Reload this Page >

Non resident UK Income Tax while working in the KSA

Non resident UK Income Tax while working in the KSA

Old Jul 6th 2010, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Ric010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non resident UK Income Tax while working in the KSA

Hi,

Recently I accepted a post at a new uni in Jeddah with a view to starting in aug or early sept.

I understand that in order to be exempt from UK tax you have to be non resident for one full tax year.

So does that mean if I leave in aug or september and return say after april 2012, I will be expempt from any tax?

Thanks,
Ric0

Last edited by Ric010; Jul 6th 2010 at 8:29 pm. Reason: mistake
Old Jul 7th 2010, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non resident UK Income Tax while working in the KSA

Dont forget to fill in the paperwork a F85 Before you leave the UK.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Fugative is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tax year starts in April to April if you leave country just before or around April then thats a full year. If you leave in may or later it only counts from april the following year providing you complete the full year. You are allowed upto 90 days ( I think ) per year on visits to uk.

And you are supposed to be out of Uk for 3 year period now to qualify. But check with an accountant & I think there is a lady on here called Meow.

As per coffindodger F 85, You can download from HMRC site. They currently advise delay of 2months.

Hope it helps
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

And you are supposed to be out of Uk for 3 year period now to qualify.
Really? I hadn't heard this.. is this right?
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Really? I hadn't heard this.. is this right?
I don't think so. HMRC's faq still says 1 year:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/faqs_general.htm#3nr
and they are incredibly quick to update their webpages when things change.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

Originally Posted by csdf
I don't think so. HMRC's faq still says 1 year:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/faqs_general.htm#3nr
and they are incredibly quick to update their webpages when things change.
I have been in KSA 6 weeks. Before I left I phoned HMRC and spoke with a very nice boyo and then filled in the F85 and posted it off. It is one full tax year - by May 2010 you can breath easily. And if you quit and come home early they don't pounce on you - they allow you to wait and do your returns at the end of the year. Nick'n dave in their quest for money may change that but for now, we are very lucky in the UK.

BTW don't forget the NI too.

Peter
Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:12 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fugative
Hi Tax year starts in April to April if you leave country just before or around April then thats a full year. If you leave in may or later it only counts from april the following year providing you complete the full year. You are allowed upto 90 days ( I think ) per year on visits to uk.

And you are supposed to be out of Uk for 3 year period now to qualify. But check with an accountant & I think there is a lady on here called Meow.

As per coffindodger F 85, You can download from HMRC site. They currently advise delay of 2months.

Hope it helps

No you do not have to be out of the UK for three years to become non-resident for income tax.

The treatment of partial years depends on a number of factors including total time non-resident and HMRC concessions.

The form from HMRC is a P85 - that's to request non-resident status.

-
Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
No you do not have to be out of the UK for three years to become non-resident for income tax.

The treatment of partial years depends on a number of factors including total time non-resident and HMRC concessions.

The form from HMRC is a P85 - that's to request non-resident status.

-
Well i was nearly right , at least i had the numbers right ha ha
Old Jul 10th 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

The answer is YES providing you have a contract of employment and the period of that contract includes a complete tax year (April to April) then the whole period is tax free. Also providing that you fill in the forms and you do not spend more than 90 days/year in the UK.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
The answer is YES providing you have a contract of employment and the period of that contract includes a complete tax year (April to April) then the whole period is tax free. Also providing that you fill in the forms and you do not spend more than 90 days/year in the UK.
Partial years are not guaranteed exempt from UK income tax.

-