Muscat vs Doha?

Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all
Default Muscat vs Doha?

Has anyone got any constructive comments with regards to moving a young family from Muscat to Doha?

No need for schools for another 4 years (who knows where I'll be then!)

Thanks
Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Muscat vs Doha?

Originally Posted by Daz968
Has anyone got any constructive comments with regards to moving a young family from Muscat to Doha?

Thanks
I'm currently in Doha and have also worked in Muscat previously as well . This time i came from Dubai to Doha and the transition was easy for me.

I'm only here with my wife but there's plenty of our neighbors who have young families and they get on great here.

Doha is not the prettiest or easiest city to live in at times and wouldn't be on my top 10 list of 'places to see before you die' but work brings me here and while that is the case then it's fine.

Obviously there's no comparison to the social side of things that they are in other GCC countries and it can be quite a lonely place if you don't put yourself about and get a social circle going but it's not all doom and gloom and it's basically what you make it.

Sometimes it's hard for people to adjust when they come from Dubai/Abu Dhabi / Muscat to Doha because it can seem like a boring mundane way of life some of the time. Places in the Gulf are just a means to an end so i try to take the best out of whatever place i'm in .

Good luck
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all

Thanks...

At least people aren't saying it's a bad place. Seems like a typical(?) Gulf place, to me. We like the outdoors in Winter (camping, mountains, wadis) which is where Oman is great.

Also, what about running, swimming, cycling in Doha?

:-)
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks...

At least people aren't saying it's a bad place. Seems like a typical(?) Gulf place, to me. We like the outdoors in Winter (camping, mountains, wadis) which is where Oman is great.

Also, what about running, swimming, cycling in Doha?

:-)
There's plenty great sporting facilities here , go and get the Explorer Qatar book from a good bookshop , that gives you a lot of basic information as well.

Also have a look at time out Doha , www.timeoutdoha.com
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

LaylaD is on a distinguished road

Thanks

Having lived in both, would rather Doha as a place to live and work and Oman as a holiday destination
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LaylaD
Having lived in both, would rather Doha as a place to live and work and Oman as a holiday destination
Interesting, why do you say that?
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Interesting, why do you say that?
Doha is not as pretty and exotic looking as Muscat but then Oman is exceptional in the GCC in terms of natural beauty/ wilderness etc. The native Omani population are also probably amongst the friendliest in the Gulf.

I prefer Doha because:

Well those are my reasons others may feel differently. I did live in Oman for 7 years though and Qatar now for 3
    Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:51 am
    Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

LaylaD - looks like you've given the definitive comparison.
    I'd agree with your comment about Qatar's work opportunities.
    The country has enormous & growing wealth which it intends to spend on Infrastructure & large industrial projects like Petrochem & aluminium smelters ( world's largest). All these 'spin-off' work for others.
    There's a good 5 yrs of growth here & if you are here for work & to save a few $$$. It's a highly acceptable place to live.
    Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:02 pm
    Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Keoic
    LaylaD - looks like you've given the definitive comparison.
    I'd agree with your comment about Qatar's work opportunities.
    The country has enormous & growing wealth which it intends to spend on Infrastructure & large industrial projects like Petrochem & aluminium smelters ( world's largest). All these 'spin-off' work for others.
    There's a good 5 yrs of growth here & if you are here for work & to save a few $$$. It's a highly acceptable place to live.
    Forgot to add Sports and Sporting events like the tennis
    Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:08 pm
    BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I always like the "its what you make of it" feel to most of the posts about Doha and Qatar

I am sure Rochdale could be a good place if you really made a go of it but to the rest of us, its just a shit rotten dingey rancid corpse of a place.

Guess I am biaised towards Oman though

Enjoy Doha
    Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:41 am
    BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
    I always like the "its what you make of it" feel to most of the posts about Doha and Qatar

I am sure Rochdale could be a good place if you really made a go of it but to the rest of us, its just a shit rotten dingey rancid corpse of a place.

Guess I am biaised towards Oman though

Enjoy Doha
    Quite a bit of truth in that , i'd go one better though , they are all shitholes everyone of these Gulf countries, same shit everyday just with varying degrees of social oppulance, i'ts hard to polish a turd....!

I wouldn't set foot in any of these khazi's if i wasn't getting paid , it's just a means to an end.

Never been to Rochdale though , does it have a Corniche as well ...?
    Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:52 pm
    BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

it does have a corniche of sorts if you have a good imagination and can romanticise the tow path of the Rochdale canal into being a cruising ground full of ferraris instead of abandoned shopping trolleys.
    Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:00 pm
    BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
    it does have a corniche of sorts if you have a good imagination and can romanticise the tow path of the Rochdale canal into being a cruising ground full of ferraris instead of abandoned shopping trolleys.
    Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:18 am
    Forum Regular

Thanks LaylaD

You haven't said anything 'bad' about Doha, so that suggests there isn't anything specific to worry about.

Old Aug 7th 2010, 6:48 pm
    Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been there for work but I will only comment on the passport issue. Apparently Qatari companies hold on to your passports. Is this true?

I'd never work for a GCC company that wanted to hold my passports whilst in their employ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.