Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Not another "is this enough" thread

Not another "is this enough" thread

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not another "is this enough" thread

Hi guys i promise it wont be as above

Ive used the tools on here and guides to work out what i would like but to be honest i have no idea what i might be offered

So i work in the Oil & Gas industry as a service supervisor

My current total wage inc bonus,high risk is $106k.

I would be expecting more to relocate though

Also a lot of the stuff on here relates to the construction/health/travel industry how is it for the O&G boys? Are they treated reasonably well by there employers when it comes to packages,Accom,Car allowance?

Bear in mind im rotating out of Basra at the moment so living on the moon would sound like a good idea at this point in time

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not another "is this enough" thread

A service supervisor supervising what?

Office or field based?

Years of experience?

Have a look on sites like RigZone and OilandGasJobSearch for comparable benefits
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
A service supervisor supervising what?

Office or field based?

Years of experience?

Have a look on sites like RigZone and OilandGasJobSearch for comparable benefits
Its field and office based.

6+ years experience

Thru-tubing tools
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

About 8 months ago a former colleague of mine joined the SL product line of one of the major US oilfield service co's in a similar position - TTSS. He has about the same level of experience that you have.

I don't know what base salary he's on, but he needs to do at least 14 rig days a month to break even with what he was making before at our company doing purely an office job. I also know that he gets a housing allowance of around 200,000 Dhs (which has to cover everything) plus a car allowance of I don't know what.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 2:13 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Easy way to work it out

If you're on $100k before tax
Add 50% ($150k)
Is the offer that or better (all in, including housing etc.).
If it is, take it, if it's not renegotiate.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 2:33 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Easy way to work it out

Add 50% ($150k)
That's great as a principle for negotiation, but do you actually know anyone who got this as their first package since 2008?

I certainly did not achieve that target however I was quite well paid back in the UK. Once you're on the ground it's pretty simple to find out what you're worth in the market. I know what I'm worth, but I'm quite happy to trade some money for a good working environment and general happiness.

Last edited by norsk; Jul 22nd 2012 at 2:36 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 2:40 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanC
Hi guys i promise it wont be as above

Ive used the tools on here and guides to work out what i would like but to be honest i have no idea what i might be offered

So i work in the Oil & Gas industry as a service supervisor

My current total wage inc bonus,high risk is $106k.

I would be expecting more to relocate though

Also a lot of the stuff on here relates to the construction/health/travel industry how is it for the O&G boys? Are they treated reasonably well by there employers when it comes to packages,Accom,Car allowance?

Bear in mind im rotating out of Basra at the moment so living on the moon would sound like a good idea at this point in time

Thanks in advance
Ignoring the fact that you think it is only "boys" that do O&G .... for 6 yrs experience, 40.000 AED per year is a reasonable base salary in the industry right now. You may or may not get a performance related bonus (depending on the type of job) at the end of each year. You won't get a car allowance with most companies, but you may get use of a company car for work reasons only. You will get insurance & healthcare & accommodation, but it will depend on your marital & family status
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

bunjiman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Ignoring the fact that you think it is only "boys" that do O&G .... for 6 yrs experience, 40.000 AED per year is a reasonable base salary in the industry right now. You may or may not get a performance related bonus (depending on the type of job) at the end of each year. You won't get a car allowance with most companies, but you may get use of a company car for work reasons only. You will get insurance & healthcare & accommodation, but it will depend on your marital & family status
I think I have become delusional.

I read the title as, 'Not another "this is enough" thread'.

Edit: Also I assume you mean 40k per month?

Last edited by bunjiman; Jul 22nd 2012 at 3:48 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kix
Easy way to work it out

Add 50% ($150k)
Is that an easy guide to it in Doha?

I know its not going to be that high

Its more the housing allowance side of things im asking about

Would say 8000 QAR be a low/normal/high offer of housing allowance in the O&G section?

Also sorry about before i know there are boys and "girls" in the industry.

As above though do you mean 40K

Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Maybe I'm missing your point, but you yourself mentioned that you are earning your current salary in Basra (Iraq) at the moment... surely the implication is that you'd work for LESS if you were living somewhere more stable than that (Qatar, UAE etc)?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes more than likely i would move for less

The point is though i should be receiving an offer next week and i was wondering if anyone on here with a similar background might be able to give me a ballpark figure

For example the offer im given might seem great to me. But i wouldnt want to get out there knowing i could of negotiated for a lot more. Especially housing allowance and things

Was just looking for an idea thats all
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I do get your point. I really made my previous comment as someone earlier simply advised you to take your current salary and add 50%. Whilst that formula is often recommended on this board for people relocating from Europe, for instance, I'm not sure that that is realistic if you are coming from Basra. If you used that equation you might price yourself out of the market over here.

What you need is someone to tell you what your experience & qualifications might currently get you in this region (sorry, I can't help you there), rather than doing a simple "add-50%" sum.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by archie159
Yes, I do get your point. I really made my previous comment as someone earlier simply advised you to take your current salary and add 50%. Whilst that formula is often recommended on this board for people relocating from Europe, for instance, I'm not sure that that is realistic if you are coming from Basra. If you used that equation you might price yourself out of the market over here.

What you need is someone to tell you what your experience & qualifications might currently get you in this region (sorry, I can't help you there), rather than doing a simple "add-50%" sum.
Yeah thats exactly what im after. Sorry about that must of been a bit of an understanding. I reacon we are on the same page now though as i know that adding the 50% thing on just wouldnt be the case.

Thanks for the info anyway
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:15 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
. You won't get a car allowance with most companies, but you may get use of a company car for work reasons only.s
Really? I've worked for 3 Oil and Gas companies here and for 2 I was provded with a leased 4x4 and for 1 I was given a car allowance..

In my experience, its standard to get a vehicle or allowance in the package.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:18 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you would be better off (Purely in a life/work balance) as Norsk points out if you had the same salary in Doha as Basra? I know where I would rather be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.