Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

National ID Cards Revisited

National ID Cards Revisited

Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:46 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default National ID Cards Revisited

As the previous threads have left me totally confused, would somebody in the know please confirm the latest position. My understanding is that professionally qualified expats have until end-February to apply for their ID cards but that they don't actually have to be in possession of a card until the year end. Having said that, the TV was reporting last week that everyone will require an ID card by April 2009 if they wish to use the Dubai Court services. There was also an earlier report that IDs were only going to be issued to Emiratis but that appears to have been old and inaccurate news. Those like Commander who feels that British citizens should ignore such trivialities need not respond, thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: National ID Cards Revisited

Originally Posted by lionheart
As the previous threads have left me totally confused, would somebody in the know please confirm the latest position. My understanding is that professionally qualified expats have until end-February to apply for their ID cards but that they don't actually have to be in possession of a card until the year end. Having said that, the TV was reporting last week that everyone will require an ID card by April 2009 if they wish to use the Dubai Court services. There was also an earlier report that IDs were only going to be issued to Emiratis but that appears to have been old and inaccurate news. Those like Commander who feels that British citizens should ignore such trivialities need not respond, thanks.
Ours arrive today - Empost called last night!..... You need to apply now, since from the end of March you will be competing with every last house maid and shop assistant and from May every last labourer - however appalling and inconvenient it seems now its going to get a lot worse. A friend called into a centre on chance from a 'cold start' yesterday, and walked out an hour later having done the lot. Check the EIDA website - tells you all you need to know - well nearly. Of course our cards expire in May along with our visas, 'oh it will be relaced when you get your visa renewed' - yeah sure!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

Anyone know when you actually NEED to have a card? I understand the registration period is essentially a way of allowing the "educated" get theirs before the rest of the crowd can get theirs. So, you can actually wait until the end of the year to get the card but would be in a horrendous queue.

I got something from work that said;

Category 1: Expatriates working in the government sector and all professional expatriates

Registration Deadline: 28-Feb-2009

Actual Deadline: 1-Jan-2011

What is meant by "Actual Deadline" (nobody here knows, even the person who sent it) - is this when we need to start to use the card? The Actual Deadline for Emirati's was 31 March 09.

Editied as I found the following...

10) What is the deadline for legal residents to register? Will it be extended?
As per the law and regulation, the deadline for all legal residents is December 31, 2010. In order to regulate the registration flow and ensure that every Emirati and resident get registered before the deadline, the EIDA prepared an Enrolment Strategy to support the government deadline. Hence, each category has been given a specified period.

So, the card is not requried to be obtained until 1 Jan 2011? Reason I ask is that we plan to leave in 2010 when our 3 years is up, which is therefore before the cards come into use

Last edited by Robbies; Feb 9th 2009 at 4:26 am.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
LH Commander never said anyone should ignore, just not to get yourself into a state over it as it will be delayed and changes