Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New SZR road signs confusing?

New SZR road signs confusing?

Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:49 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default New SZR road signs confusing?

When travelling on SZR towards Dubai, I used to follow the exit signs to Al Safa and Al Wasl to get to LLoyds TSB Bank opposite Safa Park. But, I have noticed that the road signs have been changed to the actual name of the road - "Al Hadiqa St."

Similarly, when heading to SZR from the Burj Al Arab 7-star hotel, instead of signs to Abu Dhabi and Dubai, which were easy to understand, the two joining roads both say "Sheikh Zayed Road" and don't even differentiate between SZR (North) and SZR (South).

It must be confusing for newcomers who now have to know in which direction they are travelling (N, E, S or W) and learn and familiarise themselves with the names of roads rather than destination place names.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:07 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New SZR road signs confusing?

What worries me even more is the long term stability of the Floating Bridge across the Creek. Was it originally designed to hold the weight of several thousand stationery vehicles bumper-to-bumper for hours on end? When crossing the bridge involved a quick 5 minute drive across, I felt safe. Not any longer as the introduction of the salik toll on Makthoum Bridge means that the floating alternative is now gridlogged in the morning and afternoon, probably aggravated by the nonsensical sequencing of the traffic lights at either end. Meanwhile I continue to get this sinking feeling...
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Wow you can follow the Dubai road signs..... ive never mastered that yet! Im constantly lost - other than the route from home to work.... Oh and i can get to Ibn battuta mall... tried emirates mall, couldnt work out how to get into car park... gave up tried to get back on SZR found myself heading toward Emirates Road.....

yep i aint good!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:29 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
What worries me even more is the long term stability of the Floating Bridge across the Creek. Was it originally designed to hold the weight of several thousand stationery vehicles bumper-to-bumper for hours on end? When crossing the bridge involved a quick 5 minute drive across, I felt safe. Not any longer as the introduction of the salik toll on Makthoum Bridge means that the floating alternative is now gridlogged in the morning and afternoon, probably aggravated by the nonsensical sequencing of the traffic lights at either end. Meanwhile I continue to get this sinking feeling...
I thought the Floating Bridge was a temporary measure.

I'm in the Dubai Marina Yacht Club and at least we have two openings to the sea. However, I feel sorry for boat users the Dubai Creek Yacht Club as they can only access the sea after 10 pm and night and before 6 am, owing to the barrier created by the Floating Bridge.