British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Non resident UK Income Tax while working in the KSA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/non-resident-uk-income-tax-while-working-ksa-675501/)

Ric010 Jul 6th 2010 8:28 pm

Non resident UK Income Tax while working in the KSA

Hi,

Recently I accepted a post at a new uni in Jeddah with a view to starting in aug or early sept.

I understand that in order to be exempt from UK tax you have to be non resident for one full tax year.

So does that mean if I leave in aug or september and return say after april 2012, I will be expempt from any tax?

Thanks,
Ric0

coffindodger Jul 7th 2010 5:08 am

Re: Non resident UK Income Tax while working in the KSA

Dont forget to fill in the paperwork a F85 Before you leave the UK.

Fugative Jul 7th 2010 5:12 am

Hi Tax year starts in April to April if you leave country just before or around April then thats a full year. If you leave in may or later it only counts from april the following year providing you complete the full year. You are allowed upto 90 days ( I think ) per year on visits to uk.

And you are supposed to be out of Uk for 3 year period now to qualify. But check with an accountant & I think there is a lady on here called Meow.

As per coffindodger F 85, You can download from HMRC site. They currently advise delay of 2months.

Hope it helps

kittycat1 Jul 8th 2010 4:20 am

And you are supposed to be out of Uk for 3 year period now to qualify.
Really? I hadn't heard this.. is this right?

csdf Jul 8th 2010 4:38 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8685381)
Really? I hadn't heard this.. is this right?

I don't think so. HMRC's faq still says 1 year:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/faqs_general.htm#3nr
and they are incredibly quick to update their webpages when things change.

prwatts Jul 9th 2010 7:36 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 8685408)
I don't think so. HMRC's faq still says 1 year:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/faqs_general.htm#3nr
and they are incredibly quick to update their webpages when things change.

I have been in KSA 6 weeks. Before I left I phoned HMRC and spoke with a very nice boyo and then filled in the F85 and posted it off. It is one full tax year - by May 2010 you can breath easily. And if you quit and come home early they don't pounce on you - they allow you to wait and do your returns at the end of the year. Nick'n dave in their quest for money may change that but for now, we are very lucky in the UK.

BTW don't forget the NI too.

Peter

Meow Jul 10th 2010 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Fugative (Post 8682934)
Hi Tax year starts in April to April if you leave country just before or around April then thats a full year. If you leave in may or later it only counts from april the following year providing you complete the full year. You are allowed upto 90 days ( I think ) per year on visits to uk.

And you are supposed to be out of Uk for 3 year period now to qualify. But check with an accountant & I think there is a lady on here called Meow.

As per coffindodger F 85, You can download from HMRC site. They currently advise delay of 2months.

Hope it helps

No you do not have to be out of the UK for three years to become non-resident for income tax.

The treatment of partial years depends on a number of factors including total time non-resident and HMRC concessions.

The form from HMRC is a P85 - that's to request non-resident status.

-

coffindodger Jul 10th 2010 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8691331)
No you do not have to be out of the UK for three years to become non-resident for income tax.

The treatment of partial years depends on a number of factors including total time non-resident and HMRC concessions.

The form from HMRC is a P85 - that's to request non-resident status.

-

Well i was nearly right , at least i had the numbers right ha ha :p:p

gottheTshirt Jul 10th 2010 2:16 pm

The answer is YES providing you have a contract of employment and the period of that contract includes a complete tax year (April to April) then the whole period is tax free. Also providing that you fill in the forms and you do not spend more than 90 days/year in the UK.

Meow Jul 11th 2010 5:57 am

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt (Post 8691628)
The answer is YES providing you have a contract of employment and the period of that contract includes a complete tax year (April to April) then the whole period is tax free. Also providing that you fill in the forms and you do not spend more than 90 days/year in the UK.

Partial years are not guaranteed exempt from UK income tax.

-