Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

No Rent Cap for Dubai in 2009

No Rent Cap for Dubai in 2009

Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default No Rent Cap for Dubai in 2009

Chief Executive of RERA, has said it, so it is now open season on rent..
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10274811.html

So the 'rent committee' now serves no purpose whatsoever and landlords can officially charge what they like.

While the market is on the way down, will landlords see it that way?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

jebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud of
Default Re: No Rent Cap for Dubai in 2009

Glad I already completed the renewal of my lease which was due the end of this month!

Was surprised that The Gardens hadnt increased my rent this year - maybe this is what they were waiting for...
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:28 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

"We don't need a rent cap this year. We need to freeze everything. 2009 is a tough year and we shouldn't interfere with rents too much," Bin Galita said.

People will be rejoicing thinkin their rents won't be going up?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

its about to be a torrid time for all of us renewing rents in the next year I think..
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
"We don't need a rent cap this year. We need to freeze everything. 2009 is a tough year and we shouldn't interfere with rents too much," Bin Galita said.

People will be rejoicing thinkin their rents won't be going up?
yep, typically 'carefully chosen words'.
You just know that the landlords are gonna try for one big last hit off the rents.

And for those that have been in property before 2006, well rent for them could double..
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:40 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
You just know that the landlords are gonna try for one big last hit off the rents.

And for those that have been in property before 2006, well rent for them could double..
some Landlords are wising up and can see what the future holds. Some are just driven by greed. We have signed our lease with a 5% increase for 2009, we are happy with it as we are well below market prices.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:43 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

we are going into the 5th year in our house now, just done the renewal and it was only 5%...
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MataHari
we are going into the 5th year in our house now, just done the renewal and it was only 5%...
all the 5% renewals up to this point are because that was what everyone was expecting as a rent cap and what was still in place.

From now, it will be interesting to see what rises the landlords are going for - in thoery, some should be coming down, but that is never going to happen while they have an exisiting tenant.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:49 am
Concierge

all the 5% renewals up to this point are because that was what everyone was expecting as a rent cap and what was still in place.

From now, it will be interesting to see what rises the landlords are going for - in thoery, some should be coming down, but that is never going to happen while they have an exisiting tenant.
your right if your in a villa, but take an apartment building for example. I think we have about 90 apartments in this building, if say half of them were empty then I would imagine my Landlord would be happy to take 90k rather than nothing?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
your right if your in a villa, but take an apartment building for example. I think we have about 90 apartments in this building, if say half of them were empty then I would imagine my Landlord would be happy to take 90k rather than nothing?
common sense would say that is right, but when did this place ever adhere to that?

..are half of your apartments empty?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:00 am
Concierge

common sense would say that is right, but when did this place ever adhere to that?

..are half of your apartments empty?
I don't think so but they may well be later in the year, for the first time ever there is a To Let sign outside. I asked the watchman how much they were leasing for - 140 for a 2 bed. I laughed at him and told they would be lucky to get a 100. He agreed.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:17 am