Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

non resident landlord scheme, rental income taxation help

non resident landlord scheme, rental income taxation help

Old Mar 12th 2013, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: non resident landlord scheme, rental income taxation help

I understood that council tax was only deductible when paid by the landlord when the property is empty. Otherwise the tenant is liable for payment of the council tax ?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/nrl1.pdf
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:09 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
That's just the form. The full guidance is here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/nr-landlords.htm

Oh look, there I go being helpful again
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:11 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
That's just the form. The full guidance is here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/nr-landlords.htm

Meow, I think you are a great help and offer good advice on here but why let yourself down with petty Sarcasm. You are better than that............

This is what rubs people up the wrong way.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
I understood that council tax was only deductible when paid by the landlord when the property is empty. Otherwise the tenant is liable for payment of the council tax ?
landlord will only have to pay council tax when property empty for a certain number of months - can't remember exactly how many
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:23 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Meow, I think you are a great help and offer good advice on here but why let yourself down with petty Sarcasm. You are better than that............

I hadn't realised that you only your domain.

Carry on if you like...
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

The form is what is relevant to the OP question. It exempts the agent/tenant from deduction of income tax from the rent. This answers the question that the OP asked.

The OP needs to complete this form he does not need to read the full NRL guidance which is all to do with the procedures for the tenant deducting tax and for payment to HMRC etc.

Council tax is only a deductible expense if the property is empty and is ready for renting. Otherwise we would all be claiming back tax on tax.

My advice is simply based on what my tax accountant tells me to do in similar situations and which I believe are specifically relevant to the questions asked.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76

Rates, utilities and council tax are only deductible under certain circumstances, i.e. where the property is empty or shared lets. Normally (i.e. in 99% of leases) the tenant is responsible for such costs and so are not deductible.

There is also the useful 10% wear and tear allowance (i.e. 10% of the gross rental income). Other allowances include property management fees, letting agents fees, insurance fees.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hong_konger
Rates, utilities and council tax are only deductible under certain circumstances, i.e. where the property is empty or shared lets. Normally (i.e. in 99% of leases) the tenant is responsible for such costs and so are not deductible.

There is also the useful 10% wear and tear allowance (i.e. 10% of the gross rental income). Other allowances include property management fees, letting agents fees, insurance fees.
And cleaning
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

mrblast is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mean can rental income be part of your personal allowance? If so, yes. Rental income is UK income, but the gross amount can be reduced by both mortgage interest payments and some other costs.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/nr-landlords.htm

You know where I am if you want anything else
Thanks to Meow and others for the assistance. The interest on my apartment is quite high so the I should fall easily within the personal allowance.

Best get completing the form!.

B