Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New form of torture in the UAE

New form of torture in the UAE

Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:53 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy New form of torture in the UAE

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you IKEA.

I had the misfortune to spend 5 hours there yesterday.

Good God, I thought it was bad in the UK, but the one at Festival City is incredible. It probably has it's own life-forms, including Sniglar, Norden and Blimp.

Yes, it's cheap, and yes they deliver, but surely they should be laws against this kind of thing. I was constantly looking for ways to buck the system and walk where the arrows didn't want me to go.

I would say never again, but I have to go back for more tat for the house. And then I have to brave Carrefour for the white goods.

WOE IS ME!
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 6:19 am
W10

Default Re: New form of torture in the UAE

Everyone (including me) makes the mistake of going to Ikea first.

Look in Karama and zaabel (sic)

Old Aug 23rd 2006, 8:18 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Five hours!! Then again I think Carrefour is worse, it's manic at weekends and in the evenings, best to go at 10am on a weekday if you want to stay sane!!
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 8:49 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I did go to Karama but couldn't find any furniture places. Anyway, I ended up with a nice fake Rolex for 170 dirhams, so it wasn't a complete waste...

Anyway, what's worse than IKEA? Dysentry! And I've got it! Woo-hoo!
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 11:22 am
W10

You're just trying to prove you went to Karama

Seriously - its the other side of Karama. If you ask for Karama post office, there are literally dozens of furniture stores in that area.

Or you can go to pinky's in Sharjah and get solid oak furniture made for a fraction of that cost.

Old Aug 23rd 2006, 3:16 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

You could try Home Centre, 2XL, Homes R Us, or Pan Emirates Furniture as well
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 5:36 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81

Hmmmmmmmmm only if you want real cheap crap worse still than ikea
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:49 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Didnt realise that people your age still throw their toys out of the pram. Oh well....
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:18 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt realise that people your age still throw their toys out of the pram. Oh well....

PSML
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:32 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it that when people do not agree with your opinions, of which you seem to have many you have to retort with silly immature phrases. I know you are only just emerging from childhood but really I do think its time to grow up
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:33 pm
Its all good

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
PSML

And maybe you should get tested for dyslexia
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:37 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
And maybe you should get tested for dyslexia

I think not... It was a deliberate mistake.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:39 pm
Its all good

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
I think not... It was a deliberate mistake.

Really, why Must be that uk weather getting to you
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:39 pm
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few of our bits are from Home Centre and they are still going strong and seem pretty well made, plus IKEA furniture is only as good as the person assembling it! Afterall there is enough expense setting up here as it is.

To be honest we didn't want to spend lots of money on really expensive furniture, we would rather save and if we want a particular/usual piece then we could get it.

Marina Trading has lovely furniture, they have stores at the Madinat, MoE and their flagship store just of SZR junction 4 in Al Quoz.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Really, why Must be that uk weather getting to you

Not at all.... I knew someone would make a comment, namely you because you cannot help yourself!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.