Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Newbie with tons of ?'s

Newbie with tons of ?'s

Old Aug 30th 2005, 3:38 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie with tons of ?'s

Don't I always S?
Originally Posted by Happiness
If your paying...cheers
Old Aug 30th 2005, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trapt777
Thanks Anya, I will PM you. I have been reading up on RAK and it doesn't seem like it is for us. Nice place to get away for the weekends into the mountains and all but otherwise it seems real quiet, not much of a social scene and hear people stare at western women all day! However very cheap. With the new road it seems travel into Dubai is around an hour. So you could spend 2 hours travelling a day if you got a job there. Not much diffferent from London. I haven't totally said no to it but it does seem more of a no than a yes
Yes, RAK is v v quiet and dull. But then again it really depends on what your priorities are . I know many expats live there just to save money. You could live there initially, save up for a down payment/deposit, get settled at work, and then buy your dream home.

When we first came to Dubai (we've been expats for a long time, were in HK and NY before this) our first priority was to save money, but not scrimp. After living in HK, the apartment sizes here seemed huge - that helped us, because we moved into a very nice luxury apartment (about 1500 sq feet), - we didn't go rushing to live in a villa in Jumeirah .

Saving has now become a habit, because although our incomes have increased, our lifestyle remains the same - no extravagance.

Trapt, you may have to make some sacrifices initially - In an ideal Dubai, you would earn lots, spend lots and save lots - those times are gone .

Anya
Old Aug 30th 2005, 3:35 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MJC
Don't I always S?
I dont know do you?
Old Aug 30th 2005, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Trapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to allTrapt777 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Yes, RAK is v v quiet and dull. But then again it really depends on what your priorities are . I know many expats live there just to save money. You could live there initially, save up for a down payment/deposit, get settled at work, and then buy your dream home.

When we first came to Dubai (we've been expats for a long time, were in HK and NY before this) our first priority was to save money, but not scrimp. After living in HK, the apartment sizes here seemed huge - that helped us, because we moved into a very nice luxury apartment (about 1500 sq feet), - we didn't go rushing to live in a villa in Jumeirah .

Saving has now become a habit, because although our incomes have increased, our lifestyle remains the same - no extravagance.

Trapt, you may have to make some sacrifices initially - In an ideal Dubai, you would earn lots, spend lots and save lots - those times are gone .

Anya
I am keeping this thread going and not PMing you about this as I think other members would find this useful too... so I will contine...

Do you live in RAK now? What you have suggested does seem like a very good idea. I mean RAK does not seem ghastly or anything and an hour into Dubai is ok too. Saving for a couple of years and then going for a nice place somewhere. I have to re work this one. How do you go about finding an apartment there as I googled it up but everywhere seems to talk about Dubai.

And what do you do for work?
Old Aug 30th 2005, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trapt777
I am keeping this thread going and not PMing you about this as I think other members would find this useful too... so I will contine...

Do you live in RAK now? What you have suggested does seem like a very good idea. I mean RAK does not seem ghastly or anything and an hour into Dubai is ok too. Saving for a couple of years and then going for a nice place somewhere. I have to re work this one. How do you go about finding an apartment there as I googled it up but everywhere seems to talk about Dubai.

And what do you do for work?

Hi !
Sent your fiance a PM - please ask him to send me his resume. Don't lose heart because Banks are hiring in a big way. Islamic Banks prefer UAE / GCC nationals.

No, I live in Dubai. RAK is dull - but you'll be in Dubai for a good part of the day - just look at it as temporary. Besides, both of you will be busy in your careers.

Normally, through Gulf news - tell me what you're requirements are...will keep an eye out for you

I am a boring banker

Anya

Last edited by IndieG; Aug 30th 2005 at 4:36 pm.