Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New to here, new to the ME

New to here, new to the ME

Old Aug 7th 2007, 9:28 pm
Camel Spotting

Bubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud of
Default New to here, new to the ME

Hi,

Like Stuabroad, (I think I know who that is too), I have just got a job in Kuwait, (Yes, its Alghanim). Couple of questions really, as the wife and daughter will be following, whats the dress code for women out there? Can she get Eastenders? Is it worth joining a beach club? wheres a good area to live?
Old Aug 8th 2007, 3:12 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New to here, new to the ME

It is such a small place that you'll quickly find out where to go. It does depend on your allowance. A highly annoying feature of the Kuwait Housing market is that going through an estate agency means you have to pay them a months rent for doing bugger all, a concept I'm sure you are familiar with if you come from the UK.

Some points:

you will be picked up from the airport by Anura - he is your best friend - respect him and bung him occasionally and you will get a long way quickly.

do not expect to get settled for about three months - things take a long time.

not all houses have land line. To get a land line is a pain and can cost you a 700pound (yes700) deposit. Internet access is a factor.

Eastenders is illegal in Kuwait and even thinking about it is punishable by death. It is also not possible to give advice on housing to someone whose wife (you know blame her - you have never watched it) enjoys it.

Salmya is in the heart of it but noisy. Salwa, Rumaithiya and Jabriya are quiet - all facilities but not at the centre of things. Beware it takes 2.5 months for a driving license so be near to a shop. South Sura is up and coming and the cost saving is worth thinking about. Best to cruise and look for 'For Rent' signs and just go in on spec - that is common. I did it and got a good flat and did not have to pay an estate agent.

Get your driving license attested by the Kuwait Embassy in London if you can easily. It will save you hassle here. Ditto marriage cert.

Strongly recommend filling in R85 form for the inland revenue - this reduces an important and unexpected tax risk - do not assume that you are exempt from UK tax whilst earning abroad - you have to 'avoid' (a legal version of 'evade') it. The R85 does help - as does not going 'home' too often.

Winter is cold. But you come from Ipswich ...

You can get everything here except booze (and possibly marmite) so don't get hung up about precious stuff.

Have faith that the company will look after you but can't do instantaneous.

Have you had your stuff attested / legalised yet - do you need practical advice?

Bring as much sterling as you can - the exchange rates etc...

Your stuff - all of it-will all be x-rayed as you come off the plane - don't even think about it!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 3:23 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Oh yes - bring 30 pp photos each - makes life a bit easier.

White background and 8 blue background for driving license.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bubbauk
Can she get Eastenders?
if not then www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/episodes gives a good summary (8 paragraphs per episode)

Reading it every lunchtime has VERY quickly convinced me that I shouldn't even watch it at all when i'm at home for the holidays next week.

I mean seriously, two 'Mitchell sisters' that just appear from nowhere? Haven't we done the whole teenage girl being hit on by older armed robber cos it's cool thing many, many times before? Oh and I hear we're getting another brown family. After the last two disasters of brown people this is going to be fantastic. They couldn't even bother casting a 'new' fact - we have instead Nina Wadia who has only one expression and used it to death on GGM. The Stella beating Ben storyline was just about going somewhere when she jumped off the bridge. Didn't Minty use to be a thug? how did he quickly get so touchy feely? ditto Billy. Who is Jase? What happened to the Polish builder storyline? Do the Poles really have such little taste that they come to London to sh@g ageing sl@ppers like Shirley?
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:08 am
Banned

Look, the plots may be idiotic but that is the beauty of being the worlds most popular TV programme - it is not the artistic merit, it is the appeal. Just analyse big brother - a near cause of divorce in my household. The content is just neolithic in terms of sophistication but the appeal is bordering on universal. Eastenders - crap - just have a cultural revolution, isolate all who enjoy eastenders and send them to Kuwait, sorry, I mean exile.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:41 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dago

Strongly recommend filling in R85 form for the inland revenue - this reduces an important and unexpected tax risk - do not assume that you are exempt from UK tax whilst earning abroad - you have to 'avoid' (a legal version of 'evade') it. The R85 does help - as does not going 'home' too often.

Becoming UK non-resident for tax purposes is a little more complicated than completing HMRC form R85. Depends on how long you have been out of the UK in this tax year, amongst other matters. Just filling in this form doesn't do it!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:04 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

showtime advertise that they cover Kuwait?
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Raaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really nice

Hi,
I m new to this forum, but old for dubai, living n workin here in Dubai from last so many years.

and here to make some gud friends for njoying my life and the weekends.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Meow
Becoming UK non-resident for tax purposes is a little more complicated than completing HMRC form R85. Depends on how long you have been out of the UK in this tax year, amongst other matters. Just filling in this form doesn't do it!
Agreed Meow, but not filling it in is fatal if you wish to even attempt to claim tax exile for the first and arguably last tax year of your absence from the UK. The tax liability for the entire first and last tax year exists irrespective of the period of absence and the strategy to use is to attempt proof that you are intending to be away effectively permanently. Interestingly the tax law in this area arose in respect of the Rolling Stones who used to take advantage of an absence concession to get tax free income when touring!

Standards of proof that you intend to be away are in the public domain and include:

contract of employment - or series of these with reasonable gaps
Employer non-resident for tax
paying tax elsewhere
change of residence
change of domicile (almost impossible)
adoption of nationality
payment outside of UK
R85
Infrequent visits to the UK for routine personal purposes

This has become exacerbated recently because of the situation of UK residents with offshore accounts and the declaration amnesty not being taken seriously. This is affecting genuine ex-pats and the latent threats will crystalise.

A danger with R85 is that it is used as a mechanism to disconnect you from services such as the NHS - which you are not entitled to as a non - resident - and so you have to compensate for this by Class 1 contributions initially and then voluntary class 3 contributions to NI. The very fact of the R85 declaration together with intention to remain away is the standard strategy for avoiding tax in the first year - but it needs to be backed by all of the proof that you will have. The Revenue are very assertive because there is no unfairness in persuing a case and the man in the Clapham omnibus will not support you. Realistically the risk of final year is negligable.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, dear. I know.

I get paid to advise people on these matters....
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, dear. I know.

I get paid to advise people on these matters....
just a tad condisending Meow, if you asked me how to change a light bulb, i wouldnt come back with a yes dear, i know, i design electrical power plants on supercarriers
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:14 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
just a tad condisending Meow, if you asked me how to change a light bulb, i wouldnt come back with a yes dear, i know, i design electrical power plants on supercarriers
I didn't ask the question. I gave a brief answer & in return was given non-residency lesson 101.

And I know how to change a lightbulb, thanks. :-)
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't ask the question. I gave a brief answer & in return was given non-residency lesson 101.

And I know how to change a lightbulb, thanks. :-)
well done you, and you advise folk how to hide their cash, is there no end to your talents?
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:18 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
well done you, and you advise folk how to hide their cash, is there no end to your talents?

Lovely line in sarcasm today. Did you get out of bed the wrong side?
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:19 am
Bored liberal

Actually I don't advise people how to 'hide' their cash. That would be silly, wouldn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.