Reload this Page >

New to Jeddah soon!!

New to Jeddah soon!!

Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:17 am
Just Joined

spain1122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to Jeddah soon!!

Hi there,

I'm new to this blog. I'll be relocating to Jeddah in July with my family. I'm still dealing with packing and shipping arrangements.

I've read a lot of forums. And afraid that my shipping items will be either damaged or missing. I even bought a huge metal box to store my home appliances. Could anyone please share your shipping experiences? And how to prevent all the hassles?

I also heard that shopping is an ace in Jeddah, still some of the expats regret not bring some more books or CDs? Besides these what else should bring more? Any suggestions?

What do all the staying home wife and toddlers do in Jeddah???

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions. Thank you all

Good day.

Ceries
Old Jul 1st 2011, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Yolande-SA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to Jeddah soon!!

Hi there
My husband starts his job in Jeddah 1 August and we will follow once the family visa can be sorted out. Please let me know once you are there...I am not sure what to bring with. We will not take any furniture...it will stay here in South Africa

Have you found a compound. My husbands company will help us to find a place to stay. Hubby had a look at Sierra Village when he was there and liked it a lot.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Hi There,

Thanks for your msg, I'm happy finally somone reply. I'm busy this morning, I'll get back to you a bit later.

cheers good day

Ceries

Originally Posted by Yolande-SA
Hi there
My husband starts his job in Jeddah 1 August and we will follow once the family visa can be sorted out. Please let me know once you are there...I am not sure what to bring with. We will not take any furniture...it will stay here in South Africa

Have you found a compound. My husbands company will help us to find a place to stay. Hubby had a look at Sierra Village when he was there and liked it a lot.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 6:23 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

If you will get a furnished housing in compound then you need only minor things: dish and summer clothers (not sure about items for toddlers, it is not our case).
Unless you have some very specific requirements, e.g. golden candelabra, mounain bike or violoncello, all other stuff can fit to your luggage (you may ask your employer for the air tickets with additional piece of baggage allowance) or buying here will be cheaper and less headashing than the shipment.
English books (not sure about spanish) and different music CD/ movies DVD are also widely available.

Hassles are the mandatory part of life-style here...

Good for ladies (and their husbands of course) is that the statmenet "I don't have a thing to wear" is not valid here. Abaya can be weared even on pyjamas.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi northbadawi and spain1122

We are planning to only bring summer clothing....doubt if we will ever need our winter jersey's in Jeddah..
My son is planning to bring a few of his stuff...Xbox and games and some toys.
I have so many hobbies here in South Africa but will not be able to bring the stuff that I need. I am sure I will be able to find craft shops in Jeddah.

Looking forward to speak again...and good luck with all the packing and planning. Please stay in touch...I will only be in Jeddah closer to the end of the year, but hubby will be there soon.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Good for ladies (and their husbands of course) is that the statmenet "I don't have a thing to wear" is not valid here. Abaya can be weared even on pyjamas.[/QUOTE]

I am planning to wear as little as possible under that abaya when I go out...in that heat...lol
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 6:53 pm
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

In Jeddah you certainly don't need anything warm, but if you will go to the excursions (here are a lot of nice places to see) then you certainly need a set of warmer clothes because temperatures in desert or mountains in winter season can be below +10"C in the night.
Summer clothes in soaks are very cheap here, western brands and winter stuff widely available in malls - not so, and the most of them are "imitations".
Can not say anything about xbox and crafts, never interested.
Note that ACs in offices, malls and restaurants are freezing, so take care of temperature differences: 35-40 outside and ~18 inside.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Hi there,
Sorry not to response sooner. I was rather busy during last week.
For shipping, we will leave all the furniture in France. Just clothing, a lot of French books, games for my some small home appliances and some kitchen utensils. I was preciously in Saudi(not in Jeddah) for 8 months two years ago. Probably things changes with times.

How about you?Please google some information about the shipping custom regulation, there are some items which is forbidden to bring into the country.

For our lodging, we're lucky as you. My husband is settling down in “Arabian Home” compound which is an arrangement by the company, too. Still we're waiting our Iqamar to be delivered, and not sure when we will be there. Will you be in Jeddah soon?

Keep in touch.

Ceries.
Hi there

Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Mariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really nice

Hi northbadawi and spain1122

We are planning to only bring summer clothing....doubt if we will ever need our winter jersey's in Jeddah..
My son is planning to bring a few of his stuff...Xbox and games and some toys.
I have so many hobbies here in South Africa but will not be able to bring the stuff that I need. I am sure I will be able to find craft shops in Jeddah.

Looking forward to speak again...and good luck with all the packing and planning. Please stay in touch...I will only be in Jeddah closer to the end of the year, but hubby will be there soon.
not alot of craft shops in Jeddah and depends eactly on what kind of crafting you do. so get some supplies with you to last till you can find yr way around the shops and find what you like.