Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

News Flash - Abu Dhabi Accomodation Shortage

News Flash - Abu Dhabi Accomodation Shortage

Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of
Default News Flash - Abu Dhabi Accomodation Shortage

Saw this in gulf news today:-

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Housi.../10166961.html

The best bit - Property consultant and director of Global Hills, Diana Stebbins, says, "The solution will be found in 2009 when people can buy and move into accommodation."

Obviously not learnt from Dubai then....
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:04 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News Flash - Abu Dhabi Accomodation Shortage

Originally Posted by andrewpops
Saw this in gulf news today:-

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Housi.../10166961.html

The best bit - Property consultant and director of Global Hills, Diana Stebbins, says, "The solution will be found in 2009 when people can buy and move into accommodation."

Obviously not learnt from Dubai then....
They have learnt something from Dubai...create big demand and increase the rents so people are paying more than GBP 800 a month just for a room - with an attached bathroom if they are lucky.

The landlords are the winners everytime...and by 2009 the supply will probably only barely keep up with demand.

N.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I will be one of those landlords. *smug face*

I have been saying for the past 6 months, that if you want to buy in order to make money, then Abu Dhabi is the place right now.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:01 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
and by 2009 the supply will probably only barely keep up with demand
That rather presupposes that companies are going to keep ratcheting up salaries and perks to keep Western expats (the only people who can afford to pay those prices) coming here. I don't think they will. The UAE's supposed to be a cheap place for companies to do business, after all.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:52 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
That rather presupposes that companies are going to keep ratcheting up salaries and perks to keep Western expats (the only people who can afford to pay those prices) coming here. I don't think they will. The UAE's supposed to be a cheap place for companies to do business, after all.
Many western expats are also struggling to pay rents now. Yesterday I was shocked to hear a friend is sharing a three bedroom apartment at the Marina which costs them all AED180,000.

Twenty three thousand pounds for three rooms and they have to pay one check in advance. I don't recall London being this expensive unless you want to live someone VERY nice....(and the Marina isn't so great really let's be honest).

Companies are looking seriously at Doha and Bahrain for the simple reason that they are now paying middle management employees the same housing allowance they paid their directors four years ago. The UAE (well Dubai) is no longer cheap, it's just cheaper in some places for some people.

N.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

niddy is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: News Flash - Abu Dhabi Accomodation Shortage

Meow. I just got here last week and would like to look into buying something because I will likely be here for some time. Do you have any advice because I am assuming you have done your research and have settled on a place. Please, if you or anyone else can, e-mail me at [email protected]. Cheers!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 6:15 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Many western expats are also struggling to pay rents now
That's what I don't understand about all the predictions - generally only from property owners, it has to be said - that rents and property values can only continue to rise.

Rents can only rise if tenants can afford to pay. Put plainly, how *are* tenants going to afford to pay? Do the property owners predict massive salary hikes all round in order to allow rents to rise significantly beyond their current levels? If that's what they're assuming will happen, I'd have to conclude that they're living on a different planet.

I'd say that rents are pretty much at their ceiling for a great many western expats - either the straightforward ceiling of affordability, or the ceiling at which they decide it's not worth their while staying should they rise any further.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

You're a mod?? God help us all..
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:40 am
Soupy twist

Correction - God help you.

Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

LOL congratulations - hope you have been bribed with some dubai property in exchange - fair is fair
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expat.brat
You're a mod?? God help us all..

What!!! We're screwed...Royalement, if I might add...