Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Newspapers in Dubai

Newspapers in Dubai

Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Dubaian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newspapers in Dubai

Hi, I'm new here and to Dubai too. Can anyone tell me which British newspapers are available here and where I can get them from, or better still subscribe to? Does anyone get an English newspaper delivered to their home every morning?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:25 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newspapers in Dubai

Originally Posted by Dubaian
Hi, I'm new here and to Dubai too. Can anyone tell me which British newspapers are available here and where I can get them from, or better still subscribe to? Does anyone get an English newspaper delivered to their home every morning?

Thanks in advance
Not sure about subscribing, but you can of course read what you want to on the internet. Other than that most hotels have them as well as supermarkets but why on earth do you want to read an english newspaper every day?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rowell, appreciate that - although I'm a bit old-fashioned and tend to like reading my newspaper in the morning with my cuppa at home, as opposed to using the internet - just doesn't quite feel right!!

Cheers
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

The Times delivers.......whether it gets to you in time for breakfast is another matter.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:50 am
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of

You can get "The Times" and the "Financial Times" delivered every morning - same version as is published in the UK (more or less). You actually get it earlier here than you would in the UK as they edit it there then due to the wonders of technology print it here.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
Not sure about subscribing, but you can of course read what you want to on the internet. Other than that most hotels have them as well as supermarkets but why on earth do you want to read an english newspaper every day?
an englishman!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

crw1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

I get my Times every morning before 7am. The Gulf News used to arrive at around 5am. You can also subscribe to the Weekly Expat Daily Telegraph too. The only problem with that is the rather erratic postal service in Dubai!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 1:57 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

When I lived in Dubai there was a great service I subscribed to where I received a copy of the day's newspaper (choice of many of the main UK newspapers) delivered to my place of work (or home) by 0900.

I can't remember the name of the service but it really was efficient.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

nck136 is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it easier reading it online

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
When I lived in Dubai there was a great service I subscribed to where I received a copy of the day's newspaper (choice of many of the main UK newspapers) delivered to my place of work (or home) by 0900.

Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Hi all, thanks for your help and input. With rather perfect timing, I went to the Laughter Factory last week and was delighted to see The Times & The Sunday Times were sponsoring. Spoke to one of their salespeople there and I got an annual subscription to get the newspapers delivered to my door.

It's an excellent service, I get it every morning before 7am and it's the same day's newspaper and not a day late or anything. I also got a free Fitness First membership with the subscription as well as an extra 2 months free! They were also offering free tickets to the Dubai Rugby Sevens

Happy days

p.s. they can be contacted through www.thetimesme.com or on 800-THE TIMES which is how I called them to activate the delivery. Good luck!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

grapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tooterelli

You mean http://www.todaily.com/ ?

They have newspapers from all over the world. I tried to get their free copy offer once but it never arrived.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:44 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaian
Hi all, thanks for your help and input. With rather perfect timing, I went to the Laughter Factory last week and was delighted to see The Times & The Sunday Times were sponsoring. Spoke to one of their salespeople there and I got an annual subscription to get the newspapers delivered to my door.

It's an excellent service, I get it every morning before 7am and it's the same day's newspaper and not a day late or anything. I also got a free Fitness First membership with the subscription as well as an extra 2 months free! They were also offering free tickets to the Dubai Rugby Sevens

Happy days

p.s. they can be contacted through www.thetimesme.com or on 800-THE TIMES which is how I called them to activate the delivery. Good luck!
excellent! how much though?

\edited to add 2100 dhs a year, I will just read it on line
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
excellent! how much though?

\edited to add 2100 dhs a year, I will just read it on line
Hi Blue Cat, indeed I paid the AED 2,100 package - but I got an extra 2 months free (total 14 months) which is basically AED 150 a month for both The Times and The Sunday Times every day of the week at my home first thing in the morning. Using an exchange rate of 6 (approx average), it's 25 pounds a month which I believe is cheaper than the price back in the UK!

Plus I got a free Fitness First membership which saved me AED 1,200. I see your point about reading it online, however when I get up in the morning I don't really the time (nor the inclination) to fire up the laptop and search online etc. Far easier to sit on the balcony, cup of PG Tips in hand, and the morning's Times in front of me!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:15 pm
Banned

Such_A_Dummy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I smell the aroma of recently cooked spam?
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:32 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Such_A_Dummy
I think I smell the aroma of recently cooked spam?
nah I think he is genuine, leave him be he is loaded