Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New Driving Licence Laws

New Driving Licence Laws

Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Driving Licence Laws

So they are banning everyone from getting a driving licence unless you are in a professional occupation and/or have a university degree, which rules me out. So far this strange regulation only applies to Sharjah but I guess the entire UAE will soon follow. Driving the populace on to the buses, presumably.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Driving Licence Laws

Originally Posted by Shadya
So they are banning everyone from getting a driving licence unless you are in a professional occupation and/or have a university degree, which rules me out. So far this strange regulation only applies to Sharjah but I guess the entire UAE will soon follow. Driving the populace on to the buses, presumably.
So, what about cabbies? Are they gonna have to be graduates?
Old Dec 1st 2008, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning on marketing those 50cc donkeys that don't require licenses...The Toronado SN21 will be on sale in Q2 2009...

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi
So, what about cabbies? Are they gonna have to be graduates?
It's better for everyone...Wouldn't people want to at least interact with cabbies and also the cabbies would know all about the town and the culture of the country...Think of the endless possibilities...
Plus, the boys at Damac, Omniyat, Nakheel, Emaar, etc, all need well paying jobs that is in line with their ambition...
Old Dec 1st 2008, 6:51 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
I'm planning on marketing those 50cc donkeys that don't require licenses...The Toronado SN21 will be on sale in Q2 2009...

It's better for everyone...Wouldn't people want to at least interact with cabbies and also the cabbies would know all about the town and the culture of the country...Think of the endless possibilities...
Plus, the boys at Damac, Omniyat, Nakheel, Emaar, etc, all need well paying jobs that is in line with their ambition...
http://archive.gulfnews.com/nation/T.../10263687.html

Seriously though, I don't get how this is going to help......
Unless it is more of an employment policy than traffic policy.
I don't really want to think its just another kick in the ribs for those who need it least.......
Old Dec 1st 2008, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
http://archive.gulfnews.com/nation/T.../10263687.html

Seriously though, I don't get how this is going to help......
Unless it is more of an employment policy than traffic policy.
I don't really want to think its just another kick in the ribs for those who need it least.......
When did anyone say that the laws here were fair anyway...
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:28 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

When did anyone say that the laws here were fair anyway...

No one did and I for sure don't believe that however what I mean is
it ain't like maids have two maseratis and gardners have a fleet of shelbys
How can it help reduce number of cars on the road?
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
No one did and I for sure don't believe that however what I mean is
it ain't like maids have two maseratis and gardners have a fleet of shelbys
How can it help reduce number of cars on the road?
Only way to reduce cars is to reduce the hoards of new people coming in...
Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:05 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Only way to reduce cars is to reduce the hoards of new people coming in...
The group of workers they are hitting are lower income therefore not all out buying cars.It'll take say 4 times as long to reduce number of cars by penalising that group as opposed to say expat schoolrunmoms or professionals who can afford two or three trophy cars.............

Musicman, your reference to 'reduce the hoards of people coming in '. Who will then do these jobs?
I ponder whether this is in part about Employment; about finding jobs for the not so wealthy, not so skilled Emiratis.
M.O to reduce stigma attached to such roles: make it more difficult for the subcontinentals who traditionally fill these jobs to get to
work,work shift patterns, have transport to get tools on site i.e gardners.Gradually fill the gap with Nationals.
Maybe I am just being sillier than usual.

**I cannot understand why Nurses are included in this group???

Last edited by Eva; Dec 1st 2008 at 8:32 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 5:45 am
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't most nurses. hotel employees and most construction workers get free buses to/from work anyway? The new law will basically stop them having a social life outside work, which may be the intention. The law will hit the many thousands of office workers who don't usually get free transport. Mind you alot of them are car pooling these days. Taxi drivers are presumably exempt so long as "driver" is their designated employment on their labour card.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 5:52 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

only applies to those residing in Sharjah, and if your spouse drives then so can you. Weird but true.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

I assume that this applies to:

- those from the 'non visa on arrival countries'
- and only new arrivals, or that means revoking the license of 1000's..
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 9:03 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=admon;7030140]I assume that this applies to:

- those from the 'non visa on arrival countries'
- and only new arrivals, or that means revoking the license of 1000's..

If you really care..assumption isn't always the most reliable way forward allegedly.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva

If you really care..assumption isn't always the most reliable way forward allegedly.
Can I have that in english please?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:26 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

They are actually only banning some occupations it would seem...like nurses, maids, cleaners, etc as they feel they don't need to drive in order to carry out their job anyways.

At least they are doing something....of course building decent infrastructure, upping the quality and variety of public transport and encouraging certain companies to allow their staff to work from home where possible would make a lot more sense!

N.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:24 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
They are actually only banning some occupations it would seem...like nurses, maids, cleaners, etc as they feel they don't need to drive in order to carry out their job anyways.
N.
I believe that "some" actually means eighty-six in this case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.