red spots over my body after eating out and have had a runny nose since. Anything to worry about?
Yup you're ****ed
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:38 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

oh, that's ok then let's kill off all those pesky asthmatics then
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:16 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
oh, that's ok then let's kill off all those pesky asthmatics then
Not really but the natural progression of things is the sick frail elderly and young followed by the fit and healthy. Once a virus hits the last group it's truly ****ing dangerous to humanity
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:24 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Not really but the natural progression of things is the sick frail elderly and young followed by the fit and healthy. Once a virus hits the last group it's truly ****ing dangerous to humanity
My left knee is screwed, where do I fit in. Somewhere after the sick, frail and old?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
My left knee is screwed, where do I fit in. Somewhere after the sick, frail and old?
The halt and the lame...
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get hangovers any more. Is that a danger sign ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.