Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The No Doom & Gloom In The Middle East Thread - So who is doing just fine, thank you

The No Doom & Gloom In The Middle East Thread - So who is doing just fine, thank you

Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default The No Doom & Gloom In The Middle East Thread - So who is doing just fine, thank you

For every cloud there is a silver lining - and not just for insolvency practitioners and debt collectors..

who of you in la la land is yet to feel or witness even the slightest pinch of a recession..
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:39 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The No Doom & Gloom In The Middle East Thread - So who is doing just fine, thank

Originally Posted by admon
For every cloud there is a silver lining - and not just for insolvency practitioners and debt collectors..

who of you in la la land is yet to feel or witness even the slightest pinch of a recession..
hmmmm... not sure if i should answer this b/c it might jinx it!

so far, the magic kingdom is not showing any overt signs of the global economic crisis, however that doesn't mean it's not here, and with tight media regulation (coupled together with a certain amount of ego), i don't think it is likely to bubble to the surface until the sh*t really is splattering all over the place.

note: the law of probable distribution - no matter what substance hits the fan, it will not distribute evenly
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all
Default Re: The No Doom & Gloom In The Middle East Thread - So who is doing just fine, thank

Isn't this a bit of a 'ner ner ner-ner ner' to all those who are having problems at the mo?
(But yes, all hunky-dory thank you - apart from when we use our credit card - 4.9dhs to the pound - yikes.)
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:11 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

What recession? Did you not read the papers last week, there isn't one, oh and I see the UK confirmed they are in recession on Monday, but in answer to your question yes I am affected
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Tansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to all

thats the end of that thread then........
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

manwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nice

everything is just peachy thankyou a new opportunity presents itself everyday
not so for a number of friends though one couple has had the double wammy, he was in real estate & she in recruitment!
rather be here than over there (uk) or even that place there (oz).
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:16 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

i'm alright jack, but everything is ****ed and if it goes tits up for me personally then hey ho onto something else
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

From a business viewpoint, its the busiest we've been for at least three years. From a personal viewpoint, I'm f**ked as I'm paid in Sterling. Time to tighten the belt on personal expenditure in country...
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:14 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Same as above
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

From a business viewpoint, its the busiest we've been for at least three years.
My other half's company has just had the best year EVER, yet they're still being told 'no unnecessary travel, pay rises to be kept below 5%' etc etc. There's still this perception of 'times are hard' even if the evidence is to the contrary. This attitude then causes such a ripple effect that times DO become hard....it's really pissing me off.....
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

it's really pissing me off.....
ooops, sorry, this is supposed to be the no doom or gloom (or being pissed off?) thread....
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:23 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
My other half's company has just had the best year EVER, yet they're still being told 'no unnecessary travel, pay rises to be kept below 5%' etc etc. There's still this perception of 'times are hard' even if the evidence is to the contrary. This attitude then causes such a ripple effect that times DO become hard....it's really pissing me off.....
Our company is in a similar situation, like it or not times are hard and things will get tougher...this sort of behaviour seems sensible to me.

I'd rather cut back on travel and miss out on a bumper payrise in order to have a job at the end of the year.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

I'd rather cut back on travel and miss out on a bumper payrise in order to have a job at the end of the year.
Of course, if the company's going through hard times, but as I just said, they've never had it so good!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:32 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Of course, if the company's going through hard times, but as I just said, they've never had it so good!
I'm talking about looking at the bigger picture. I think we're only just getting started with the downturn.

Unless they are in the debt collection business I'd say being prudent is a good thing at the moment.

IBM is a good example - good results just announced but also redundancies, they are bracing themselves for bad times.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Well I'm no economist but....no wonder everywhere's in recession when everyone is thinking themselves into hard times.
"Yes we're doing just fine thanks but we'll cut back on staff/computers/flights etc etc anyway...." then the airlines go bust and computer companies lose out etc etc and the ripple effect continues.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.