Neom Queries

Old Apr 2nd 2023, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Mcnoodles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Neom Queries

Before I get told off and told to search older threads I have done and my queries aren't answered fully elsewhere also they're not dated that recently and it's a quickly changing beast.

I had some general queries my goal is to work on Neom or one of the other futuristic projects after I'm married so later this year/early next.

Overall ambition is to work as Project Controls manager but could also be a QS or Estimator in water and utils.

1. My degree is unrelated to my profession of Project Controls Engineering, theres not a strict degree for Project Controls Engineering anyway. I do have a HNC in Civil Engineering however. What are your experiences with Degree waivers? Or does an Arts degree still count?

2. Living preference is within a compound like NS1/2/3. How busy are these now ? I hear only NS1 is a good commute time?

3. How can you split working from home with working from site ? Just if commute is huge would you be able to do a couple of weeks from the compound?

4. Hearing mixed reviews about the management culture and toxic environments. Who are the managers being discsussed is it largely natives or expats ?

5. Do you get permanent residency for your efforts? I'm keen to do a few visits to the middle east for work as life goes on and would rather do the visa process just the once.

6. When you get your family to move over on your visa can they then work ? My wife has seen jobs relevant to her on the neom website in the marketing field but just not sure if she'd be able to partake.

Thanks and apologies if this has been covered.
Old Apr 5th 2023, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

BMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Neom Queries

Originally Posted by Mcnoodles
Before I get told off and told to search older threads I have done and my queries aren't answered fully elsewhere also they're not dated that recently and it's a quickly changing beast.

I had some general queries my goal is to work on Neom or one of the other futuristic projects after I'm married so later this year/early next.

Overall ambition is to work as Project Controls manager but could also be a QS or Estimator in water and utils.

1. My degree is unrelated to my profession of Project Controls Engineering, theres not a strict degree for Project Controls Engineering anyway. I do have a HNC in Civil Engineering however. What are your experiences with Degree waivers? Or does an Arts degree still count? I don't have experience with this but from what i have heard, for most professions the degree won't matter if you have the correct certifications. The certification may need to be validated and you may need to join the same society over here, if there is one.

2. Living preference is within a compound like NS1/2/3. How busy are these now ? I hear only NS1 is a good commute time? They try to get you into one of the communities but many are full. As a result, you may be placed in a community away from where you work, in a hotel, or in a camp. They try to place you as close to your office as they can, but space is limited and will be a challenge for the coming months and I haven't heard of too many people having much of a say in the matter.

3. How can you split working from home with working from site ? Just if commute is huge would you be able to do a couple of weeks from the compound? The current push is for people to work in the office. If you are placed far away from your office you may be able to work it out with your manager and HR partner.

4. Hearing mixed reviews about the management culture and toxic environments. Who are the managers being discsussed is it largely natives or expats ? There are good managers and toxic managers. There is no commonality I've seen between where the manager is from and level of (non)toxicity. This is a massive project with multiple business units. Each BU has its own quirks. Everyone is also on a tight timeline so there can be a fair amount of pressure. How that manifests varies from person to person.

5. Do you get permanent residency for your efforts? I'm keen to do a few visits to the middle east for work as life goes on and would rather do the visa process just the once. No general PR for working here.

6. When you get your family to move over on your visa can they then work ? My wife has seen jobs relevant to her on the neom website in the marketing field but just not sure if she'd be able to partake. First, depending on size of family, that may be a challenge. There is plenty of talk about the housing shortage on other threads. I don't know enough about visas and the work programs to be helpful. Sorry.

Thanks and apologies if this has been covered.
No worries. Glad to help. Most of this has been covered in the other forums, though and think you will get better traction if you close this and move the questions over to one of them.
Good luck
Old Apr 6th 2023, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Globaltrends is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all - I’ve just received a verbal offer from Neom and I’d appreciate responses to the following queries:
1. What does the savings plan (long term incentive plan) entail exactly?
2. My existing basic salary is relatively low for my position. However, the bonus and LTI (and other monetary benefits) at my firm are considerably high. Will Neom calculate their offer (20-25% uplift) on the basis of my overall package or only on my basic salary? Wouldn’t make sense to move if it were on the basis of the latter!
Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 11th 2023, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Newopps is an unknown quantity at this point

The savings plan requires you to save 7% of your basic (not total) salary in a range of investment funds from Vanguard (with the option of a cash fund too). NEOM also contributes 7% (and 10% after 3 years), but if you leave before 3 years, then you only get the value of your contributions back, plus or minus any investment gains.

NEOM will calculate your salary on your base salary only. If you have something like a car cash allowance that is paid monthly, I would imagine that would be included, but otherwise, nothing else.
Old Apr 11th 2023, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Globaltrends is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, that is very helpful!
Old Apr 15th 2023, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Dxbstu387 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Newopps
The savings plan requires you to save 7% of your basic (not total) salary in a range of investment funds from Vanguard (with the option of a cash fund too). NEOM also contributes 7% (and 10% after 3 years), but if you leave before 3 years, then you only get the value of your contributions back, plus or minus any investment gains.

NEOM will calculate your salary on your base salary only. If you have something like a car cash allowance that is paid monthly, I would imagine that would be included, but otherwise, nothing else.
Not 100% correct, mine was calculated with the 9.6% pension contribution included that I currently receive from my current employer. What's worrying is that the plethora of recruitment companies aren't giving candidates this information from the start. Fairly simple for what's a fairly simple job.
Old Apr 15th 2023, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Aschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond reputeAschia has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that you send an email to HR demonstrating to them how your total income is calculated. I did that (showed superannuation and recalculation of my 13,92 salaries into 12),included references to respective documents from my contract as well as links to websites which explain local legislation in the country of my employment. The offer that I received took all of it into account and included the standard top-up.

So if you have payslips with your bonuses, I believe it won't hurt to include them. Maybe show payslips a few years back,to demonstrate that this is a standard at your company and actually that's part of your salary and ask neom to take it into account. It won't hurt you and can only bring you benefits. One thing that people seem not to get - this is PIF project, so they need to substantiate your salaries, given the number of candidates they don't have time to do the research themselves. But you're just one person and you can do this job for them to prove how you would like your offer to be calculated. I don't give you guarantee that it will work,but it could help for sure.