Reload this Page >

Muscat, Oman. Living and working there,

Muscat, Oman. Living and working there,

Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:31 am
Just Joined

pepi1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Muscat, Oman. Living and working there,

Kia Ora folks.

I am a New Zealand teacher and have been offered a job in Muscat Oman, which I am really keen to take up. The idea of living in this part of the world is really exciting for me, however, I have some questions about what it is like to live and work there. Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Social life etc
Obviously as a "somewhat" young, single man I would like to know if there are options for me to socialize. Is going out for a couple drinks and stuff an acceptable thing to do? Are there bars? Cafes? Cinemas etc? Also, I am a keen sportsman, do you think there would be any problem in me looking to get involved with a local club for an activity to keep me interested in my spare time? I am a cricketer and a rugby player, is there any clubs you could recommend?

Transport
I understand that I will be transported to and from work. How easy is it to get around in my own time? Is public transport an option, or would you recommend buying a car?

Internet
Considering I will be so far away from home I would really like to be reassured that I could get decent quality internet connection for cheapish?

Also, anything else you think would be useful to know?

Thanks very much for your help everyone, it will be much appreciated.
I look forward to hearing what you have to say.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Muscat, Oman. Living and working there,

Sadly, you will have to put your sporting activities on hold. With ambient temperatures in the high 30degCs over six months a year and oppressive humidity, only indoor sports can be considered. As for an active social life, Dubai would be much better. Public transport is virtually non-existent. Good luck though.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mentalist
Sadly, you will have to put your sporting activities on hold. With ambient temperatures in the high 30degCs over six months a year and oppressive humidity, only indoor sports can be considered. As for an active social life, Dubai would be much better. Public transport is virtually non-existent. Good luck though.
Thanks mentalist,
Any idea on the quality of internet access in the city?
I have noticed a few cricket clubs around in Muscat that I am in contact with and I see they play from September through to March, so I'm still holding out hope I'm not a huge party animal so I am more just wondering if it is "culturally acceptable" in Muscat to go out for a few drinks etc.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore mentaltits mate, he talks out of his arse 99% of the time

The weather is beautiful 8 months of the year. I never lived in muscat but I guarantee there will be cricket and rugby teams and yes you can go for a beer but it's expensive and nothing like you'd enjoy in NZ.

Muscat's a quiet but lovely place, somebody who lives there will be along to fill you in

Internet will be expensive and slower than you're used to but better than nowt
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself the indispensible Explorer guide for info on setting up

http://www.askexplorer.com/shop/inde...visitors-guide

Also they do an off road Oman one.

Muscat is a fantastic place. The local rugby club is Muscat Pirates. Lots of tournaments across the Middle East. I was speaking to a Kiwi last night who's playing Rugby League in Dubai next week so both formats catered for.

Good luck
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:30 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Saudi so similar weather . I do badminton and running outside and it's okay . I'm imagining as a teacher you will have July and August as holiday so you probably wouldn't be there at the hottest time .
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sandboy
Ignore mentaltits mate, he talks out of his arse 99% of the time

The weather is beautiful 8 months of the year. I never lived in muscat but I guarantee there will be cricket and rugby teams and yes you can go for a beer but it's expensive and nothing like you'd enjoy in NZ.

Muscat's a quiet but lovely place, somebody who lives there will be along to fill you in

Internet will be expensive and slower than you're used to but better than nowt
Sandboy, cheers mate. As you would realise its a pretty big move from NZ, so your help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Also, Thanks for the heads up on mentalist
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Get yourself the indispensible Explorer guide for info on setting up

http://www.askexplorer.com/shop/inde...visitors-guide

Also they do an off road Oman one.

Muscat is a fantastic place. The local rugby club is Muscat Pirates. Lots of tournaments across the Middle East. I was speaking to a Kiwi last night who's playing Rugby League in Dubai next week so both formats catered for.

Good luck
Cheers Saudiflares. Thanks for the insight on rugby and league in the area. Its would be fun to play some sports outside of my home country so its great to know there are opportunities to do that, thanks
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I'm in Saudi so similar weather . I do badminton and running outside and it's okay . I'm imagining as a teacher you will have July and August as holiday so you probably wouldn't be there at the hottest time .
Yeah that seems to be the time of year where the main break for schools happen. thanks for the post
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

DOCUAE is a jewel in the roughDOCUAE is a jewel in the roughDOCUAE is a jewel in the roughDOCUAE is a jewel in the rough

http://muscatrugby.com/

Link to Muscat rugby club for you. I'm sure there are cricket leagues etc. there too.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:23 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

Originally Posted by pepi1
I look forward to hearing what you have to say.
Your nickname will be "bibi-wahid"
Old Apr 20th 2013, 12:51 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously as a "somewhat" young, single man I would like to know if there are options for me to socialize. Is going out for a couple drinks and stuff an acceptable thing to do?
YES. BUT DONT DRINK AND DRIVE. I HAD A TW*T REVERSE INTO ME ON THE MAIN ROAD RECENTLY AND MY INSURANCE GOT HIT AS HE CLAIMED IT WAS ME THAT DROVE INTO HIM. ANY SNIFF OF ALCOHOL AND IT IS AUTOMATIC CAR IMPOUND AND 72 HRS IN SLAMMER. GET AN OVERPRICED TAXI OR A LIFT.

Are there bars?
YES

Cafes?
HAHAHA - YES ABSOLUTELY. LOADS. BUT DO CHOOSE WHERE YOU LIVE CAREFULLY. IF YOU WANT TO PM WHERE THE SCHOOL IS AND WHAT YOUR HOUSING ALLOWANCE OR PROVIDED ACCOMMODATION IS FEEL FREE.

Cinemas etc?
YES - although most nudity is skipped as is swearing - although the rape scene in one of the Batman movies was kept in.

Also, I am a keen sportsman, do you think there would be any problem in me looking to get involved with a local club for an activity to keep me interested in my spare time? I am a cricketer and a rugby player, is there any clubs you could recommend?
YES - MUSCAT PIRATES, ALTHOUGH THE SEASON HAS JUST ENDED. 47 TODAY! DEG C!

I understand that I will be transported to and from work. How easy is it to get around in my own time? Is public transport an option, or would you recommend buying a car?
GET A CAR. PREFERABLY AS BIG AS YOU CAN AFFORD. OMAN HAS HIGHEST PER CAPITA DEATH RATES IN GCC, AND I THINK IS NO3 OR STUPID IN THE WORLD. CARS ARE BIG, THEY GO FAST, THEY TEXT/CALL/DO MAKEUP IN 3 TON STEEL MACHINES AT 160 KMPH. YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE IN THE WAY OR YOU WILL GET VERY HURT. BUY BIG.

Considering I will be so far away from home I would really like to be reassured that I could get decent quality internet connection for cheapish?
RELATIVELY DECENT - YES. HIGH SPEED? NO. CHEAPISH? NO. AFFORDABLE, YES. GOOGLE NAWRAS OMAN AND OMANTEL FOR THEIR WEBSITES FOR RATES.

SCHOOL SEASON IS NORTHERN HEMISPHERE TIMINGS. 2 MONTHS OFF JULY/AUGUST, 1-2 WEEKS AT DECEMBER, 2 WEEKS IN EASTER, PLUS ASSOCIATED PUBLIC HOLIDAYS.

ASK IF YOU NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING ELSE. SORRY ABOUT CAPS LOCK BUT I CANT BE ARSED TO SORT OUT FANCY FORMATTING

Last edited by OriginalSunshine; Apr 20th 2013 at 12:54 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

^^ No need to shout, but of all the GCC states, Oman is the one I'd go back to without any hesitation at all. I liked the people, the landscape and the laid back atmosphere. The only thing I didn't like was my boss, and, it goes without saying, he was a Brit....
Old Apr 20th 2013, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Obviously as a "somewhat" young, single man I would like to know if there are options for me to socialize. Is going out for a couple drinks and stuff an acceptable thing to do?
YES. BUT DONT DRINK AND DRIVE. I HAD A TW*T REVERSE INTO ME ON THE MAIN ROAD RECENTLY AND MY INSURANCE GOT HIT AS HE CLAIMED IT WAS ME THAT DROVE INTO HIM. ANY SNIFF OF ALCOHOL AND IT IS AUTOMATIC CAR IMPOUND AND 72 HRS IN SLAMMER. GET AN OVERPRICED TAXI OR A LIFT.

Are there bars?
YES

Cafes?
HAHAHA - YES ABSOLUTELY. LOADS. BUT DO CHOOSE WHERE YOU LIVE CAREFULLY. IF YOU WANT TO PM WHERE THE SCHOOL IS AND WHAT YOUR HOUSING ALLOWANCE OR PROVIDED ACCOMMODATION IS FEEL FREE.

Cinemas etc?
YES - although most nudity is skipped as is swearing - although the rape scene in one of the Batman movies was kept in.

Also, I am a keen sportsman, do you think there would be any problem in me looking to get involved with a local club for an activity to keep me interested in my spare time? I am a cricketer and a rugby player, is there any clubs you could recommend?
YES - MUSCAT PIRATES, ALTHOUGH THE SEASON HAS JUST ENDED. 47 TODAY! DEG C!

GET A CAR. PREFERABLY AS BIG AS YOU CAN AFFORD. OMAN HAS HIGHEST PER CAPITA DEATH RATES IN GCC, AND I THINK IS NO3 OR STUPID IN THE WORLD. CARS ARE BIG, THEY GO FAST, THEY TEXT/CALL/DO MAKEUP IN 3 TON STEEL MACHINES AT 160 KMPH. YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE IN THE WAY OR YOU WILL GET VERY HURT. BUY BIG.

RELATIVELY DECENT - YES. HIGH SPEED? NO. CHEAPISH? NO. AFFORDABLE, YES. GOOGLE NAWRAS OMAN AND OMANTEL FOR THEIR WEBSITES FOR RATES.

SCHOOL SEASON IS NORTHERN HEMISPHERE TIMINGS. 2 MONTHS OFF JULY/AUGUST, 1-2 WEEKS AT DECEMBER, 2 WEEKS IN EASTER, PLUS ASSOCIATED PUBLIC HOLIDAYS.

ASK IF YOU NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING ELSE. SORRY ABOUT CAPS LOCK BUT I CANT BE ARSED TO SORT OUT FANCY FORMATTING
Originalsunshine, thanks so much for the details in your post. I will definiteley PM you if I need more info if you don't mind. Thanks again for all the helpful advice.
Old May 4th 2013, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

dowdyp is an unknown quantity at this point

I have only just registered with Britishexpats
I have been exporting in the Middle East for about 26 years employed by a UK manufacturer.

However just recently I was offered a two your contract in Muscat with the client I have been involved with for this 20years.

I am looking to rent a small property hopefully semi furnished one or two bedrooms or even a self contained studio room as I am not intending brining my family out as it is not worth it.

Finding somewhere to live in Muscat rather than the normal hotel accommodation is a bit strange.

I don't know anyone can point me in the right direction or offer any advice it would be most welcome. I have emailed a number of property companies but they are not responding.
Thank you
Peter Dowdy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.