Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is my story the classic DXB story ??

Is my story the classic DXB story ??

Old Aug 25th 2006, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Graham Iceberg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is my story the classic DXB story ??

Hi Indie Girl,

Its a bit complicated, but basically it was a local sponsor, and it was an LLC, and he was a silent partner, and it was ok until it became a success, and then I couldn't get my hands on the money brought in.

To be honest with you (and all others reading), despite the fact it wiped me out financially and also it was a situation i had to deal with carefully due to power/local contacts on his side - I really am not in any way angry, just frustrated.

Am past it now !!! Finally released..... its great !

cheers Graham
Old Aug 25th 2006, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Guessed as much Graham. Your story is very very common. Most Indian LLCs always show losses for this very reason..........only their lenders know (or think they know) how much they really make! The locals (or anyone for that matter) can never dupe a Sindhi here - they are a very very astute Indian business community.

Last edited by IndieG; Aug 25th 2006 at 3:54 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:07 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassy
HOG thats a bit of a sweeping statement it might be true for you but not everyone I have lived most of my life in the UK too but dont feel like that.........

Not everyone, no .... But I know quite a few ppl that feel the uk is far better than Dubai - any day!!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:09 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
Hi! Hope you're enjoying life back at home.

Hi Face.... Will send you a PM....maybe not right now but have to make the most of the current internet access.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:15 am
W10

Originally Posted by Graham Iceberg
Hi Indie Girl,

Its a bit complicated, but basically it was a local sponsor, and it was an LLC, and he was a silent partner, and it was ok until it became a success, and then I couldn't get my hands on the money brought in.

To be honest with you (and all others reading), despite the fact it wiped me out financially and also it was a situation i had to deal with carefully due to power/local contacts on his side - I really am not in any way angry, just frustrated.

Am past it now !!! Finally released..... its great !

cheers Graham

Damn...and I thought Dubai was perfect?? Oh no, I forgot. It's a place where if a local wants to **** you over he can...because you have no rights.

Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:22 am
W10

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I doubt that you can be serious about your "Retirement in Croatia" ;
perhaps it's be worthwhile , if you P.M.-d me about your plans , as I go there often ( and wouldn't ever dream of retiring there , with THAT medical care , traffic , transport , shopping & all else , NIl english paper to be bought , Balkan-mentality never-ending , U name it ...)
As well as "Africa, the Levant, China and South American are in my long term plans..."

makes me wonder how someone who is so at odds with the social injustices of Dubai is going to survive in any of those places.

I've spent time in some of those places, and believe me they make Dubai look like Disney World.[/QUOTE]

I've spent plenty of time in Africa (West and East) and there is corruption, but it is better than hyper-capitalism and slavery in my opinion. And of course most African countries don't claim to have 'better standards than the West). One of my major problems with Dubai are the people who live here. My trip to Africa will be to do something constructive, most probalby with the UN.

Again - in the Levant, most of the corruption is at business level, and again - they don't pretend that it is utopia.

China - well, thats because of my roots. I just want to check it out (tried Hong Kong - may do again, but want to see the mainland)

In short, no country is perfect - but Dubai (I have to add that most other places in the UAE are far more pleasant) is less perfect than most in my opinion.

The favourite place I've ever lived (apart from London) - Berlin

Old Aug 26th 2006, 11:31 am
Just Joined

BMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to allBMW 318i is a name known to all

Most people come to Dubai for its alluring culture. That is if culture meant trying to out-do each other in a game of who is the fastest to break their bank balance in a week. Dubai is great for a few years, any longer and you feel mentally drained.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BMW 318i
trying to out-do each other in a game of who is the fastest to break their bank balance in a week. Dubai is great for a few years, any longer and you feel mentally drained.

Very true...............but if you don't give a toss about out-doing your neighbours then you won't feel so drained.

I know idiots who drive new Mercs and BMWs but will wait for hours at the bank just to get a couple of hundreds and pay their fuel and leccy bills
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:27 am
W10

Originally Posted by IndieGirl

I know idiots who drive new Mercs and BMWs but will wait for hours at the bank just to get a couple of hundreds and pay their fuel and leccy bills
[horrific stereotype]Lebanese perchance [/horrific stereotype]

A blog to that effect here:

http://gautamjgoesplaces.blogspot.com/

Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:18 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Hi Face.... Will send you a PM....maybe not right now but have to make the most of the current internet access.
cool... I look forward to reading it
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Very true...............but if you don't give a toss about out-doing your neighbours then you won't feel so drained.

Yes, but I knew people like that in the UK as well. (Maybe I should pick my friends more carefully )
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Yes, but I knew people like that in the UK as well. (Maybe I should pick my friends more carefully )

Idiots are universal